Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: New To Pianos.....  (Read 1700 times)

Offline migs532

• PS Silver Member
New To Pianos.....
on: September 03, 2004, 07:48:00 PM
I want to buy a piano. Either a Grand or Baby Grand, and I need some buying information. I spoke to several people and the piano that I would like I believe is called a player piano. I never had piano lessons, and don't know how to play on one. I love the look of a ebony grand or baby grand and place it in my family room and I love piano music. I know they sell music cd's with pianos playing, but its not the same to me. I want to have the piano and play automatically whatever music if possible or available.  Is there such a thing? I know Barbara Streisand owns one with a remote control and it plays lovely music. How & where can I purchase one of these? Please help.  Thanks a million!

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Re: New To Pianos.....
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 09:47:57 PM
I am a music student and I play on a keyboard with 5 octaves. Can't afford a 88 keyboard, let alone a crappy piano...

If I were you I would send all your money to some charity, music related if you want.

If you do that I will send you a CD of my favorite piano music.

(I don't get it at all..)

Offline migs532

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 04:20:08 PM
I donate to charity, although its no ones business to where and to whom, DON'T WANT CD(s)!

Offline cziffra777

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 05:07:06 PM
I recall reading about Yamaha having something like what you describe, but I don't remember any details. I think it might have been called Disklavier or something like that.

Offline migs532

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 05:08:38 PM
Thank you for your reply and help cziffra777.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline migs532

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 07:30:44 PM
Thank You very much Bernhard! ;D

Offline Motrax

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 02:05:29 AM
They have a Player-Piano Bosendorfer here at the University of Maryland. I wouldn't know how to procure such an instrument myself, but you could contact the company and they'd probably know where to look.

Keep in mind that a player piano, although a few steps ahead of CDs, is still not a pianist. For the price one of those instruments might cost, you may just be able to hire a personal pianist.  :P
"I always make sure that the lid over the keyboard is open before I start to play." --  Artur Schnabel, after being asked for the secret of piano playing.

Offline migs532

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 02:07:29 AM
Thank you! :P

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 03:59:42 AM
Thank You very much Bernhard! ;D

You are welcome :)
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert