Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Beginner's Duet Book  (Read 4302 times)

Offline shine11

• PS Silver Member
Beginner's Duet Book
on: October 13, 2011, 08:51:58 PM
Hello all. I wonder if anyone could recommend a good duet book for pre-grade 1 to grade 1 standard? Preferably with both parts written in ordinary treble/bass rather than double treble etc. I've looked at a few but they're either too difficult or are written for a teacher to play the second part. At the moment I'm using a couple of duets from the Pianotime Carols book but even most of those are too difficult. Was going to order the pianotime duet book but the reviews say that the second part is for a teacher not another student.

Any help much appreciated!

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beginner's Duet Book
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 05:14:56 AM
I have found one that I like called IN RECITAL Duets Volume One from The FJH Pianist's Curriculum by Helen Marlais. It has familiar tunes, such as Ode to Joy and Row Your Boat, but also some originals that are good. All are arranged beautifully - fun to play and listen to. Most of them are easy enough to have two students play the parts, and then there are two with "unequal parts", for which the teacher plays Secondo. I used those ones for the students without a sibling or friend to play with.

I think that this book would fit your criteria. Some of the songs stay within the basic octave around middle C (from G to G). Others cover from low C to high C. The nice thing about the familiar tunes is that the student knows if they are hitting the right notes or not, which keeps them encouraged and interested enough to figure it out. The ones with super-good ears were assigned the original pieces, so they actually had to read. :)

Good luck!

Offline shine11

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 05:58:44 PM
Thanks so much. I hadn't heard of that one and the songs sound pretty good.  Have ordered it so hopefully it will do the trick

Thanks again!

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:05:30 AM
You're welcome. :) I hope you like it!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert