Piano Forum

Topic: It is possible to play one part from Moussorgsky's suite "Pictures"?  (Read 3128 times)

Offline pianovlad1996

• PS Silver Member
I'm "building" my summer repertoire.... ;D I just want to know if it is possible to play only one or two parts with promenades too from Moussorgsky's Suite "Pictures at an exhibition" because some parts are too difficult and I loooove this suite. ::) Please write your suggestions. :) It will help me.
Current repertoire:
Bach Toccata in E minor
Beethoven Sonata op.110
Rachmaninov Corelli Variations
Liszt Paganini Etudes No.2 and 6.
Strauss Burlesque in d minor, Brahms piano concerto No.2.

Offline redbaron

Of course it is!

People play selections from such lofty works as the Goldberg Variations and Brahms' Paganini Variations, there's no reason why you can't play a tasteful selection from Pictures at an Exhibition.

Excellent choice by the way, Pictures is one of my absolute favourites!  ;D

Offline asiantraveller101

• PS Silver Member
Why not? nobody is blocking you. You may add the other parts when you are ready for them. Sometimes, you may even discover that after learning the easier ones, the "harder" ones become easier because you have grasped the composer's individual compositional idioms. Moreover, each piece is like little character piece, grouped under the big umbrella of "Pictures". Enjoy!!

Offline gerryjay

• PS Silver Member
Dear Vlad,
your question arise many answers.

1. This is a very difficult piece of the repertoire, and a particular one, because the piano writing of Musorgsky is sometimes odd. So, the very standard advice is: stay away from this until you really have the skills to tackle it.

2. On the other hand, building an unabridged repertoire is a matter of trying anything, from late Middle Ages to just composed works. Sometimes, it is impossible to play everything in its entirety. Specially when you consider your formation years, I think it is best to play three pairs of dances from three different composers than a single suite by Bach, for instance. That said, playing two or three numbers from the Tableaux is cool.

3. On...err...the third hand, Musorgsky order is very precise. It is not something you can disregard. So, although it is unlikely - in my opinion - that you will find a solid excerpt to play it live, it is also a great challenge to do so. But you must know people disregard the composer apparent intention all the time. As an example, aside from the forementioned Bach's and Brahms' ones, Chopin' etudes opus 10 or opus 25 (with their amazing sequences of tonalities, which are destroyed when you don't play them all).

In the end, it is really a matter of trying to see what results. Since I think Musorgsky's music is worth any attempt, very good luck with this plan!

Best regards,
Jay.

Offline yodaofpiano

• PS Silver Member
Yay for Pictures. I think it is perfectly okay for you to play just one of the promenades because they have precise endings. The only movements that I can think of right now that are really supposed to be continuous are Baba Yaga to Gate of Kiev. Con Linguis in Mortua lingua would also be kind of awkward to play by itself but the Promenades I think can stand on their own. All my opinion!

Offline pianovlad1996

• PS Silver Member
Yes...  :)
I was thinking at Promenade-The Gnome and Promenade-The old castle. I can't play the meno mosso part in baba yaga and the octaves run at the end. And Great Gate of Kiev is another problem for me. But if I can play only 2 or 3 parts from the suite it's fine. Thanks for your advices. ;D
Current repertoire:
Bach Toccata in E minor
Beethoven Sonata op.110
Rachmaninov Corelli Variations
Liszt Paganini Etudes No.2 and 6.
Strauss Burlesque in d minor, Brahms piano concerto No.2.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Check out the Bydlo.  I find this one has a similar mood to the Old Castle; it's got a really neat buildup throughout.

I was wondering about doing the same thing, playing selections, at one point.  What got to me was that in certain movements, there would be a very short section that at the time was impossible for me.  The last bit of Gnomus terrified me, and large sections of Baba Yaga and the Great Gate had a similar effect (those three are my favorites from the suite!)
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert