Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: "Down Under" is on top in piano innovation  (Read 3191 times)

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
"Down Under" is on top in piano innovation
on: January 14, 2003, 05:16:32 AM
Since the end of the the 19th century the fundamental design and structure of the acoustic piano has not changed and this notion was a challenge to the Australian piano maker Wayne Stuart who believes that if the piano is to survive it must evolve.

After years of working  with well-known, conventional piano makers he has created the Stuart and Sons piano which challenges some of the traditional precepts of piano building.  His beautifully hand crafted instruments which feature Australian timbers have 4 pedals and more notes than the usual piano.  There is also a different system of bridges and hitch pins to enhance vertical vibration of the strings and  the sustain of the note.  

I have not heard or played this intriguing piano, but in this part of the world it has received accolades.
If you are interested, you can find out more about it at:
www.stuartandsons.com

Has anyone played one? The company started making pianos in three different  models in the mid 1990s and I imagine that there are not many around.

Offline SteveK

• PS Silver Member
Re: "Down Under" is on top in piano innovation
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 07:59:29 PM
Hi Robert!
I would love to try one of those pianos! I have never heard of them! It's great to see a new company making acoustic pianos! Hopefully one day I'll get to try one! :)
"And you probably thought I'd play badly?" - Sergei Rachmaninoff.

Offline rich_galassini

• PS Silver Member
Re: "Down Under" is on top in piano innovation
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 03:48:32 PM
SteveK.,

The Stuart & Sons is a great piano. I only know of them by reputation, but everything I have heard is wonderful. The problem is that he makes very few pianos and up until recently only made them to order.

Is this still true tosca?
Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, Pa.
215 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert