Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Piano vs Electronic Keyboard  (Read 2447 times)

Offline jinbrother1

• PS Silver Member
Piano vs Electronic Keyboard
on: August 31, 2004, 06:07:02 AM
My dad recently bought my brother and I a Yahama S90 (electronic keyboard) to replace our aging house piano. I have to say, it sounds more clean and orotund, feels more authentic to my fingers, and offers a lot of electronic goodies! Strangely, I play better on the electronic keyboard as well :D

The plus side of owning an electronic keyboard is that it's a lot cheaper than a regular piano, and importantly, it's portable. Plus, you never have to tune it.

What do you guys think? Do you guys prefer pianos or electronic keyboards?

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano vs Electronic Keyboard
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 07:09:21 AM
Digital pianos have physical limits you cant deal with- I cant play Liszt, Rachmaninoff, or Scriabin on a digital!  You need aftertouch in many cases and sensitive pedaling to play well.  digitals are a lot of fun for kicking around, but the Grand has always been, and will continue to be KING!!

You experience true pianistic power until you play on an acousitic piano- you will feel the strings vibrating through the soundboard to the keybed, and there is nothing better than that.  It's like the difference between driving a Lamborghini and a minivan.

donjuan

Offline shusbands

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 11:52:58 PM
Everyone has to find what works for them. Some like a big acoustic piano, others a small, other like the electronic. It depends on your budget, your space, your preferences and your priorities........

In my experience, a nice acoustic piano can give you so much more over the course of it's life than an electronic keyboard......the acoustic piano becomes part of one's musical personality - and I've never heard anyone say that about a digital!

Simon
www.pianotech.biz

Offline pianodude

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 10:34:21 PM
I played acoustic piano all my life.
However, I am not a professional player by any means but pretty good. At least, I can discern good pianos from bad ones.

If you do not want to spend a lot of monies (in thousand), go to Best Buy and try Casio Privia 100. It feels like a real piano and very inexpensive for the equality that you get.  :D

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 03:05:17 AM
I played acoustic piano all my life.
However, I am not a professional player by any means but pretty good. At least, I can discern good pianos from bad ones.

If you do not want to spend a lot of monies (in thousand), go to Best Buy and try Casio Privia 100. It feels like a real piano and very inexpensive for the equality that you get.  :D

I hope this doesnt sound bad, but I am wondering what kind of acoustics you have playedon to be so impressed with a casio.  Personally, I think they should stick to calculators..

Offline pianodude

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 02:10:34 PM
Before answering your question:

1. Have you ever tried the new Casio Privia 100.
2. I still have my Steinway & Son in California.

You, of course, cannot compare a Casio with a Steinway. However, that Casio is darn good for only $500. Especially if it is compared to many of the low end Yamaha pianos that cost at least 6 times.

My point is that it is better spend less when one just starts learning piano. There is no guarantee that one will like to play for a long time.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 01:23:57 AM
yes, I have played on the Casio Priva PX-100.  
Here it is:

https://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.detail&product=PX%2D100

I hated it- It felt really cheap (because it was) and features were limited.  However, the price is quite low, so there is a good point for it.
I ended up going with Roland FP3.

My point is that it is better spend less when one just starts learning piano. There is no guarantee that one will like to play for a long time.

Yeah, well if you start out by playing on crap, then there is a guarantee that person will not be playing for very long..

Offline Seaside_Lee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 08:57:49 PM
Hi

I have a PX100 as a 2nd piano at work and its okay ...helps me get extra practise in without the Missus knowing  ;)

But, I have a small yearning at the moment to start gigging maybe next year and I sort of wish I'd have waited and got the Yamaha P120 Stage piano instead.
The Casio does not have audio outs...grrr!!

regards

Lee
I am back tickling the ivories after a thirty year hiatus...playing by ear and having fun !

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 04:04:25 AM

The Casio does not have audio outs...grrr!!

regards

Lee

I dont want to say I told You So, but hey, you get what you pay for, right? :D
donjuan
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert