Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Tell Me Your Dreams  (Read 9985 times)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Re: TELL ME YOUR DREAMS
Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 09:04:43 PM
Littletune:  I was terrible at geometry when I was in school, too. That's the math with triangles and stuff, right? Are you worried about your test? I wonder if that may be causing all these nightmares. Sometimes when we worry about something, we get nightmares. I don't like being alone, either, whether in real life or in a dream or nightmare. I understand how you feel.

Alistair: That was a very fascinating dream and it paid off in a sonata, too! Cool! I wonder if some of the composers had dreams that they turned into great works, too. I wouldn't be surprised. I enjoyed that very much.

Yes the triangles and all those things...  ::) yes I am worried about my math test...  :-\

Alistair that was a really cool dream! Well I mean I guess it wasn't that cool for you then but it's really cool you remembered all the notes!!!! I mean I sometimes dream about music too... and I feel like I know every note and I feel like my brain is connected to a whole orchestra of instruments and I can control with my mind which instruments are playing and what... I really LOVE that dream!!!!!!!! It's so cool and so real and so loud and I feel like i know every note... but then when I wake up it gets so quiet all of a sudden... it's weird because I can't believe that there's no music playing in real life, and for the first few minutes I can even remember the melody but then I forget it completely.  >:( but it's really cool!  8) I can't wait to have that dream again!!!  :P  :)

This has to be one of the neatest dreams I've ever heard of, LittleTune! This alien with a face like a guy and a body of a woman! And the other worldly currency. Wow. And that strange snake. I think you should write about some of your dreams when you're doing English composition in school. All you have to do is visit this thread and re-read your dreams for ideas on what to write about. Some of your dreams are great for a fictional story or two!! I enjoyed this one very much and had a good laugh. Thank you for sharing.

:) yes that was a pretty cool dream too!  :P I guess I should write some stories about my dreams!  :)  :P

Oh... I just wanted to ask... is that a grownup thing that people don't remember their dreams all that often? Is it like that when people grow up they don't remember their dreams all that much anymore? Or am I just weird and people (kids or grownups) usually don't remember their dreams? Or am I just sleeping too much?  :P (that's what my mum says that her grandmother would always say that if you dream that means you are sleeping too much, but I think that was a joke  :P ).

Oh today I was just dreaming about that we were somewhere outside and the lightning and thunder started and we were running somewhere where there was this strange building, I mean it only had a roof but otherwise it wasn't closed, but it was a cool building! It was really large and there was a lot of people there and there were a lot of fences and stairs and corners and I think it was also possible to go undergound, I don't think I went there but I saw the stairs that were going down.
And then I also had another dream and I remembered it when I woke up but now I forgot...

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 01:36:04 AM
I'm not sure if it's a grown up thing to forget your dreams as you get older but I definitely remember a lot fewer dreams nowadays than when I was younger so it's very interesting that you brought that up. I think perhaps adults have more on their minds, more worries, whatever, so even though they dream, they have a greater tendency to forget their dreams because as soon as they open their eyes, they're back to worrying about whatever or they're rushing to go to work, to feed the babies, etc. So unless they wake up in the middle of the night due to a nightmare, they are unlikely to remember their dreams. I can only remember three dreams in the last two months! I wish I could remember more of my dreams.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 09:50:56 PM
I'm not sure if it's a grown up thing to forget your dreams as you get older but I definitely remember a lot fewer dreams nowadays than when I was younger so it's very interesting that you brought that up. I think perhaps adults have more on their minds, more worries, whatever, so even though they dream, they have a greater tendency to forget their dreams because as soon as they open their eyes, they're back to worrying about whatever or they're rushing to go to work, to feed the babies, etc. So unless they wake up in the middle of the night due to a nightmare, they are unlikely to remember their dreams. I can only remember three dreams in the last two months! I wish I could remember more of my dreams.

Someone should do a research about that! :) Now I hear my mum's voice in my head: maybe you will do that.... because since for ever whenever I say something about that someone should invent something or do something my mum  is always like: well then maybe you'll do that  :P

Oh today I had a lot of dreams again... I don't really have a lot of time now for writing... it was about being in an amusement park and it was about a lot of animals... and like mice and cats and cats and dogs being best friends and about someone having a cat from a cartoon for a pet and also about a dog that was completely the same as that music school doggy... but I couldn't figure out if he was really the same doggy or he just looked completely like him.

I was also dreaming about a little car accident, nothing bad happened only some little things with the car but then some people were talking about some really bad accidents...  :-\

Oh and yesterday i was just dreaming something about waiting for a bus again  ::) and that a woman from where my mum works was talking something bad about my mum to everyone that she was late for work and didn't do everything... and I got really angry cause my mum is always doing too much for work!!!!

well I liked the amusement park and animal dreams! :) it made me feel kinda happy :)

I also remembered the dream that I couldn't remember in my last post but I don't have time now... will write about it tomorrow.  :P

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: January 20, 2012, 01:43:27 AM
Littletune: I enjoyed your amusement park dream very much. Some of your dreams sound like you are ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Have you read that book? It's one of my favorites. Someday you may become a writer and you can use all these dreams as ideas for your book. I like the way your mother tells you that maybe you should do this and that. It's great! How encouraging! I like your mother very much!

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #54 on: January 20, 2012, 09:35:21 PM
Well I was looking on the internet and reading about dreaming and sleeping and all that but I still don't know... because there are a lot of different things written, and somewhere they say something and somewhere else they say something else so I don't really know...

Yes maybe I should write a book!!  :P And yes my mum is really cool!  8) (well sometimes we argue too and then I'm like  ::) but most of the times she is the best!!  :)  8) ).

Today I was dreaming something that I'm not even exactly sure... it seemed like a really long dream like as if it was a whole day (at least) but when I try to describe with words what was happening it doesn't really seem like all that much happened  :P I think me and my friend were climbing through a window into an apartment (and I don't even know whose apartment it was, but I guess it was from somebody my friend knew...) and then at first there was a woman there and was watching tv and falling asleep so we were trying to sneak in really quietly... but then I think she woke up but I don't think she was angry or surprised or anything...
so then me and my friend were in another room and we tried to stay up all night but we were falling asleep all the time  ;D and then I remember that I was like falling asleep and my friend got up quickly and she went to this machine (that was like a freezer I think... or maybe it was for making icecream  :P ) and she was nervous about something and was saying that we forgot to do something... I'm not really sure... and then some ice fell on me and I wasn't sleepy anymore  ;D cause I didn't even know at first what it was... but then I think everything was ok... and then I think we were just walking around some other building but I don't really know...

And the dream that I couldn't remember and then I remembered it was actually about music  :) well first it was about the ocean or something... but it was like we were in our apartment and then the room just started changing into the sea! and we were swimming or well I think we were on a boat, or maybe something like a surfboard for awhile and it was really fun and then after awhile the sea just turned back into a room...
But then I was dreaming that we were listening to some music and we had to do something like how many different parts the music has... we had a paper (i don't know if it was a paper) it was more like a part of a box and had the side that went down like | and the part that was like this _ and then the part that was going up again like this | so it looked like this: |_| but only larger of course and then we had to make lines for how many parts of music went down and how many were like _ the middle part and how many went up.... or something like that........ I have no idea what we were doing but in my dream I got everything right the first time but then I started thinkg about it and thinking that there's no way I could do it right and then the second time I got it wrong... and then I noticed that I lost a part of one of my earpohones... and I went to look for it... oh and we weren't at music school we were somewhere outside and when I went looking for my earphone I was on a bus station again!!!  ::)

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 01:58:39 AM
I was just thinking: Didn't you have a dream previously of you and your friend entering someone's house through their window? It's funny that when the ice fell on your head, it didn't wake you up!!  ;D 

And how do you create those box lines that you made in your music dream? I should try:

__

That line I can make but how about the vertical ones? What button do you press?

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: January 23, 2012, 10:07:47 PM
I was just thinking: Didn't you have a dream previously of you and your friend entering someone's house through their window? It's funny that when the ice fell on your head, it didn't wake you up!!  ;D 

And how do you create those box lines that you made in your music dream? I should try:

__

That line I can make but how about the vertical ones? What button do you press?

You mean if I was dreaming anything else before the dream about climbing into that apartment? I think probably it was something but not anything that I could describe I think...  :-\

Oh there has to be a line like | this somewhere on your keys... I have it under the W key (don't know if it's that way on all keyboards) and then you have to hold AltGr and while you're holding it press that w/| key... but i'm not sure if it works like that on all keyboards...

Today I was dreaming that we were saving a bird.... first I was dreamng we were on a walk with my dog and there was a lot of dogs and cats outside and I was even afraid for my dog and then a cat tried to catch a bird (first I got afraid it was my cat, but my cat wouldn't do that and anyway it was just a cat that was outside alone)... and then the cat almost got the bird I mean it scratched the bird a little and i ran there and picked up the bird (I think it was still a little bird) and we took the bird to the vet and then we had the bird at home and I was taking care of it and everything! :) And it was a really cute bird I was happy to take care of the little bird (even though I was a little worried about it all the time) :)

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: January 24, 2012, 01:46:36 AM
Littletune: I don't see the key you're talking about. I have a tall green line. I'll see if it works here:

IT DIDN'T!!

When you say Gr, do you mean, type G R?

That dream about your cat and the bird was like you in real life. I have saved many little birds from cats in our backyard, especially in the summer when the chicks are just learning to fly. It worries me too to see them so small and helpless. Sometimes I have to take them to a wildlife rehabilitation center. Thanks once again for sharing your dream. I hope to share another one someday. Why don't I dream as much as you do? I like being able to dream.

Offline lostprin36

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: January 24, 2012, 03:44:18 PM
"I think that's not a dream which we see in sleeping but dream is that feelings for which is we can't sleep." :D

What do you think about this!!!
Are you looking for Music or Musician!

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: January 24, 2012, 04:03:15 PM
It took me a while to come to this realization and I feel a bit idiotic for saying this, somehow. My dreams are made of objects and thoughts that I see everyday and objects that I yearn to possess; the dreams are a combination. Really fustrating and makes me furious that dreams do not come true for me! I wish I were superman. Somehow I think I've experienced a premonition before.

"I think that's not a dream which we see in sleeping but dream is that feelings for which is we can't sleep." :D

Hmmm...Imagine if the Inception movie scenario was true and we are in a subconscious thought/dream. Who is dreaming, then? Hmmm....perhaps we are in an eternal dream, never to wake up.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 05:01:55 PM

You MUST be dreaming to say this!!   ;D ;D  ROFL!

PIANOPLAYJL: Perhaps we are right now dreaming and we don't know it, like the characters on LOST. We think we are living but we're just dreaming.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: January 24, 2012, 07:16:21 PM
Littletune: I don't see the key you're talking about. I have a tall green line. I'll see if it works here:

IT DIDN'T!!

When you say Gr, do you mean, type G R?

That dream about your cat and the bird was like you in real life. I have saved many little birds from cats in our backyard, especially in the summer when the chicks are just learning to fly. It worries me too to see them so small and helpless. Sometimes I have to take them to a wildlife rehabilitation center. Thanks once again for sharing your dream. I hope to share another one someday. Why don't I dream as much as you do? I like being able to dream.

Oh no not G R letters. On my keyboad I have a key (beside that long key) that has AltGR written on it. And then I hold it and while I'm holding it I press that W and | key (w and | are on the same key)... but probably not all of the keyboards are the same (specially not from different countries)  :-\ . Maybe I will take a picture of my keyboard so you can compare it to your keyboard...

I noticed that sometimes before some fish die I dream a lot about some birds... like yesterday... and once when I was sleeping over at my fiends house and she had a fish (well she had two but one died a lot before the other one) and I was dreaming really a lot about birds flying really high and everything... and then the next day her fish was dead  :( ... so I started thinking what if maybe the birds from my dreams are like little angels... well I don't know...

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: January 26, 2012, 09:23:18 PM
Oh I haven't had time to take a picture of my keyboard yet!
And I didn't write about my dreams for a few days. Well now I forgot some of the dreams already but one dream was about being in an amusement park again! It was kinda cool like being on a roller coaster but that you could control where it would go and how fast and all that!  8) And it was kinda like flying.  :) And I was also dreaming about being in a school for painting or something like that but it had to do with music... like we were listening to music and then had to paint something about music or something like that...
and today I was dreaming about playing piano... oh and something about forgetting about what I was doing... that I was so sleepy and I should have gone somewhere but I overslept and I slept for like a day and then I couldn't believe that a whole day went by (i think it was something like that)... oh and also something scary like that I was outside and all of a sudden this strange thing flew over my head (like something between a spaceship and an airplane) and then the people from inside were trying to tell me that there's someone dangerous walking around there... and then later me and my mum were out with my dog and we saw that dangerous guy and we were running to escape him...
but then at the end I was dreaming I was playing piano :) well I think I got a new piano or something and then I had two... and there was something strange about that piano.... I think it was really huge or something like that... like a gigantic piano...  ;D  :P but it was cool  8)

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #63 on: February 02, 2012, 04:11:02 PM
Hi Littletune: I just returned from a week in Jamaica and it's fun to get home and read about your dreams. I think you have more dreams than anyone I've ever known. I don't know if I dreamed so much when I was 13. If I did, I've forgotten them so it's nice to read your dreams. It brings back memories for me, memories of days when I was growing up and going to school and dreaming about all kinds of things.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #64 on: February 02, 2012, 07:41:24 PM
Oh that's great! I'm glad you had a great time and also that you're back again!  :)
I wasn't writing about my dreams this week cause I didn't have time, I had so many things at school, but I did great at my geometry math test!  :P  8)
I was dreaming this week too of course but it's a little difficult to remember all of it... I know I was dreaming something about a ghost house! I mean we were in a house where there were a lot of ghosts... but it seemed kind of normal... I mean it was just like they were just people from some other dimensions (or from another time)... and they were there but just in a different way than us. well kinda funny... :P

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #65 on: February 04, 2012, 10:51:52 PM
I had a dream the other day.. well I have this poster in my room and I dreamed that I ripped it off the wall and tore it in half and said "why did I even learn this stuff!"

I woke up and I was like "I'm not ever gonna do that." I did not like the dream at all. I'm gonna practice my piano till I can get really really good at it.I'm never going to rip that poster down and say why did I learn this it's just not me.
But Jesus looked at them and said "With man this is impossible, but with God ALL things are possible!"<br /><br />~Jesus Matthew 19:26

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #66 on: February 07, 2012, 04:48:06 PM
Congratulations, Littletune! I had confidence in you to Ace your test! You have the most dreams of anyone I ever knew. I envy you. I'm actually a bit jealous! The last time I had a dream, I can't even talk about it because it was so horrible but that was also so long ago!  I wish I could tell you my most recent dream but I don't have any!!!  But I enjoy reading all your dreams and Roseamelia's too. Your dream was quite violent!!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #67 on: February 07, 2012, 06:25:11 PM
Are you serious?!  I dream every night, ALL night - or so it seems.  It's so amazing the way the oddest situations seem so normal in a dream.   Last night I dreampt I was in a piano competition and I had to play the chopin sonata op. 35  in an Anna Magnani variation - In fact, she was the first contestant and I watched her as she acted on the stage ...

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #68 on: February 07, 2012, 06:43:44 PM
 ;D ;D ;D ;D You'd be the joy of every shrink...
As fond as I am of you, I hope that Anna Magnani won the contest: great woman, great actress!!!

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #69 on: February 09, 2012, 04:37:37 PM
What an interesting dream, Birba! I'm sure you won the competition!! Do share more of your dreams with us. I wish I could have dreams, even nightmares!   ;D ;D

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tell Me Your Dreams
Reply #70 on: February 13, 2012, 03:07:42 PM
Oh, I had a very interesting dream last night.  I rarely dream about big cats (nor cats at all), but this dream included both a big and a small one (haha ... it's a little funny) and somehow the dream felt significant (not all dreams have that feeling for me, but this one does).  I forget what cats in general, and big cats specifically, are supposed to mean in dreams, but here it goes:

In my dream, I was actually in my own town in a very well-known park, which for me in real life has had great significance to me and for me, very much represents the town in general.  And, in my dream, I was needing to make my home outside (I guess I was house-less) and was trying to set somewhere up to sleep for the night in this park (though, there were more permanent makings around, too).  As I was going to head to sleep -I just now remembered I had a huge, pet tiger, too- and was making my bed outside for the night, I was warned by a couple of friends, one who in real life I am closest with, and one who in real life has never been necessarily a friend, per se, but an acquaintance (whom I've actually not really felt as though she likes me very much), came to remind me that I probably ought not to sleep outside, given the possibility of being assaulted by other ill-intentioned individuals in the night.  So, I packed a small backpack and headed away, leaving everything else behind (I guess I didn't even take my tiger with me!).

At one point, I was in a ... van, I think, which I think used to be my family's van in real life, and I was driving at night down this dirt path, still in this park, and a huge cougar crossed my path from left to right, looking at me as it crossed the road and headed up the side to my right ... and it was stalking a house cat ... haha ... it's not funny that the housecat was going to be dinner, but I think it's intellectually funny.

At some point, I wasn't in the vehicle anymore and was traveling by foot, and now it was daytime and the landscape changed into the landscape of another state, which is actually a very meaningful part of my real life.  Here, I was on foot with this small backpack on my back, and I came to this ... pass ... and the only way "around" was up these spiry, rust-colored stones, with mountains to my left and a river to my right.  So, at first I took off my backpack and scaled these spires -and, this would be a HUGE feat for me in real life, since in real life, in this situation, I would be afraid of heights and probably would have gotten dizzy and froze- in my dream, I didn't actually feel that fear, not mentally nor physically.  I just scaled up these spires and passed through a cougar's nest, presumably the same huge cougar who had crossed my path.  There were actually bird's nests up there, which were supposed to be a cougar's nest ... haha ... and unfortunately one fell!  

Anyway, I reached this certain height where I was "on top" and would next need to climb down on the other side (which was just wilderness, I think, including the river, but it wasn't actually a very clear view ... I mean, for me now, I don't see clearly some expanse or clear view on that side, of what I was climbing into).  So, I reached this tippy top (which was a small, normally scary place) and looked down to where I came from (the immediate place before I climbed) and saw that I had left my backpack down there and realized I needed to climb back down to it and get it, and then I could keep going.  So, instead of climbing over to the other side, which is my ultimate intention, I climbed back down to my backpack, put it on and started stepping and climbing back up again.  At this point, I became aware of feeling vulnerable that the cougar whose nest I was in the middle of, could come back at any moment and might not be too happy.  I remember I got part way up again, this time it was going to be for 'good' (I mean, I was going to climb over and proceed on with my life) and then I woke up!

hmmmm ....
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #71 on: February 13, 2012, 04:02:34 PM
That was a very detailed dream! I felt as if I was reading a very good fictional story! It was so well written. You could use this story in a work of fiction!  Thank you for sharing.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #72 on: February 13, 2012, 08:05:30 PM
Yeah, it was very vivid and I woke up just super clear-minded and pure ready to go!  

Here is one definition of cats in dreams:  

"Cats in dreams represent feminine power. Cats also deal with esoteric knowledge, and spiritual guardianship. White cats represent hightened spiritual awareness. Black cats signify hidden secrets or hidden powers within the dreamer. Wild cats encourage us to exercise our will power more. Tame cats indicate a place of comfort in our lives."

And then, a larger definition from this site, here:

https://www.whats-your-sign.com/cat-animal-symbolism.html

I'm not a mega dream analyzer by any means, but as I said, this one was like it was speaking to me, almost as though it were a conversation.  I'm not going to get all mystical about it, but some definitions I read say it can be bad luck, etc..  That is not the feeling I got, at all, and the more detailed definition that I found, in that link above, says very many other things that I actually resonate with.  Ultimately, I believe there is Intelligence, not just symbolism and dreams/unconscious which leads us the way, but I think I could perhaps learn a lesson or so from some of it, and go forward.

*back to piano*
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #73 on: February 13, 2012, 11:18:55 PM
whoa, whoa, whoa ... I'm reading a little bit more about my dream, which I almost never ever do, but this one was different!  I didn't know if there was any significance to backpacks in dreams, but as it turns out, apparently there is!  Apparently it can seem positive, but it's generally negative, and signifies one's past and basically (I'm reading a long definition that seems pretty interesting and helpful) all of the negative things that happened in the past, including traumatic things and false concepts (even if seemingly true at the time, but perhaps things that have been grown out of).

I didn't read the whole thing yet because ... well, because  :-[  Here's the definition I'm reading (and that very pack is very much like the pack I was carrying ... it wasn't huge, just this rather small thing, actually, much like that one (except I think the pack was green in my dream)):

https://scientificdreaminterpretation.com/blog/?p=2336

I do realize enough that I actually need to really learn from this, because I have been working on many things in relation and can very well see that I need to let go of my past.  AND, I think it's SO interesting that at first, instinctively and unexplainably (without thinking about it), I took it off to climb these spires and to get through the pass.  But then I went back down to get it (and when I looked down and saw it, it's like I was surprised it was there and that I had left it there, like I forgot it, or something) and as soon as I put it on, I immediately felt vulnerable to danger (whereas I hadn't at all, before) and I woke up before I got back up to the top!  hmmmm ....

BACK TO PIANO!  >:(

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #74 on: February 14, 2012, 12:40:08 PM
Well, that dream was by far the most important dream I've ever had, but has pretty huge spiritual significance in my life, too.  I woke up in the 3 o'clock morning, I guess deeply pondering the dream (not even consciously, necessarily).  Here is what I came to realize:  That I *want* to get over that pass/wall, and that I need/want to leave that backpack on the other side, I am not taking it with me.  I have decided I don't need to wait until I dream it happening, and that if there is anything true about symbolism, I can use the symbolism consciously and I have just plainly put myself on the other side of the wall/pass and I have definitely left that pack sitting on the ground behind the wall.  Yesterday, I looked up a few more things about my dream, like what it means to be driving and even the type of vehicle that it is, and what it means to be walking, and I have a pretty good idea on what the dream and the entire place before the wall means, and now I'm just on the other side of it.  

In real life if things crop up, I've decided for now to just use those images and remind myself that I left those in the pack and to visualize it sitting on the other side of the wall, behind me (and to feel myself on this side of the wall with a growing distance between me and that wall).  As this side of the wall/pass in my dream was not defined, I feel that the more I live in real time the realization that I've left those things behind, the more defined this side of the wall will become in real life.  So far, what I've realized (on this other side) is that there is an important distinction between embracing the wisdom of experience and carrying the past on your back.  I am reminding myself that there is nothing in that pack that I want nor is there anything of actual value and use to me (to believe that there is, is in itself a false concept), and that what I need I have, even with having left that pack behind.

:)

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #75 on: February 14, 2012, 04:57:54 PM
m1469, you've done very well researching the objects and their significance to your dream and analyzing your dream and using what you learned to move on forward with your life. I enjoyed reading your analysis and how you plan to use it in your real life.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #76 on: February 14, 2012, 06:53:53 PM
well I had a lot of dreams I guess since I last wrote about them... I know I was dreaming about some underwater worlds and about an amusement park (again!!!) and that amusement park had this really scary and I think dangerous roller coaster and I didn't go on it of course but i was just watching it and thinking how they can even allow something so dangerous and why do people even go on it, because it was like half underwater, like when it came down from really high it went under water and then up and then under water again and like that all the time... and I was thinking what if someone wants to scream (like people usually do on roller coasters) and the water goes into their lungs... i started thinking if maybe they had masks on but i didn't figure it out.
I also had some scary and disturbing dreams about some werid movies and murders.  :o
And I also had a dream about hugging some guy, don't know who or why.  ::)

And today I had a really special dream!! About my doggy (the first doggy we had). And I was dreaming he was with us and that he was like he was the last year before he died (he couldn't walk very well anymore and we had to help him get up and walk) and in my dream he was lying beside me and I helped him get up and then he just started running around and didn't stop... and I was so surprised and happy and I was running after him and tried to take pictures and record him and I thought wow I'm sure he will live to be 20 years old!!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #77 on: February 15, 2012, 08:00:55 PM
m1469, you've done very well researching the objects and their significance to your dream and analyzing your dream and using what you learned to move on forward with your life. I enjoyed reading your analysis and how you plan to use it in your real life.

Thank you, I continue to learn :)

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #78 on: February 18, 2012, 04:51:39 PM
Finally, I have a dream to write about!!  It's been a long while since my last dream and I even welcomed a nightmare, which I had last night.

Much of it is hazy now but I remember I was with my younger brother and we were just kids in this dream. We were playing in a cemetery, which is one of my favorite places to visit in real life. So we were playing among the headstones. Then, we were older and digging a grave for our pet and we were talking about burying him there rather than at another cemetery because it had flooded there the year before. Next thing I know, I was alone in a building. I went into the washroom and before I could do anything, rotting hands were grabbing me from all angles. I tried to scream and finally did (don't know if I actually screamed out loud) and woke up at about 3:30 AM and couldn't go back to sleep.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #79 on: February 22, 2012, 07:11:02 PM
That was scary!!  :o

Well today I was dreaming something funny. First I was going somewhere but then I stopped (i don't know why) but I didn't want to go back. So I was just standing there. And I was thinking that it must look weird that I'm just standing there so I was pretending to wait for someone. and then I saw an older guy standing a little away and looking at me. So I got a little scared but I was still standing there and sometimes I looked towards that guy to see what he was doing. And then after some time he started going towards me and I didn't know if I should just keep standing there or if I should go away. And I'm not even sure what I did but then that guy was talking to me. And we were both going somewhere. And then there was this place where you could sit down and play chess. There was a chessboard on the table and the guy said if I wanted to play chess. And I said I would cause it seemed kinda cool. But then I remembered I had to be home soon so I said ok but I have to go home soon, and he said: when do you have to go home? and I said: well at about 5pm and it was like 4.45 pm already then. But I said well we could at least start and you can explain to me how to play chess cause I don't really know so much about it. So we sat down and started putting the chess pieces where they have to be when you begin, but then I saw that some of the pieces were missing. And I was like who lost the pieces? and I was looking for them everywhere and then I said well maybe we can make them out of paper or something... and then I don't remember anymore.  :P

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #80 on: February 24, 2012, 09:00:38 AM
I wanted to practice on my grand but it was too late in the evening. Somebody had the idea to put my grand (which somehow had suddenly shrunk to a baby grand) outside into the middle of the street. Not the street where I live but a different one. As soon as the piano had been put there, I started to play and Scherbakov came and gave me advice. He was very nice. But I felt uncomfortable and thought I'd disturb the neighbours and I felt watched, so as soon as Scherbakov was gone (he was busy as always), I put the piano somewhere at the side on the walkway, near some bushes, and left  ;D

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #81 on: February 24, 2012, 09:49:43 AM
Has anybody here read "An Experiment with Time" by J.W.Dunne (1927) ? Dunne was a very highly intelligent man, one of the leading aeronautical engineers of his day. His central idea was that in dreaming and certain other states, we are no longer constrained to perceive time as linear, as we know it in everyday life. He thought that in dreams we perceive detail of both our past and our future experience. He was not concerned with the occult, only with the apparent fact that almost anybody, with a bit of initial effort, can find very numerous examples of precognition in their own dreams.

The ideas in the book were enthusiastically embraced by J.B.Priestley, T.S.Eliot and Aldous Huxley, among other notable minds of the twentieth century. I kept a dream diary for several years a couple of decades ago and thereby turned up very many examples of such precognitive detail, several of which still seem quite extraordinary in terms of statistical coincidence of large data masses, which is the usual explanation given for why these  future correlations should occur - and occur they do, believe me, for anybody who develops the discipline of remembering dreams.

It takes a certain time and discipline to get started, but I intend to retry Dunne's experiment over the next few months at least, but with the difference that I shall use my Zoom H2 to record the dreams. Writing out dreams in the middle of the night (you have to record quickly otherwise all but a few images vanish from memory) I find altogether too much effort. Anybody here want to try too ? There is nothing loopy or mystical about it, just a matter of fact experiment. Conclusions and theories you might come to are your own affair, as for Dunne. You would need to carefully read Dunne's book first which, although unfashionable, is probably still in most public libraries.

https://voices.yahoo.com/precognition-infinity-jw-dunnes-theory-structure-856733.html?cat=72
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #82 on: February 24, 2012, 12:44:59 PM
I had a dream that I had a new teacher and he put his sock in my mouth in my very first lesson.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #83 on: February 25, 2012, 09:59:06 PM
Well I can write about some of my dreams while I'm waiting for a video to upload on youtube (it's taking really long, maybe cause of the internet - seems kinda slow today, or maybe cause I don't have it on my computer but on an external hard drive and maybe that's why it's taking longer i don't know)...
so yesterday I was dreaming about... well... it's kinda scary to even write that  :P but... we had a spider for a pet, but not a normal spider noooooo a huuuuge spider, that was the size like my dog and cat  :o  :o oh nooooo noooo nooooo that is just too scary!!!!!! but in my dream it wasn't as scary as when I think about it now! It seemed kinda normal but I was a little worried about that the spider wouldn't do something bad to my animals (specially my guinea pig cause she's the smallest) so i was kinda watching all the time and trying to make my other pets go away from the spider....  :-\
and then after that I was dreaming something about being in some school... or training... to become a pilot or astronaut or something like that  :-\ and it was for kids and it didn't seem weird at all... well it was difficult and a little scary like we had to go on something like some kind of thrill ride at an amusement park and there were two different and one scared me more than the other and I didn't really want to go on that one so I was wishing they would choose the other one for me... but they choose the one that scared me a lot and then I just thought oh well what can you do then I'll go on that one...
and then the third dream was weird like I wasn't really me... but I was a grownup guy!  :P well I don't know if I was exactly him or I was just seeing things through his eyes... so well he was hiding from some scary people that were trying to catch him, i think it was in a store in he was looking at them from somewhere below like so he could see their feet. and then he ran somewhere else like in a basement, but it was still a store, with clothes, and the woman (from the store) saw him but she didn't tell anyone so he could escape, so then I think he was also in a school running down the stairs but then I don't remember that much anymore. I think those people who were trying to catch him were really bad people but they were trying to make it look like he was the bad one, but he wasn't.

And the next night I was dreaming about someone having a big poisonous snake for a pet, and they were saying it wouldn't hurt anyone but then it bit me and i was like: isn't this a very poisonous snake? and they were like well yes it is... and I was like: but it bit me!! and they were like oh well it usually doesn't do that... and then I was kinda waiting for something bad to happen to me. And I was also afraid for other animals around so I was trying to get them away...

Has anybody here read "An Experiment with Time" by J.W.Dunne (1927) ? Dunne was a very highly intelligent man, one of the leading aeronautical engineers of his day. His central idea was that in dreaming and certain other states, we are no longer constrained to perceive time as linear, as we know it in everyday life. He thought that in dreams we perceive detail of both our past and our future experience. He was not concerned with the occult, only with the apparent fact that almost anybody, with a bit of initial effort, can find very numerous examples of precognition in their own dreams.

The ideas in the book were enthusiastically embraced by J.B.Priestley, T.S.Eliot and Aldous Huxley, among other notable minds of the twentieth century. I kept a dream diary for several years a couple of decades ago and thereby turned up very many examples of such precognitive detail, several of which still seem quite extraordinary in terms of statistical coincidence of large data masses, which is the usual explanation given for why these  future correlations should occur - and occur they do, believe me, for anybody who develops the discipline of remembering dreams.

It takes a certain time and discipline to get started, but I intend to retry Dunne's experiment over the next few months at least, but with the difference that I shall use my Zoom H2 to record the dreams. Writing out dreams in the middle of the night (you have to record quickly otherwise all but a few images vanish from memory) I find altogether too much effort. Anybody here want to try too ? There is nothing loopy or mystical about it, just a matter of fact experiment. Conclusions and theories you might come to are your own affair, as for Dunne. You would need to carefully read Dunne's book first which, although unfashionable, is probably still in most public libraries.

https://voices.yahoo.com/precognition-infinity-jw-dunnes-theory-structure-856733.html?cat=72

I haven't read that and I'm not sure if I could get that book but it sounds really cool!!!  8) What are you trying to see? If you dream about some things that really happen later? I think that can happen a lot of times.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #84 on: February 28, 2012, 05:22:13 AM
So many dreams since I posted mine! Thanks, all of you!

LITTLETUNE:  You have some of the scariest and funniest dreams. You're keeping a pretty good dream diary here.  I enjoy reading your dreams very much.

PIANOWOLFI:  That was funny!  Do you have a grand piano in real life?

JL:  Your dream sounds very much like reality to me because of what you told me on my thread the other day!   :( :(  Cheer up!

TED:  I read that article on Dunne. Interesting. I'd like to read "Nothing Dies." Will look for it in our library. I'd like to participate in your experiment but the problem for me is I rarely ever dream!!!  Since I started this thread, I've had maybe 4-5 dreams!!  At least, that I can recall. I don't even remember waking up in the middle of the night and remembering any part of a dream so I don't think I would be a good participant. Littletune, on the other hand, dreams a lot and would be a wonderful participant. However, if I do wake up in the middle of the night with a dream, I will begin recording it on my videocam. If you've begun your experiment, I hope you'll post your dreams here for us to read and enjoy.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #85 on: February 28, 2012, 09:50:46 PM
Candlelight and Littletune:

Remembering dreams is largely an acquired habit, or so I have found. Most people, for one reason or another, establish the habit of not remembering them. It takes a few weeks to reverse this tendency. In his book, Dunne was largely concerned, not with the emotionally and visually spectacular, but with prosaic details, of little intrinsic interest, capable of being noted for future reference.

Speaking for myself, I experience roughly three categories of dream. Some appear to be physically based and have their origin in various bodily functions, particularly digestion, or external stimuli perceived while asleep. Although useful they are not remarkable. On the next level, there are those dreams which couch issues, highlight problems I may not have been aware of consciously, in graphic or symbolic form. These can be very useful but often take a good deal of thought to fully understand. Lastly, there are the big, visionary dreams, which I could never forget if I tried. Some are so surreal and intense that their effects are literally life changing. Oddly, these ones are always positive, beautiful and beneficent in character, never negative.   

Offline tekime

• PS Silver Member
Reply #86 on: February 29, 2012, 03:52:01 AM
@littletune - Your turtle dream had me cracking up. ;D

I remember my dreams almost every night too... sometimes many per night. Always have. At times it drives me mad!! But I think I'm glad about it. ;D They are often pretty tense..

I had a dream someone broke into my home and stabbed me in the chest a bunch of times.. then I took their knife and cut their throat... it was a horrible feeling.. then was begging my daughter to call the police but was choking on my blood and she doesn't know how to use a phone and couldn't understand...

Had another dream I was in a car in the backseat with my friend driving, and his daughter in the backseat with me, and a huge monster was chasing us down a winding road along a cliffside. I was trying to calm her down and take a video of the monster thing with my iPhone and we kept driving faster and faster but the monster kept getting bigger and bigger.. it was like the white dragon from Neverending Story mixed with a pig and maybe a hedgehog, and it was smashing the road behind us. Then my old friend Ben appears floating outside the window and tells me to turn off my phone, so I do and the monster shrinks into a little goat sheep thing. I gave her a plate of brownies and syrup with confection sugar, then we stopped the car and hired a sherpa to play the ocarina for the monster because the melody makes him peaceful and they walked off down the road.

Another dream that my friend wanted me to break into a police station and steal a plant to make poison with. I didn't want to do it, and I was trying to find him to talk him out of it but then when I get to his work, there's a huge 20 foot tall chef standing outside in some courtyard in what seemed like Amsterdam. He tells me my friend was in a gun duel with a patron named Belinda and he was killed. I started crying then woke up.

Dreamed I was on my roof and there was snow everywhere, and there was a big path cleared in the snow leading off the edge of the roof. I was trying to figure out how to remove the sky or possibly paint over it because I thought the path looked nice but the sky was getting in the way.

Most recent one I had.. I was in a thrift store and there were tons of guitars. I played a few of them but couldn't get them to work, and many of them were missing strings... but there was a dusty piano in the corner that I really wanted to play, but I couldn't get to it around all the stuff and it was in really bad shape.

Lol... I won't go on.  ;D ;D

I had a dream that I had a new teacher and he put his sock in my mouth in my very first lesson.
JL

LOL!!

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #87 on: March 01, 2012, 05:37:06 PM
Tekime; Your monster dream sounded very much like the first dream I posted on this thread. I had a gigantic pig chasing me down as I tried to speed away in a tobaggan!  It was so scary!  I liked where you dreamed you were taking videos on your iphone!   ;D  That's so real it's hard to believe it was a dream.  People are always doing that these days!  Also enjoyed the snow on the roof dream and the sky getting in the way. You and Littletune would be wonderful participants in Ted's project.  

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #88 on: March 01, 2012, 05:48:35 PM

PIANOWOLFI:  That was funny!  Do you have a grand piano in real life?

Yeah :) I love it! It's my baby!  :-*

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #89 on: March 04, 2012, 02:43:50 PM
Thanks, Pianowolfi!  I would love to have a grand piano, too, even though I'm not a good pianist.

Last night, I dreamed that I was at the veterinarian with my cat, Bangkok.  He said Bangkok was overweight and he asked what I was feeding him.  "A 6-oz can of Friskies and almost 1/4 cup kibbles," I said.  He advised me to just feed him 3 oz!   :( :(

Offline richard_strauss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #90 on: March 09, 2012, 01:25:26 AM
I'm having a recurrent wet dream involving both Lau and Stevie from the forum, though I don't know if I'm allowed to tell...  :-[ :-[ :-[
Currently learning:

Chopin - 24 etudes op 10 & op 25

Offline slane

• PS Silver Member
Reply #91 on: March 09, 2012, 10:53:37 AM
A few nights ago there was an ad for "john carter" on the telly and my husband said "Oooh, I want to see that. I loved those books when I was a kid".

That night I dreamt martians came to street where my parents live. There were lights flashing, people screaming and tripods stomping up and down (I got war of the worlds mixed in there too) and I said "Darling! They want you! Just go with them and get them away from our daughter!" and he went, the brave man. He went off with martians to fight an epic battle for them. We hid in the neighbours cellar. The neighbours don't actually have a cellar. :)

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #92 on: March 12, 2012, 02:37:46 PM
Slane, I enjoyed your dream very much!  I felt like I was living it with you and your brave husband! 

I had a dream but it was pretty lame compared to Slane's and I don't remember most of it but since I so rarely dream or remember my dreams, I want to post it here anyway.  I dreamed we had 6 cats but I don't remember how we got so many!  In my dream, I was trying to make sure we had enough litter boxes and the five new cats got along well with Bangkok, our real cat.  That's all I remember. 

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #93 on: March 17, 2012, 07:43:37 AM
I can report, after three weeks of using it, that the Zoom H2 or similar makes a superb dream diary and has several advantages over pen and paper. Spoken word is much quicker than writing, description of detail and event can be as elaborate and as personal as needed, and no ordering of thought, as in writing, is required. The device can be kept at the ready in another room and accessible in the dark. No need for lights, speech can be very soft, other people are not disturbed, and I can be back asleep after a couple of minutes. Writing dream data out in the middle of the night takes a long time and can amount to a duty too arduous for a sleepy mind to pursue regularly.

I recorded several nights worth of dream episodes on the Zoom and listening to them just now brought the whole lot back clear as crystal into conscious memory.

The Zoom method works. That's all I wanted to prove for now. I may or may not bother to repeat Dunne's exact experiment, but either way I intend to enjoy the conscious perusal of my dream experiences.

Morbidly introspective ? Probably, but who cares; dreams are as valid and vivid a part of consciousness as waking experience, sometimes more so. Not recalling and thinking about a dream is like leaving unopened a letter addressed to you. That is actually Jung's simile, but I think it doesn't go anywhere near far enough. You can't fly to, and wander among strange cities and landscapes of other times in a letter.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #94 on: March 17, 2012, 07:53:59 AM
While I am sitting here, who has unusual structures, forms of dreaming, for example, to take merely two types, recurring dreams, or the even more puzzling recall of previous dream experience within a later dream. I have both of these, often. I throw the matter open for discussion. Unusual dream forms anyone ?

A common one, it seems, is the "nested" dream, for want of a better term. You dream you have woken, perhaps got out of bed, begun dressing then poof ! You're back in bed but have "really" woken. You get up and start doing things then poof! You've just woken up again........

Anybody else have that one ?

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #95 on: March 17, 2012, 08:53:13 PM
well I'm not sure if that's the same but once i was dreaming some scary dreams, that someone was chasing me and wanted to kill me I guess and wherever I went and even when I thought there's no way he could find me there he appeared again, so it was really scary!!! but then this (smart) part of my brain was like: you're only dreaming you have to wake up! And I was like: oh ok I'll wake up. and i thought I woke up but I didn't really, so it was even more scary because for a few seconds I was like: oh everything is ok now I was only dreaming but then I heard something and he was in our apartment, and I was like Oh noooo it's happening the same in real life too!!!! and then that other part of my brain was like: noooooooooo you're still dreaming!!! you have to REALLY wake up! and I tried a few times and every time I thought this time I really woke up! but I didn't! I just couldn't wake up, and I knew i was dreaming but it was still soooo scary! so than that other part of my brain was screaming: open your eyes, open your eyes, you have to open your eyes, and I tried but it was sooo difficult, like my eyelids were soooo heavy, and then I concentrated on my eyes and made them open, it was sooooo difficult, but then I did it, and I was REALLY happy I REALLY woke up!!!  :)  :P

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #96 on: March 17, 2012, 09:10:53 PM
Last night I had a dream that I was walking out of the super market with a shopping cart filled to the brim with candy. I was all excited, thinking 'Yeah! I'm gonna eat all this candy', but then some random person started trying to steal it from me. It was a pretty weird dream :P

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #97 on: March 18, 2012, 01:29:26 AM
While I am sitting here, who has unusual structures, forms of dreaming, for example, to take merely two types, recurring dreams, or the even more puzzling recall of previous dream experience within a later dream. I have both of these, often. I throw the matter open for discussion. Unusual dream forms anyone ?

A common one, it seems, is the "nested" dream, for want of a better term. You dream you have woken, perhaps got out of bed, begun dressing then poof ! You're back in bed but have "really" woken. You get up and start doing things then poof! You've just woken up again........

Anybody else have that one ?

Ted, I've never had the kind of "nested" dream you mentioned.  It sounds more like sleep walking to me.  Are you sure you weren't sleep walking?  

Your Zoom H2 is a camcorder, I assume.  How do you get it to work in the dark?  

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #98 on: March 18, 2012, 01:32:21 AM
Littletune:  I've had similar "night"mares in the past but strangely, those scary dreams always occured while I was napping in the afternoon and alone at home.  It was a phase.  I can't remember now how long I had those scary day dreams but I think it went on for at least weeks or longer and this happened when I was living in a rented house in Midland, Texas, years ago.  I would fall asleep on the couch and then, feel as if someone was trying to strangle me while I was underwater.  I would struggle and try to scream but couldn't even open my mouth to utter a word or scream and I felt like this person was pushing me underwater and I couldn't breathe.  It was so scary and the same day dream happened every day when I was alone in the house.  I nearly always woke up when I tumbled off the couch!  Then, some time later, I was talking to the owner of the house and she told me her husband had committed suicide in the house!  Isn't that scary?

William:  That was a funny dream! 

Last night, I dreamed about my mother, who died about 13 years ago.  But I don't remember what she said or did.  I now wish I had a video camera with me, like Ted does, or an MP3 recorder.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #99 on: March 18, 2012, 02:09:08 AM
Ted, I've never had the kind of "nested" dream you mentioned.  It sounds more like sleep walking to me.  Are you sure you weren't sleep walking?  

Your Zoom H2 is a camcorder, I assume.  How do you get it to work in the dark?

No, I have never walked about in my sleep. The Zoom H2 is a digital sound recorder. I just speak into it, immediately after waking, describing as much dream detail as I can remember. Of course I bought it for recording my playing, but this is another surprisingly efficient use for it.

In my most startling nested dream, I dreamt I awoke in bed and reached out in the dark for the glass of water I used to keep on my bedside table - an action I performed frequently in the middle of the night. Suddenly, a strong hand grabbed my wrist in a ferociously tight grip. I struggled, upsetting the water and falling out of bed. Then I really did wake up in bed. I can tell you, it took me a full five minutes to reach for the glass of water in the dark.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert