\"\"
Piano Forum logo

What happened to you today? (Read 10998 times)

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
Re: What happened to you today?
«Reply #50 on: October 23, 2011, 10:14:41 PM »
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #51 on: October 24, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
As you can read from my post, I am a little out of touch with modern methods. Piano class brings to mind a room full of spinets, with students playing the exact same thing all together. That's how it was done in the 50's.

What you are doing seems much more effective. As an enhancement maybe you might wire the extra output of each keyboard into a central switching system where you could listen to each student individually.

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #52 on: October 24, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #53 on: October 27, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »
You are a real Heroine for teaching that violin class. Whew! What I do after an auditory assault is retreat to a tuned keyboard for a short practice session. I need to reset my ears!

Thank you for the report on how the voucher program is working. Every child is entitled to those vouchers (school choice) because everyone pays the taxes to support the schools. This is the first time I've heard of a home/charter school setup. I find your comments very encouraging.

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #54 on: October 27, 2011, 02:30:30 PM »

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #55 on: October 28, 2011, 01:48:39 AM »

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #56 on: October 28, 2011, 02:16:26 AM »
I had an exam on Law and commerce.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #57 on: October 28, 2011, 07:12:42 PM »
I had an exam on Law and commerce.

Didn't you say you were 15? That exam sounds more like something for University or something to me, kinda scary  :o  :P

I had a math test today!

WOO!  I get my new room tomorrow!  Yipeeeeee!  I wasn't positive if it was really going to happen at all, but it's really happening and it's happening tomorrow!  Yip, Yip!  That means I can musically decorate, too  ;D.

That's really cool Mayla!!  8)

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #58 on: October 29, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
My flat did not have water so I did not brush my teeth. :o

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #59 on: October 29, 2011, 03:52:28 PM »
I had a major inspiration at improv today and now I'm regretful because I decided to go with the flow of the moment instead of getting my recording device...it was huge. Now I'm very regretful. But on the other hand I think if I had actually got up to get that recording device it probably would have interrupted the flow even more :P
I'm slowly waking up and getting aware of what happened and I feel so frustrated...:(

But okay, deep inside I know I can even do something better than that one today....someday...and maybe I can even conjure this incredible unspeakable thing to appear again, even much more intense, and even closer....!!!

oh well :(

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #60 on: October 29, 2011, 05:50:35 PM »
Don't be sad Wolfi! It's still there, it's just hiding a little.  :)  :P

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #61 on: October 29, 2011, 05:55:29 PM »
I had a major inspiration at improv today and now I'm regretful because I decided to go with the flow of the moment instead of getting my recording device...it was huge. Now I'm very regretful. But on the other hand I think if I had actually got up to get that recording device it probably would have interrupted the flow even more :P
I'm slowly waking up and getting aware of what happened and I feel so frustrated...:(

But okay, deep inside I know I can even do something better than that one today....someday...and maybe I can even conjure this incredible unspeakable thing to appear again, even much more intense, and even closer....!!!

oh well :(

That is really frustrating! If it was a good idea it will be back.

I only play on digital pianos and recording is built in so I only need to push a button. All I need now is a flash of inspiration!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #62 on: October 29, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »
Don't be sad Wolfi! It's still there, it's just hiding a little.  :)  :P

Yes that's maybe what it does...

*Watch therefore, for ye know not the day nor the hour.*.....

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #63 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:44 PM »
Speaking of the hour, don't forget to reset your clocks tonight. (Just not in the US, yet.)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #64 on: October 29, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »
That is really frustrating! If it was a good idea it will be back.

I only play on digital pianos and recording is built in so I only need to push a button. All I need now is a flash of inspiration!

I can't do that on digitals, I need the full resonance of the acoustic piano. I did some on digitals but it's never the same. They are very good for practicing but not for making real music :(

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #65 on: October 29, 2011, 06:21:38 PM »

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #66 on: October 29, 2011, 06:34:55 PM »
That is a bummer, Wolfi, but keep in mind it's mainly only a bummer because we live in an age where we more or less expect that we *can* get all of that on recording and listen back and learn from that in that way.  Sometimes that tricks us, I think, into thinking that if we *didn't* capture it in the moment, that we are missing out on something.  It didn't use to be that way, of course, and all that your inspiration was built upon in still there!  Don't just try to remember the precise form of expression, but what it was built upon - where it came from.  I bet you can try to dissect the process a bit and maybe get a link to the domino effect that led to the expression as you felt it.  Well, just a thought :).  But, I'll look forward to hearing when it's time :).

You are so wonderful at understanding :)  :)

Now when I look back to it it seems more and more like it was actually a sort of clear decision...I was just there at the piano, playing, and feeling that it went off to new dimensions and I just needed to stay there, and keep playing and I couldn't miss one single part of a second...

I remember the steps that led there...I will go that path again ...:)

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #67 on: October 30, 2011, 06:17:12 AM »
Didn't you say you were 15? That exam sounds more like something for University or something to me, kinda scary  :o  :P

I had a math test today!

Whoops, I said the wrong thing. I had a commerce exam. Anyway, it encompassed law and economy and other stuff. everyone should take that subject.

I'm going to have a Maths test on Friday. I'll bet it will be easy anyway.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #68 on: November 02, 2011, 01:52:22 PM »
Exams. they are 1.5 hours each and laste till friday.

friday, friday, gotta get down on Friday........

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #69 on: December 20, 2011, 11:24:05 PM »
I played football. I made two touchdowns, slid in the mud and hit my backside twice and crashed into a fence three times. fun  8)

Offline pianobilliam

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #70 on: December 21, 2011, 01:22:14 AM »
Today I went to school, and my fellow Pianist told me about the Piano Street Forum! I joined and i am very satisfied with my experience here. It is a nice group of people who seem to love the instrument as much as I do.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #71 on: December 21, 2011, 06:54:13 PM »
I had a piano recital!  :-X  ::) Yes I made about a billion mistakes! Really sorry Mr Bach and Mr Pleyel that I ruined your pieces but now I'm just too tired to even feel bad about it! Maybe a little later...  :-\
I don't really know why I was making so many mistakes, cause my hands weren't even shaking all that much... I guess I was just tired and besides I haven't been even practicing all that much for the last two or three days cause I had to practice math a lot cause I had a test yesterday... that will probably be just the same as my recital a lot of stupid mistakes!  ::) Oh well who cares, that's what happens when you have to many things at the same time!  ::) I don't even care I just care about having holidays!!!

Offline georgedepp

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #72 on: December 26, 2011, 06:28:54 PM »
Today was very hectic for me. I started to play my piano but suddenly I got a important call from my friend and I leave piano there. I went for picnic and shopping. Its all about my today activity.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #73 on: December 27, 2011, 07:44:36 PM »
Today I went to my music school because my teacher had some sheet music for me... well she asked me if I would wait till the end of holidays or I wanted to start learning the pieces during the holidays already, and of course I said I wanted to start learning during the holidays (well I thought I would have more time than I do! and I also thought my dad would drive me there! because it's far and I need like 45 minutes in each direction and I need to go on two buses, but my dad couldn't drive me cause he wasn't home today! so I went on two buses took the sheet music in like 1 minute and went back with two buses again, but ok  :P )... So the new pieces that my teacher gave me are: the first one is an easy arrangement of Fifth Nocturne (I. Leybach) my teacher said that it wouldn't be so good for the exam so I'l be playing it now... and the other one or the  other ones that she gave me are 12 Little Preludes from Bach! I looked on the internet and somewhere it says it's level 7? late intermediate?! I don't know  :-\ looks a little scary, but my teacher says she thinks I can start with that... well we'll see I guess...  :P

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #74 on: January 10, 2012, 05:59:57 AM »
Today I got a really short haircut. A little too short of one......  :P

I think I'm going to where a hat to school tomorrow to cover it up.  :-\

Offline jesc

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #75 on: January 10, 2012, 09:56:16 AM »
Today I gave my students the results of their long exam.

Needless to say, I'm depressed and so are they.

Offline commissiona

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #76 on: January 10, 2012, 10:12:03 AM »
-
Haydn: Sonata in C No. 35
Scarlatti: K. 1, 380, 443
Blasco de Nebra: Sonata V
Handel: Fantasia in C G.60
Couperin: La Reville Matin
Rameau: La Dauphine
Pachelbel, Trabaci, Frescobaldi: Various

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #77 on: January 26, 2012, 04:31:25 AM »
Today I worked on a puppet show with some of my friends for Social Studies class. I made a Benjamin Franklin puppet!  ;D

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #78 on: January 30, 2012, 07:23:54 PM »

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #79 on: January 30, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #80 on: January 30, 2012, 08:50:17 PM »
last minute changes to an accompanying/collaborative assignment, need to quickly learn several pieces in next couple of hoursor it will be a disaster for first class.  i was in class all day too so i don't even know when i'll get around to my own music, let alone have the energy to focus on it productively when it all settles.

this is about how i feel right now

like ms mayla, *goes back to practicing...

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #81 on: January 30, 2012, 08:55:47 PM »
I've gotten to page 3 out of 4 in my music. it has it's own four pages ahhh..I have to practice them all. :o
But Jesus looked at them and said "With man this is impossible, but with God ALL things are possible!"<br /><br />~Jesus Matthew 19:26

Offline tombowler

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #82 on: January 30, 2012, 09:45:29 PM »
...and I had a lightbulb moment whilst I was practicing earlier. Will miss it tomorrow I have to go out driving :( and I won't even be able to listen to Radio 3 (BBC classical music station in the UK) because my wife who hates classical music will be with me)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #83 on: January 31, 2012, 07:56:29 AM »
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #84 on: January 31, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #85 on: January 31, 2012, 05:59:42 PM »
Nice pic Mayla.;D
But Jesus looked at them and said "With man this is impossible, but with God ALL things are possible!"<br /><br />~Jesus Matthew 19:26

Offline tombowler

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #86 on: January 31, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
Cats and pianos make such a lovely combination. I have a pic of my friend's albino cat on her upright right above my piano.

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #87 on: January 31, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #88 on: February 23, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
After my piano lesson I was about to get in the car. I opened the door and was clearing some stuff from my seat when mum accelerated and so ran over my toes. Took like 30 seconds to get them unsquished from the tyre. Luckily I wasn't hurt.
Also I was very close to losing my piano teacher because of scheduling issues.

JL

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #89 on: June 04, 2012, 10:47:30 PM »

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #90 on: June 06, 2012, 04:14:49 PM »
Wow, what a story! I can't top that.

I was once in a similar situation but I could see other drivers ahead of me pulling over with their hazard flashers on and I did the same. (BTW in CA knowing how to turn on your hazard flashers is on the driving test.)

While waiting for the downpour to subside I saw a Volvo on the other side of the center divider aqua planning sideways at top speed. It disappeared into the storm. How they have gotten themselves into such a situation? 

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #91 on: June 06, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #92 on: June 06, 2012, 06:46:16 PM »
Whoaa I got so scared just reading this, and I am so happy that nothing bad happened to you!!

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #93 on: June 06, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #94 on: June 06, 2012, 08:58:48 PM »
I went to work, spoke to about 20 customers with the intelligence of a sponge and then went home.

Now doing some scanning to cheer meself up.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Online ahinton

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #95 on: June 07, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »
I went to work, spoke to about 20 customers with the intelligence of a sponge and then went home.
I'm sure that you spoke to each and every one of them with far more intelligence than that! (and yes, I know what you meant, of course, but that's just one of the niceties of the English language, n'est-ce pas?)...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
«Reply #96 on: June 10, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »
Today I've got to play in a piano recital. I don't feel overly prepared, but at least once it is over, I'll get to choose new music to learn.

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #97 on: June 15, 2012, 09:37:35 PM »

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #98 on: June 15, 2012, 09:56:23 PM »
Sounds like we might have another Roswell incident.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline Mayla

• PS Gold Member
«Reply #99 on: June 15, 2012, 11:33:14 PM »