Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Burgmuller Op 105  (Read 3527 times)

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Burgmuller Op 105
on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:18 PM
Anyone very familiar with these pieces? I really like the C minor study, no. 2, was wondering about what level it is. Jane Magrath's guide puts Op. 105 as level 9 (1-10  beg to early adv). But I wondered specifically about the C minor study, number 2. Anyone?

Offline ionian_tinnear

• PS Silver Member
Re: Burgmuller Op 105
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 02:03:26 PM
   Opus 105 is a great set.  #2 is one of the easy ones, and I don't think I'd rate it a 9 of 10 in difficulty, more like a 5, but these numbering systems for difficulty confuse me as do the grade numbers.  What is easy for me could be hard for someone else, and something easy for someone else might be hard for me.

Even though #2 isn't very hard, it has a technical challenge, so it's still good to learn, as is the entire opus 105.  Some of the pieces get very hard indeed, but most are fun and melodic as the composer intended.  I play them often.
Albeniz: Suite Espaņola #1, Op 47,
Bach: French Suite #5 in G,
Chopin: Andante Spianato,
Chopin: Nocturne F#m, Op 15 #2
Chopin: Ballade #1 Gm & #3 Aflat Mj

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Burgmuller Op 105
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 04:51:12 PM
Well, the numbered systems can be confusing, but the idea is to group pieces together with similar difficulty. Just to say it's a "9" or a "5" doesn't mean anything unless you know OTHER pieces that are a 9 or a 5. That was my original question: how difficult do you think op. 105 no. 2 is? Not a numbered answer unless you say which system you're using

Macgrath 9
ABRSM 5
NMCP/TAP 7
etc.

So, when you say it's a "5", what other pieces are a 5?

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert