Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Question to Derek  (Read 1738 times)

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Question to Derek
on: June 11, 2011, 08:44:53 PM
Hey Derek...

I heard that you're a metal head.

Do you know how to shred? I mean, to you play keyboard solos?
  • Mozart-Sonata KV310 - A minor

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Re: Question to Derek
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 10:30:21 PM
I love listening to metal, but I've never felt that interested in writing or playing keyboard solos that would work with the music. I played guitar in a death metal band for a few years, and I also tried playing keyboards with the same band. I did not enjoy it.

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:15:34 PM
hum... I see.

One more thing...I'm listening to our improvs. and you rocks. There's a improv. on your youtube channel where you play some Chopin-like music. You just did that by ear?

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:25:28 AM
Yessir, absolutely. All my improv is spontaneous/by ear.

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 01:49:31 AM
But...how?

I mean, I ever heard that classical music is the best way to accquire tecnique. All the great pianistas/keyboardists on pop/rock music has classical formation.

I really want to learn improv. I can play some chopin and bach stuff, but I cant use this tecnique when improvising.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 02:22:19 AM
I'm sure Derek couldn't do it when he started playing piano for the first time. Improvisation grew out of the general ability to play piano for me, once I played various styles, memorized a lot of pieces, rhythms, building blocks of music, listening experience etc, improvisations could flow out without too much of a focused attention as to what notes to play and the direction the piece moves.

I think master improvisers develop this attribute, they can control what they do more so, but it might not actually be a necessary element of improvisation as a whole but rather a category of improvising. I love the freedom of improvisation like a meditation not trying to conform to a particular style or system, others like certain styles depending on their musical past and experience. Certainly it is very rewarding learning improvisation styles I love improv based on Cocktail lounge music, another rhythmic system I love is the Bosa Nova!

There is another side of improv where you let your minds eye hear sounds and the hands react. But this is a very fuzzy area to explain because the mind slips between the two when you attempt to train it. When you hear something in your minds eye then your hands play it, often the hands do not exactly create what your mind imagines so when your ears hear this it alters what the mind thinks about in the future! So the hands can effect the sound in  your mind and the mind can effect the hand. This tug of war is very interesting but not something I have fully understood through my own improv exploration.

"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 05:24:37 AM
But...how?

I mean, I ever heard that classical music is the best way to accquire tecnique. All the great pianistas/keyboardists on pop/rock music has classical formation.

I really want to learn improv. I can play some chopin and bach stuff, but I cant use this tecnique when improvising.

lostinidlewonder is right, I didn't start out improvising like I do now. It is a very gradual process. In a nutshell, though, I started by learning a single scale, G# minor, and making up simple riffs in it over octave chords. Sometimes the riffs would come out all at once, sometimes I'd "build" them. At the same time I practiced "noodling." Also, from the very beginning I recorded myself and listened to these recordings. They were not terribly good, but I really enjoyed that I was creating my own music. I think listening to the recordings created a "positive reinforcement" whereby whenever I made something cool, I didn't realize it til I heard the recording, and this gave me more confidence. Eventually I sought advice on improvisation and met Ted here on pianostreet. He gave me a lot of advice/tips and encouragement on improv and it turns out that was exactly what I needed. I think I'd probably just be another one of the millions of new age kiddies out there if I'd never met him! I grew up in what I think was perhaps the last generation that trusted in its elders rather than its iPhones and ever-present Google for learning and information. Thank God  :)

"How" is really difficult to answer in a single forum post. Feel free to pm me if you'd like to chat more about it!

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 03:42:58 PM
For anyone starting improvisation its tricky, no one can just improvise amazingly and make it sound how they want it to sound straight away! I found pretending to be the composer themself, or using similar chords or patterns they use helped me develop a more "classical" sounding improvisational technique. With everything tho, its about trial and error, practice and more practice!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert