Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Using origional compositions in competitions  (Read 1326 times)

Offline in_love_with_liszt

• PS Silver Member
Using origional compositions in competitions
on: August 30, 2004, 11:03:24 PM
I've tried contacting/researching various midwest (USA) piano competitions as to regarding policy towards playing origionally composed pieces but with little luck. Does a score have to be published to be valid competition repetoire? I'm guessing you'd have to submit the piece early for them to do a plagarism check and evaluate the score in general, but I'm really not sure and the competitions don't have any guidelines to follow if you are interested in composing your own music.
wOOt! I have a website now! It's spiffy!

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Re: Using origional compositions in competitions
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 06:59:39 PM
In general, no.

Most competitions will not allow any sort of composition. Much of the time, they have specific lists of pieces. The judges in a competition will have a much harder time judging a piece if they don't know it, so competition organizers avoid this situation by only allowing relatively well-known music.

But I'm sure there must be some competitions somewhere which are meant for composition.
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert