Piano Forum

Topic: Balancing Arm Weight and Dexterity  (Read 2134 times)

Offline jr11

• PS Silver Member
Balancing Arm Weight and Dexterity
on: August 25, 2004, 07:09:57 PM
For the last few months I have been trying to get the concept of arm weight, having spent the last 30 years relying on the strength I have built up in my fingers. Up until now I played minimal movement, except from the wrists to fingertips. I can see that using arm weight is superior, but all that upper movement makes accuracy and dynamics very difficult to control. Perhaps its just a matter of breaking 30 years of bad habits, but suggestions to ease the transition would be most appreciated... thanks!

Offline monk

• PS Silver Member
Re: Balancing Arm Weight and Dexterity
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 09:42:41 PM
If you have difficulties with control, you are doing something wrong.

Playing with the whole arm makes control MUCH easier, because the movements are now more "unified".

It seems you have understood something wrongly; and with all technical / motional things it's absolutely crucial to have personal supervision by a teacher. It's not transferable by words, but only by personal experience.

So, we here can say little regarding your problem; get a competent teacher.

And since you are rather old, chances are that you already have developed difficult-to-break habits that only can be altered with very competent, sensitive help.

Best Wishes,
Monk

Offline jr11

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 11:49:18 PM

And since you are rather old, chances are that you already have developed difficult-to-break habits that only can be altered with very competent, sensitive help.

LOL! Yes, I do have a respected teacher; I was hoping for a reply from someone with something useful to say.

Offline super_ardua

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 09:12:54 PM
I have a theory : to play piano,  one does not need to push down as hard as one thinksl

but I may be wrong so you may ignore me
We must do,  we shall do!!!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert