Piano Forum

Topic: ABRSM compared to other exams  (Read 26925 times)

Offline poiuytrewq11zc

• PS Silver Member
ABRSM compared to other exams
on: August 01, 2011, 02:06:15 PM
In the state of New York, we have something called NYSSMA (New York State School Music Association.) It's very popular in Long Island and upstate. However, in Manhatten, ABRSM is the exam that most people take. In NYSSMA, there are only 6 levels, and much less requirements. You only need to be able to play a certain amount of major scales (all 12 for level 6), perform 1 solo piece, and sightread 2 lines of very simple music. The interesting thing is that level 6 has such a broad syllabus. It ranges from easier pieces like Grieg's "March of The Dwarfs" to college level repertoire like Appassionata and Chopin's 2nd scherzo. One person can be playing something as simple as Mozart's Fantasia in D minor while another person is performing Rachmaninoff's Prelude in G minor, yet they're considered to be at the same level. Does this gigantic clause also exist in ABRSM? And how tough is the judging? NYSSMA judges are unpredictable, some are lenient while some are very stern. Are there other state-wide music exams like NYSSMA?

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: ABRSM compared to other exams
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:24:15 PM
All I know, is that very few exam systems are as hard or even close to being as hard as the AMEB.

I used to sit the Trinity exams and ABRSM before I got to University, and sadly enough - I passed them...

Which is bizarre, because before University, I used to play like sh*t.

Offline poiuytrewq11zc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 11:32:16 PM
lol. My teacher thinks trying ABRSM this year would be a good idea, but I'm a little taken aback by the requirements they put for kids. Maybe its because I'm used to an "easy" exam, or perhaps ABRSM has pretty high standards (as it seems.) Exams don't seem to be too beneficial, but experience is experience.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 02:15:06 AM
every exam should be the same. For one fact, I've heard that the AMEB sets high standards in their exams, from what I've heard from a friend who has done the exams. I don't know anything about Trinity though.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 04:03:53 PM
You should check out The Achievement Program, which is a partnership between the Royal Conservatory and Carnegie Hall. Carnegie spent many efforts looking for the best system to support, and this is what they came up with, been around for over 100 years. Grades 1-10, plus 2 prep levels A and B, plus the diploma level, so really it's 13 graded levels.

https://www.theachievementprogram.org/

the piano syllabus is online and it's a free download, check it out!!

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 10:15:24 PM
They have the same sort of thing for AMEB. Preliminary to get them started in piano exams, Grades 1 - 8, a Certificate of performance, then 3 Diploma levels. Associate, Licentiate & Fellowship... and believe me - that last one is bloody hard to get...

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 12:23:02 AM
Yeah, I think you have to submit an application to the office or something. I think they next 'invite' you to do the recital. You only have to do the Certificate of Performance if you fail grade 8, I think. Then there's also the piano for leisure where it is similar to the piano syllabus except that you play less pieces and less scales. the pieces are just as hard though. After finishing Grade 8 in the piano for Leisure you have to do the certificate of performance before going on to diplomas, if you choose to.

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 03:17:08 AM
They have the same sort of thing for AMEB. Preliminary to get them started in piano exams, Grades 1 - 8, a Certificate of performance, then 3 Diploma levels. Associate, Licentiate & Fellowship... and believe me - that last one is bloody hard to get...

What's AMEB?

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 05:46:02 AM
It's the Australian Musical Examination Board. Basically the main musical examination authority of Australia, just like Abrsm/Trinity guildhall  is to UK.

Offline supapiano225

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 08:44:19 AM
Proud to have passed Grade 2 AMEB with credit.
piano is my passion!

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 08:54:11 AM
My congratulations! I've heard that the AMEB piano exams are harder than other exam authorities.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 10:35:29 AM
My congratulations! I've heard that the AMEB piano exams are harder than other exam authorities.

Yes - that is true. Which is why I like to teach it... Makes me work harder to get my students the marks they deserve.

Offline danhuyle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 11:14:51 AM
I did AMEB up to grade 7. Up until that point, I had no idea how to use a metronome and had no understanding of music styles.

When you get to AMus and LMus, that's when things get really intense. High attention to detail, color and rhythm all at once.
Perfection itself is imperfection.

Currently practicing
Albeniz Triana
Scriabin Fantaisie Op28
Scriabin All Etudes Op8

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 11:29:57 AM
I did AMEB up to grade 7. Up until that point, I had no idea how to use a metronome and had no understanding of music styles.

When you get to AMus and LMus, that's when things get really intense. High attention to detail, color and rhythm all at once.

I got screamed at once for not knowing how to use a metronome!

And a really difficult selection of pieces to choose from. I noticed, compared to other exam authorities, that AMEB has a lot more pieces to choose from in every list even in the diplomas.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 01:25:32 PM

You think that's bad - try the FMus... that's a bloody killer.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 01:31:59 PM
Is a fellowship like a doctor in performance?

Offline thinkgreenlovepiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 09:21:27 PM
I'm doing RCM...
but what I've always wondered is how these exams could be possibly standardized.
I played terribly during some exams and still managed to end up with a decent mark; other exams I did better but my mark did not always reflect that. There have been times when my teacher insisted on one thing and the examiner insisted on another. There's only one examiner in the room, the examiner is different every time and there is no moderation of exams as far as I'm aware. So I really wonderwhat a 60 or 70 or 80 or 90 really means.
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
~Leopold Stokowski

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 12:04:07 AM
In the AMEB there are these grades I think:
A+: distinction
A: honours
B+: credit
B: don't know
C: satisfactory
D: unsatisfactory

These are all I know. There are no point systems in AMEB exams.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 01:33:02 AM
The pieces in the AMEB syllabus are difinitely  harder than the other syllabuses.

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 03:02:42 AM
I'm doing RCM...
but what I've always wondered is how these exams could be possibly standardized.
I played terribly during some exams and still managed to end up with a decent mark; other exams I did better but my mark did not always reflect that. There have been times when my teacher insisted on one thing and the examiner insisted on another. There's only one examiner in the room, the examiner is different every time and there is no moderation of exams as far as I'm aware. So I really wonderwhat a 60 or 70 or 80 or 90 really means.

It's interesting that you say this. . . but perhaps the contradiction between your thoughts about your performances and the examiners' means that you're the inconsistent one, not them  ;)

I know a few of the examiners personally and professionally, and they always talk about how, when they attend the annual development sessions and workshops, they all listen to a mock exam together and mark it (give grades). With over a hundred or even 2 hundred examiners in the room from all over Canada and the US, they usually all score the same performance within just a few points of each other.

Here is some info:

"Members of the College of Examiners come from a wide variety of educational and performance backgrounds, however, minimum qualifications may include the following:

* A Bachelor of Music or an equivalent degree/diploma
    * Five years professional teaching experience
    * Adjudicating experience at festivals/competitions
    * Knowledge of the The Royal Conservatory Examinations curriculum through student particpation
    * Strong organizational time management skills

Prior to being admitted to the College of Examiners, all examiners must successfully complete the Examiner Apprenticeship Program consisting of an intensive series of lectures, demonstrations, and practicum, as well as sitting-in with a mentor examiner for three consecutive examination sessions.

Three senior College members are appointed as Chief Examiners to provide leadership to the College of Examiners. They are responsible for all College members in the areas of Academic Standards, Training and Development, and Theoretical Subjects.

All members of the College of Examiners receive regular feedback from the Office of the Chief Examiners through.

* Annual review and development reports
    * Evaluation of written critiques
    * Comparative analysis of mark averages
    * Observational sessions with Chief Examiners

Examiners also attend annual professional development workshops in order to refine their skills, maintain evaluation consistency, and participate in pedagogical discussions with other College members."

All that being said, who knows about each individual situation, maybe you were graded inaccurately.

As far as the disagreement between your teacher and the examiner, what was it about? Usually the examiners don't mark off for something that could vary with interpretations.

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 03:03:21 AM
The pieces in the AMEB syllabus are difinitely  harder than the other syllabuses.

Which pieces and which grades? Just curious . . .

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 03:17:06 AM
I mean that when some pieces are for example in 6th grade AMEb the same piece may be in 7th grade ABRSM.

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 03:22:04 AM
I mean that when some pieces are for example in 6th grade AMEb the same piece may be in 7th grade ABRSM.

Oh, but the grading number system is different, right?

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 03:28:48 AM
The grading system is similar its just that AMEB makes the pieces look harder. 

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 03:29:59 AM
The grading system is similar its just that AMEB makes the pieces look harder. 

So they have the same number of levels or grades? Like 1-8?

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 03:32:14 AM
Yes. Both have grades 1-8, assosciate, licentiate, and fellowship. I think the diplomas are just as hard though.

Offline danhuyle

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 06:14:29 AM
You think that's bad - try the FMus... that's a bloody killer.

Have not looked THAT far ahead. I couldn't even imagine the intensity of FMus. The demands of Amus and LMus are high enough, how much higher can it go? 
Perfection itself is imperfection.

Currently practicing
Albeniz Triana
Scriabin Fantaisie Op28
Scriabin All Etudes Op8

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 07:48:29 AM
Perhaps other fellowship exams may not be as demanding as the AMEB FMus exams.

Offline supapiano225

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 01:06:12 PM

Thats true Raindrop prelude {chopin} is 7th grade ABRSM and its only
6th piano for leisure AMEB.

My piano teacher says you dont need to do grade 8, you can do 1-7 and diplomas, shes not even s
sure they still have it, they have grade 8 piano for leisure though.
piano is my passion!

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 01:18:43 PM
Raindrop is also in the AMEB piano syllabus. some pieces are in both the leisure and piano syllabus.

Thats true Raindrop prelude {chopin} is 7th grade ABRSM and its only
6th piano for leisure AMEB.

My piano teacher says you dont need to do grade 8, you can do 1-7 and diplomas, shes not even s
sure they still have it, they have grade 8 piano for leisure though.

No I don't think that is true. You definitely cannot skip grade 8 if you want to obtain a diploma, although you can skip grades 1-7 if you are good enough. All AMEB syllabi (piano, leisure,violin, sax, harp, trumpet, etc) have grades 1 to 8 and the essential diplmas of AMus and LMus. However in Leisure syllabus, you have to do a certificate of performance before taking the diplomas. Certificate of performance is basically like grade 9 but easier than AMus.

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 02:17:23 PM
Interesting, in our system, you can skip anything you want, and take any exam you want!

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 10:21:58 AM
Hell yeah! I'm going to take the Fellowship! not.  ;D

Offline frankie_is_awesome

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: November 08, 2020, 09:43:34 AM
Proud to have passed Grade 2 AMEB with credit.

Congratulations, I've only done my Grade 8 AMEB exams with honours and when I did my Grade 7, I did so sh*t and I got a B. Definitely, I believe that the AMEB exams are harder than other music examinations because in my past experiences, you have to know your general knowledge of all your pieces, you need technical skills (scales), aural, memory, sight-reading, cadences and all that stuff. It's a lot of work to do and I was so stressed when I did my grade 8. Luckily, I didn't do as bad as I thought I did.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert