Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: what is your philosophy of teaching music?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline fenz

• PS Silver Member
what is your philosophy of teaching music?
on: October 16, 2011, 11:20:01 AM
i wonder what is your philosophy of teaching music? i have thought about it over and over. for me, the main purpose i'm studying or teaching music is to enrich the soul, make me or other person better, and give positive effect to our life. although i know that perfection in playing music is very important, but seeking for the perfection and ignore the other purposes of learning music is useless. what about you?

thank you  :)
Hope someday I'll be a good pianist ^.^

Offline miriamko

• PS Silver Member
Re: what is your philosophy of teaching music?
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:06:38 PM
I believe that we must teach our students to be as competent as they possibly can, in order to be able to enjoy the many joys of music making. Piano duets ,six hands, two pianos, chamber music with other instruments ,accompanying are all uplifting musical experiences which can be attained only when the student has reached a high level of pianistic abilities and understanding of what he is playing. That is my goal as a piano teacher. I'm not sure that is a philosophy.

Offline fenz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:16:40 PM
thanks miriamko for replying :D. yeah i'm agree with you, but i think it doesn't need someone to reach a high level of pianistic abilities to play simple arrangements of duets or chamber music with other instruments. another question if you don't mind: will you teach someone who want to learn music even he/she cannot read music score? thanks

Offline dcstudio

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 12:40:09 PM
thanks miriamko for replying :D. yeah i'm agree with you, but i think it doesn't need someone to reach a high level of pianistic abilities to play simple arrangements of duets or chamber music with other instruments. another question if you don't mind: will you teach someone who want to learn music even he/she cannot read music score? thanks

ha ha ha yes I am a heretical piano teacher who has taught many students to play without reading the score--or to PLAY BY EAR :)   don't know when reading became so impressive and playing by ear so "ordinary."  Havent met  many classically trained pianists who could "ear fake it" with any degree of fluency--which is why they cling to the score and defend it to the death.  Don't misunderstand me---I can read with the best of 'em--but when their scores run dry--I got plenty left to play.

my philosophy is to teach them to PLAY--and LOVE what they PLAY--if they love what they play then they will always play music.  That is about the best I can hope for.   ;D 

Offline fenz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 04:54:41 PM
ha ha ha yes I am a heretical piano teacher who has taught many students to play without reading the score--or to PLAY BY EAR :)   don't know when reading became so impressive and playing by ear so "ordinary."  Havent met  many classically trained pianists who could "ear fake it" with any degree of fluency--which is why they cling to the score and defend it to the death.  Don't misunderstand me---I can read with the best of 'em--but when their scores run dry--I got plenty left to play.
I have a student who has a good hearing. She can sing beautifully. She can read notation in 1234567 (I don't know what is called in English  ;D), she is willing to learn musical notes but every time I give her music sheet she number it in 1234567 and play it in C major  8). Finally I don't force her to read music sheet again  :)

my philosophy is to teach them to PLAY--and LOVE what they PLAY--if they love what they play then they will always play music.  That is about the best I can hope for.   ;D 
100% agree with that  :D

Offline jaggens

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:46:05 AM
Hi Fenz,

In my philosophy of teaching the emotion, intelligence, motion, concentration, listening, joy all unite into one. And as technique comes from greek word τέχνη that means art, the playing technique is the way how you manage to paint the inner artistic picture of a piece.

By my experience the student learns the best, if she/he discovers all the things by herself/himself. I just give guidance and directions. It seems to me that asking questions makes the students brain work. Also explanations why something works and how it works are important. So the teaching should be strongly interpersonal.

I believe that one hour of concentrated and quality work (practice) can give many times more improvement that many hours of playing without goals and knowledge.

Sorry, the text is already getting long..

Generally -
1) mental vision, inner imagination of the piece.
2) the consciously aware working with concentration and intelligence.
3) performance with self-confidence and strong memorization.

And this is all bound together by musicality and joy.

Best wishes,
Jaak

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:48:06 PM
Keep it real (man).
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline fenz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 06:54:40 AM
Hi Fenz,

In my philosophy of teaching the emotion, intelligence, motion, concentration, listening, joy all unite into one. And as technique comes from greek word τέχνη that means art, the playing technique is the way how you manage to paint the inner artistic picture of a piece.

Thanks Jaak for replying. I'm very grateful for your advice :D. I'm agree with you. How to increase the student's concentration, especially in kids (6-10 years). Thank you  :)

Offline fenz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 06:58:24 AM
One question more: how to teach adults beginner? Especially how to change their mindset while learning music? (Please read my post before about a student who always write 1234567 in her sheet music). Thank you  :)

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 09:01:46 AM
If I ever was to teach a student I would only say this: Listen to what you are playing.
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline fenz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 12:13:30 PM
Thanks all who has replying  :D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert