Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Motivation  (Read 1225 times)

Offline punkpianist360

• PS Silver Member
Motivation
on: October 03, 2011, 09:29:13 PM
Hello all,

Back in August, I released my first CD, and practically spent every minute of summer working on it.  If I wasn't at my job, I was practicing, recording, working out finances, arranging for the debut concert, etc, etc, etc.   And now, 2 months later, I am still worn out and have yet to get inspired again.  Do you have any ideas on how to break the post-production lethargy, because I REALLY need to start again. ,

On top of that, I'm working as a freelance pianist/teacher, accompanist, etc.

Thanks much,
Paul
Inspire, be Inspired, and Aspire.

https://www.musicbymyles.com

Offline megadodd

• PS Silver Member
Re: Motivation
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:10:34 PM
Hello fellow.

There are some things I personally would consider, even though some might be a longshot, but hey, who knows?

First, enviorment - When you enter the piano room or are just about to go to it, is it a dull place?
Maybe it could work changing the apparence of your work enviorment.

Secondly, goals- I know this works for me, it could be as simple as, by the end of next month I will have begun this or that or finished this or that, which I always wanted to do but was to scared of.

I get motivated almost everytime I see my handwritten poster-ish paper taped on the wall saying "WHATEVER IT TAKES". This is for my pianoplaying, I'm a student..but sometimes I need motivation aswell. And sometimes I just want to punch the *** thing but I know that this is what I think when I'm in a good mood, so it shouldn't change when I'm in a bad mood, and I go practice.

Perhaps you could also treat yourself when you practice, to make it feel just a little more rewarding, if you love candy, coffee, sinamons, cake whatever, sit a cup of coffee and a piece of cake on the piano and just enjoy, don't play to improve but just because it is what you love.
And if you don't feel like playing, perhaps don't play and try again later- find the time in the day when you get most out of it, mine is late at night with no one to disturb me and nothing else to think about.

Perhaps you need some team spirit aswell? Get together with friends or take your work partners out for some lunch or bowling etc.

But what I find most important of all, is new challanges. If there is nothing that you have to fight for, you easily get bored or something like that.
Create challanges for yourself within work and you will feel stimulated I think.

I hope this was helpful.
Repertoire.
2011/2012

Brahms op 118
Chopin Preludes op 28
Grieg Holberg Suite
Mendelssohn Piano trio D minor op 49
Rachmaninoff Etude Tabelaux op 33 no 3 & 4 op 39 no 2
Scriabin Preludes op 1

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert