Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Master Class... I don't get it.  (Read 1648 times)

Offline qpalqpal

• PS Silver Member
Master Class... I don't get it.
on: July 16, 2011, 03:14:33 PM
Hey guys. I have heard of master classes and they are cool, however I can't find one in Boston nor do I know the details. Can someone give be a detailed analysis of what a master class is for piano? How does it work, the money it costs, how to take a class, etc.

-Live Long,
Esteban
Working on:
Bach Invention 7 (also Tureck's book)
Clementi Sonatina 3
Rachmaninoff Moment Musicaux no. 3
Skrjabin Prelude op.11 no.4
Joplin The Favorite Rag

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Master Class... I don't get it.
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 11:35:35 PM
It is sort of like having a lesson in public.  You play for the teacher, he/she comments, but there are also observers - those who listen in on the lesson but do not directly participate.  Most likely fellow masterclass participants will be listening as well.  There may also be a question period to open up discussion of the topics at hand to the people.  

As to fees, it depends on the situation.  Some masterclasses charge you to just be an auditor, some are open to the general public free of charge.  

Check your local universities for masterclasses if you just want to observe.  In some cases they may be mainly advertised to students, but are free to attend if you know the event exists.  

Check out this video series on Barenboim's Beethoven Masterclass:
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline nystul

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:43:58 PM
Check out this video series on Barenboim's Beethoven Masterclass:

I felt like instantly a better musician for having watched those Barenboim clips.

Offline akasimone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 06:38:34 AM
I felt like instantly a better musician for having watched those Barenboim clips.

My thoughts exactly!  Thanks for posting that, quantum!!!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert