Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Books on exotic harmony  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Books on exotic harmony
on: September 09, 2004, 02:23:54 AM
Does anyone know some? Of course there is Schoenbergs 12 tone system. But what about others. I do have a book that goes into Scriabins harmony but which people actually thought out other alternatives or heavy modifications of the tonal system?

If anyone can help me out, thanks.

Offline cziffra777

• PS Silver Member

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Re: Books on exotic harmony
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 03:28:01 AM
I also found those:

"Serial Composition and Atonality" by George Perle
"The Structure of Atonal Music" by George Cantor
"Structure of Atonal Music" by Allen Forte
"Introduction to Post-Tonal Theory" by Joseph N. Straus

Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they all based on Schoenberg work?

Offline cziffra777

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 03:35:47 AM
I also found those:

"Serial Composition and Atonality" by George Perle
"The Structure of Atonal Music" by George Cantor
"Structure of Atonal Music" by Allen Forte
"Introduction to Post-Tonal Theory" by Joseph N. Straus

Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they all based on Schoenberg work?

I used to have the first and third books on your list, so I can confirm that they are based on Schoenberg's ideas. I'd say the second probably is too, but I don't know about the last.

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 03:43:43 AM
Can you tell me a bit more about them? Don't think that I can buy (and read!) all of them.

And(assuming you read (some of) it) how does Vincent Persichetti's book differ from the serialists 12 tone approach? Is it based on quasi-tonality created by chords that are not derived from the major scale(and its modes)?

Offline cziffra777

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 04:37:21 AM
Can you tell me a bit more about them? Don't think that I can buy (and read!) all of them.

I didn't like either of them. I found them dry and boring. They were also poorly written in places, but I guess if you want to learn about atonal music, you might want to get the Perle book. It was easier to follow than the Forte book.
I eventually decided that while I like some of the music discussed in the book (Webern mostly), I didn't care to learn about how it was constructed. I don't like thinking about music like it's math.  

And(assuming you read (some of) it) how does Vincent Persichetti's book differ from the serialists 12 tone approach? Is it based on quasi-tonality created by chords that are not derived from the major scale(and its modes)?

Many of the concepts in the book would still be considered tonal. I don't recall much, if any, discussion of atonality. He covers chords in fourths, fifths, chords derived from synthetic scales and other common 20th century practices. I'd get this if you are more interested in music of Stravinsky, Bartok, Prokofiev, etc. (i.e. composers who wrote tonal music, but really stretched the concept of tonality).  I found this book more helpful and interesting than the books on atonality.

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 02:47:05 PM
Aah, thanks.

I like reading about music theory. I like to look at music in a scientific way, I wouldn't call it math because I don't like math :) (so giving numbers to tones does not make much artisitic sense in my mind)

Yes, I think quasi-tonal music is more interesting that totally atonal music. Actually Schoenberg covers some of those techniques in his book about tonal harmony, which i have already.

I have read some books by Forte before. I have mixed feelings. Seems like he is very knowledgeble but his urge to impress the reader with his academic skill is bigger than his urge to be a good teachter/writer.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert