Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Drinking Hot Water  (Read 1763 times)

Offline vincentl

• PS Silver Member
Drinking Hot Water
on: September 30, 2011, 09:48:27 AM
Ok, so I'm not going to say that hot water is better for your health etc. (Like on some websites where they tell you something like that) I'm just wondering if anyone else drinks plain hot water? I just study better when I'm drinking something hot, but I find it hard to sleep at night when I drink coffee in the evening. (Duh) I then tried some tea, but to no avail, sleep was still difficult. I am planning on buying decaf instead but I just don't want to use too much money on something like this, so.. Is hot water something you'll drink if you're in a similar situation that I am in?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -Oscar Wilde

Offline refugepiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Drinking Hot Water
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:44:24 AM
Personally I really dislike hot water, but everyone their taste I guess. Hot water just feels weird for me.

Offline ethure

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 11:58:54 AM
I drink hot water, especially in winter. at times I like to add some flavor into it, like some Korean fruit tea(not real tea but more like jam) -- you mix a spoon of it with the water and it then becomes really tasty.

and a big yes to your question ;D. it's almost gone into a must-be-there thing now, it helps me quite a lot to get into a mood for study at night, maybe just something to sip from time to time to drive away the boresome? XD hehe i don't know. and it may not work for everyone but plain water can keep me awake -- it happens all the time that I became immediately sleepless after a drink of water at bedtime.

as for tea, it'll for sure be difficult to sleep! it contains the 'something' similiar to caffeine that stimulates your nerves, just as coffee does.
courage, patience, faith, perseverance, concentration

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 11:59:48 AM
I hear that you need to drink something hot while eating.

Chinese people to that.
  • Mozart-Sonata KV310 - A minor

Offline vincentl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 01:22:41 PM
I drink hot water, especially in winter. at times I like to add some flavor into it, like some Korean fruit tea(not real tea but more like jam) -- you mix a spoon of it with the water and it then becomes really tasty.

I have got to learn more about that.  :)

Although hot water seems fine, I just really think it will feel weird, probably because I got used to flavored hot beverages.

I hear that you need to drink something hot while eating.

Chinese people to that.

Yeah, I heard about that too, something about cold water will upset your stomach when you drink it while eating a hot meal. Although, I read somewhere that that's not true. Oh, and I'm half Chinese.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -Oscar Wilde

Offline ethure

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:17:02 PM

Yeah, I heard about that too, something about cold water will upset your stomach when you drink it while eating a hot meal. Although, I read somewhere that that's not true. Oh, and I'm half Chinese.

that's actually true :)   it's not when you have an ice milk tea and a hot hamburg, but morely when you're eating hot soup or noodles. if you eat and drink carlessly and urgently, it's easy to make your stomach stimulated(hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold) and therefore 'upset'. just different physical quality I guess. :P

Offline vincentl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:15:28 PM
Oops, my mistake, I was thinking about that other rumor wherein the cold water solidifies the fats and hot water aids in digestion or something. Not really sure though, feeling too lazy to look it up.  8)

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 06:47:21 PM
Hi, vincentl.

Herbal tea does not contain caffeine. You could try chamomile tea, which is supposed to be calming.

Some people drink warm milk before bed, but to me that sounds kinda gross.  :-\

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 08:07:41 PM
How could warm milk be gross!?  :o I drink warm baby milk during the weekend and it's sooo good! (but when I wake up not before I go to bed.)  :P

And I drink warm water sometimes. Specially if I'm hungry when it's already late and I don't eat late in the evening or at night... and it really helps if you drink warm water it feels like your stomach is full, at least to me... or sometimes I feel like drinking warm water when I'm sick.  :)

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 08:45:34 PM

I hear that chinese drink hot water to melt the fat on the food

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 09:03:30 PM
There's nothing like a glass of good white wine for dinner :)

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 09:55:37 PM
There's nothing like a glass of good white wine for dinner :)

Red is better for you ;)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 10:12:27 PM
Red is better for you ;)

Nope ;) at least not now.

Offline vincentl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 02:47:27 AM
Herbal tea sounds nice, sounds more expensive than decaffeinated coffee though. :P

Drinking warm milk kinda makes me want to go sleep. Better than not being able to fall asleep I guess; wine has the same effect.

Oh and by the way, I live in a country that's usually warm. I think that's relevant in whether we can drink hot or not with ease.

Heard about that too, but I don't think that works. :P

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 01:12:38 AM
Although water, hot or cold, might be the perfect drink, it holds little appeal for me, and at my age I don't think I shall change. I drink copious quantities of tea and fruit juice though and enjoy a few coffees each day. A few years ago, when I was working, the office went through an obsessive phase of everybody sucking on bottles of water every five minutes because it was supposed to be good for you. The main thing it did was increase the traffic to and from the lavatory all day. The ones who did it showed no amazing health benefits that I could discern, aside from exercising their bladders.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 01:00:30 PM

Heard about that too, but I don't think that works. :P

They're Chinese...it works

Offline ethure

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 05:52:31 PM
They're Chinese...it works

That's not true. That ridiculous thing won't work for anyone.

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 05:43:54 AM
I drink warm baby milk

littletune, this makes me curious, but I'm afraid to ask what warm baby milk is . . .

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 03:48:59 PM
littletune, this makes me curious, but I'm afraid to ask what warm baby milk is . . .

haha ... I couldn't sleep for awhile last night and read this in a sleepy state on my phone, while bundled in bed!  mmmm ... warm baby milk  :D :P  Littletune, Littletune ...
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 05:40:40 PM

Well it's powdered milk for babies... and then you put it in warm water and you get a VEERYYY good milk!!! It's really good you should try it!!  :P And if you drink it from a baby bottle it's even better!  :P  :D

haha ... I couldn't sleep for awhile last night and read this in a sleepy state on my phone, while bundled in bed!  mmmm ... warm baby milk  :D :P  Littletune, Littletune ...

:P  :P  8)

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 11:13:24 AM
I hate hot water. I drink cold water every time, even in winter.
Funny? How? How am I funny?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert