Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Schumann's Kreisleriana quoted in... Rachmaninoff?  (Read 2645 times)

Offline everran

• PS Silver Member
I've wracked my brain over this one, but I can't put my finger on it.

Listening to Schumann's Kreisleriana movement 1, Rachmaninoff's concerto style distinctly comes to mind. In the below clip, can you make out any resemblance in 0:11 - 0:15? This little motif repeats a couple times, and it's those two high notes- that's when I hear trumpets. I've looked in Tchaikovsky and Chopin concertos too, but I'm quite sure it's Rachmaninoff.

Does anyone recognize these spinning notes in another piece? And thanks.

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann's Kreisleriana quoted in... Rachmaninoff?
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 01:57:20 AM
I've wracked my brain over this one, but I can't put my finger on it. Please help!

Listening to Schumann's Kreisleriana movement 1, Rachmaninoff's concerto style distinctly comes to mind. In the below clip, can you make out any resemblance in 0:11 - 0:15? This little motif repeats a couple times, and it's those two high notes- that's when I hear trumpets. I've looked in Tchaikovsky and Chopin concertos too, but I'm quite sure it's Rachmaninoff.

Does anyone recognize these spinning notes in another piece? And thanks.

I think I know where you mean. It's just before a load of thick chords in the piano, in the last movement of the 3rd concerto (I think).

Offline everran

• PS Silver Member
Re: Schumann's Kreisleriana quoted in... Rachmaninoff?
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 02:50:02 AM
Thanks for the reply,

I think you may be right, Skip to 1:55 in the clip.

Or, do you suppose it's rather a coincidence? It doesn't sound quite close enough, but at least those are the trumpets I was thinking of.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert