Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Fluid disjunction  (Read 3097 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Fluid disjunction
on: October 20, 2011, 11:41:32 AM
I was seeking to explore semi-random pattern development in the LH with tune in the RH.  

Mics: Studio Projects B1
Interface: Edirol UA-25
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fluid disjunction
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:16:20 AM
There is indeed something peculiarly exciting about rapid, detached left hand finger work. Of course legato groups are much easier but then you change the nature of the internal rhythms. The task is lightened and rhythmic impetus is paradoxically enhanced if microsleeps, basically tiny rests, occur in the stream of finger work. I have always thought it strange that practically all of classical virtuosity places such heavy importance on achieving smooth continuity in such figures. It is certainly the more difficult option physically but it is also far less interesting musically. We are all fed this myth, in orthodox piano playing, that glassy smoothness possesses intrinsic merit simply because of that property.

My own view on pattern is that either extreme of strict periodicity or randomness is equally unexciting. I personally find "almost periodic" figurations of any type, any idiomatic style, very exciting and productive of musical DNA of each succeeding cell in an improvisation. It is more or less what I have been working on for the last five years.

Please continue to post your explorations.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:28:09 AM
quantum! you're back!  ;D There's something in the left hand figurations which remind me (on the surface) of a frenetic part in Jarrett's Vienna concert. Having a slow melody on top of that style is an interesting twist to that kind of feeling.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 06:58:40 AM
the bass sounds like the music you would hear in movies, particularly action and thriller. Music sounds interesting and scary. :D
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline dan_pincus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:34:18 PM
Quantum,

Really.........Really...........nice. I especially liked the parts when your left hand was around midrange of the piano because I could better hear the left hand ideas. Although, I also liked when the left hand was in the "bassier" part of the piano as it created a blur, if you will, of the harmony that the rapid left handed linear line was producing. I really enjoyed the energy that brought the piece towards closure at the end, and then ending on the one final little note in the bass. Cool.... 8)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert