Piano Forum logo
November 22, 2017, 05:26:26 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Master Class with Leon Fleisher: The Late Schubert Sonatas

Filmed during a Professional Training Workshop in New York, Franz Schubert’s late piano sonatas come to life in this performance guide that includes video clips, written commentary, and an animated score, allowing the user to simultaneously watch Mr. Fleisher teach from the keyboard and study the notated music. Select any combination of 24 separate video clips from six categories to build your own tailor-made video master class from a range of topics. Read more >>

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Cage 4'33  (Read 3426 times)
rachmaninoff_forever
PS Silver Member

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2017, 04:11:27 PM »

For those who don't like Cage's 4'33, how do you feel about periods of silence within a piece of music? I can't think of any specific examples at the moment but I know I've heard music with long periods of silence (up to 30 seconds or so) that seemed to fit perfectly within the overall work.

WITHIN THE OVERALL WORK

And what the heck piece has a silence for 30 seconds?  That's long
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.
rachmaninoff_forever
PS Silver Member

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2017, 04:14:52 PM »

But 'mindless' is exactly the type of music Cage was into making.  Separating the artist from the work of art takes genius.

He says he wants to separate himself from his work but the piece is still called CAGE 4'33 so he's contradicting himself

Nobody ever said 'hmm I wonder who wrote 4'33'  EVERYONE knows who it is

He ain't no genius

Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.
mjames
PS Silver Member

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2017, 04:23:44 PM »

For those who don't like Cage's 4'33, how do you feel about periods of silence within a piece of music? I can't think of any specific examples at the moment but I know I've heard music with long periods of silence (up to 30 seconds or so) that seemed to fit perfectly within the overall work.

The aflat minor chord in op. 61 is brilliant, but what makes it great isn't the chord itself but the context in which it's used in. Just because I like the intro doesn't mean I'd enjoy a 4:33min long piece of nothing but a flat minor chords and call it genius.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Pianism is my religion, Bach is my God, and Chopin's my prophet.
hardy_practice
PS Silver Member

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2017, 04:33:08 PM »

John Cage was not a genius.
That doesn't mean he didn't have the odd stroke of genius.  On youtube somwhere you should find a TV show appearance where a toaster accidentally goes on fire Smiley  

B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM
ronde_des_sylphes
PS Silver Member

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2017, 04:36:34 PM »

I think 4'33 is of importance from a philosophical viewpoint; whether it is a piece of music is almost moot imo. It should be remembered that Cage was into aleatory music, and 4'33 might be the ultimate inversion of more "normal" ways of producing such music. Do look into Ligeti's Poeme Symphonique for 100 metronomes; I've always assumed it was a very funny satire on aleatory music.

hardy_practice
PS Silver Member

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »

He says he wants to separate himself from his work but the piece is still called CAGE 4'33 so he's contradicting himself
Surey a rose would smell as sweet?  I doubt you know anything about is oeuvre.  The amount of illeducation in this tread beggars believe.

edit: that's just too wierd.  I was about to mention Ligeti and the metronomes!  Still, most lkely lost on the kids in this thread.

Of course then there's Varèse and his airpane engine! and don't get me started on the Futurists!

edit 2: Tell a lie, the airplane engine may have been George Antheil - Bad Boy of Music.

B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM
themeandvariation
PS Gold Member

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2017, 05:08:30 PM »

"…and the sound of the freeway evokes a day at the beach…" (by a Cage devotee  who hasn't yet jumped ship).

So, Zen me up, Johnny.

4'33"
Derek
PS Silver Member

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2017, 06:06:07 PM »

Well one thing is for sure, John Cage invented new age piano music in 1948. Why didn't he continue writing this type of stuff instead of flying off the rails like a madman?

https://youtu.be/mOePXzqpD-8
hardy_practice
PS Silver Member

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »

The prepared piano works are especially sweet.

B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: