Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Will parents pay for more than 30-minute lessons?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline milana73

• PS Silver Member
Will parents pay for more than 30-minute lessons?
on: January 07, 2012, 03:01:00 AM
Hello, I am so excited to see such an active forum of piano education! I am working on starting a music academy in my local town, and instead of simply offering 30-minute a week lessons I want to offer a full immersion music education experience similar to what I went through as a child growing up in Russia.

In 2 one-hour lessons students (ages 4-14) would learn concepts in theory, genres, instruments, composers, singing, and private lesson.

Do you feel parents would be interested in investing in such a rich music development program for their child? How much? I don't want to compete with a local music store that offers private lessons (I live in a small suburban area of about 100K people including surrounding areas), so it's important to be unique.

Thank you so much for your feedback in advance!

Milana

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Re: Will parents pay for more than 30-minute lessons?
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:36:01 AM
That sounds like a great idea! But there is one thing I'm not sure of. I'm not sure that you can fit all the lessons of theory, genres, instruemnts, composers, singing and private lessons into 2 lessons because I think there is not enough time to fit all those stuff in. You need a few more. Yes, I do feel parents would be interested in investing, because this is nothing I've never heard of before, innovating and I feel it would be a success. Good luck with ur music academy and I'm sure it will be successful.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:11:40 AM
Yes, parents and students are willing to pay for a more rounded music education.  

The kind of education you describe is something closer to a conservatory or private school.  I don't think you would be in direct competition with a music store that just offers private lessons.  What you do need is the right clientele that seeks such education.  

Two hours probably isn't enough for what you propose.  You may wish to setup a schedule of courses students take throughout the week in addition to private lesson time.  If you really want immersion, you could set up a full day private school where music is the focus, in addition to teaching the standard public school curriculum for your locale.  

Search around for schools and music conservatories that have grown to be successful.  Examine their programming for ideas. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline jpahmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:14:33 PM
Hello milana73,

I've starting something similar to what your describing in my city and it does work.  only, it takes a long time to get the kind of students you want.  Parents really do appreciate an in-depth, well rounded musical experience for their kids.  However, those parents that do, I found to be few and far between.  I started two years ago and have 20 students.  It, doesn't seem like a lot, but these students are great and their parents are really into what I do.  My students are exposed to all genre's of music.  Ofcourse, I push music that has been composed in the classical tradition because kids now a days need exposure to it.  But, you gotta do a little of everything to keep the newbies hooked.  O.k., so the hardest part of it all is getting new, quality students.  Here is what I have discovered:

1.  It is extremely difficult to get American parents to commit to more than once a week.  This is because their kids are so immersed in other activities and school takes up a lot of time, especially as they get older.

2.  Almost 100% of my students came to me through referrals. 

3.  No matter what your website/flyer looks like, parents won't really get the difference between what you do and what the local music store does untill they have been with you for a while.

4.  Half of the students you get will not be fully commited so you will have to weed them out somehow.  Don't offer your best to your clients untill both the child and parent had proven themselves.  I do this by offering Saturday "ensemble classes" to those kids that are fully commited.  (I have a little junior orchestra).

5.  Finally, parents  love performances.  This is how they decide whether their kids are learning something.  They want to see their children on stage or wherever performing on their instrument.  Here's the thing, even if your students is developing reading skills, technique, general music knowledge, this won't mean anything to the parent who had no background in music or is musically illiterate.  So you must have preformances.  This is also a way to recruit more students because each family brings lots of people.

I'm, by no means an expert at this, and I've only been at it two years, but I thought I would share with you some of my experiences so far.  Hopefully you will get started on your dreams.  Good Luck

jp

Offline doreen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:44:29 PM
Hi Milana,

I think your idea is a great one. I learned to play with the standard one half hour (and later one hour) lesson here in the US. However, I had so much music in public school. That is where I learned theory, singing, music history etc. I was also highly motivated and practiced all of the time.
Things are different now in most schools and it is especially difficult for pianists as we can not play in the band, or orchestra.
I think it does come down to cost. I can earn $50 per hour with half hour slots. for two hours per week that would be $400 per month per student, for you to be able to earn the same rate.
You could probablt try to teach theory etc in groups and this would work out well.
Your idea sounds great! We really need this type of thing, to keep our beloved art going.
Best of luck,
Doreen
pavanne2
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert