Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Faith and Music  (Read 2220 times)

Offline thomas_williams

• PS Silver Member
Faith and Music
on: January 15, 2003, 12:12:25 AM
I have noticed some of you on this forum who are church musicians.  I thought this would be an interesting discussion: what is your faith, and how does it relate to your music?
It's GREAT to be a classical musician!

Offline thomas_williams

• PS Silver Member
Re: Faith and Music
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2003, 01:36:44 AM
I am a devoted Christian.  I grew up in a baptist church, although I do not really emphasize this fact.

https://www.parkening.com/cplife1.html
Check out the above link for a clear explanation of the faith from one of today's great classical musicians-- the guitarist Christopher Parkening.

I am not a church musician at the moment but I did play the piano in church for a time as an assistant.

One of my favorite composers is Johann Sebastian Bach, who wrote all his music "for the glory of God."  It is with this spirit in mind that I try to use all my music to glorify my Lord Jesus Christ.

It's GREAT to be a classical musician!

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2003, 06:52:09 PM
While I do not adhere to religious dogma, I believe that the experience of great music is of transcendent spirituality. It would be analogous to the mystical intensity of emotion experienced by many in religious prayers and devotions.
The connection between the Church and the evolution of western music has always been  close and indeed up to the period of the Renaissance, liturgical music was predominant.  However, as instrumental music developed, music became less bound to the Church  and of course our beloved piano evolved from a secular strand.

Online ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2003, 04:22:55 AM

I am completely irreligious so obviously there's no connection. I play and enjoy the music of many composers known to be religious. It is of no particular significance. I guess my brain has its own programmes for what it hears and creates.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2003, 05:00:08 AM
Well, I'm one of the dreaded "PK's"... That's Pastor's Kid's for those of you who haven't grown up in a church... I'm very dedicated to my faith, and it is a daily struggle to grow my relationship with Jesus Christ... I go to a Baptist Church, so that places me in the Christian catagory... I've played piano at my church for three years, since I was 13. Probably the thing I struggle with most is that our music leader doesn't really know anything about music, and so he's always trying to put things together that don't go together... It's really hard.... The music at my church is very upbeat and modern... We have piano (of course!) drums, bass and lead guitar and second keyboard... Plus about six praise team vocalists... It's pretty fun to play around!!!!

As far as classical music goes, I know that God has given me the ability to play piano, and I just try to make every song I play be a personal prayer to Him. It doesn't really matter what the song is, it's all about the attitude...

Anyway... That's how I feel.

Love,

Sarah
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Offline artist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 11:43:01 PM
I also do not adhere to a particualr religious dogma, but have found that it in no way hinders my spirituality nor my appreciation of great music.

Spirituality is a different thing from religion. There is no doubt that the major composers are and were spiritual. For example think of Ludwig van Beethoven and his revolutionary and fist-shaking personality. Technically Beethoven was a lifelong Roman Catholic. But he certainly was not a practicing Catholic!!!

Just thought I'd throw these ideas out there.
m

Offline Le-ackt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 01:20:33 AM
My music is my religion
My life devotes into in a single motive
reaching the Perfection as Art
the sounds shapes my soul as Art

Offline Le-ackt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2003, 01:29:29 AM
Wow , back to the Faith and music issue . it reminds me why Heavy metal are related to Satanism , I guess.
But seems Paganini is the first Musician related to Satanism or Diabolic powers .
Being Spiritual not necssary have to relate to Christianity or any religion groups . Spirituality is Mentality over Reality .
so evervone could have it's own meanings .
well .......... I kinda want to trade my soul in order to obtain virtuosity . Wonder where is Satan now thou . Maybe that Marilyn manson dude could help .  ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert