Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Attractive COMPOSERS!  (Read 12742 times)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: Attractive COMPOSERS!
Reply #50 on: January 10, 2012, 09:28:42 PM
Now THAT'S more like it. Also, I shouldn't have said that the thread was killed, but it was actually derailed. I'm sure some of you find Mr. Hinton very attractive, but yeah, the thread got out of hand a bit.
Notwithstanding anything that has gone before, "Mr Hinton" - apart from the obvious fact of his being a composer - really has no place in this particular thread, a fact which I have on the highest and most reliable of authorities.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: January 10, 2012, 10:17:48 PM
Notwithstanding anything that has gpone before, "Mr Hinton" - aparat from the obvious fact of his being a composer - really has no place in this particular thread, a fact which I have on the highest and most reliable of authorities.

Best,

Alistair

A statement which might make a certain Alistair Hinton even more attractive in the eye of a connaisseur of music as well as one of the so called British understatement, I guess :)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: January 10, 2012, 10:26:06 PM
A statement which might make a certain Alistair Hinton even more attractive in the eye of a connaisseur of music as well as one of the so called British understatement, I guess :)
Guess as you may, kind sir, but I rather fear that said statment might be rather more notable for its typos (which I've now duly corrected) than for those characteristics for which you have the grace to credit it...

I don't know too much about "British understatement" in my own context, being one o' them Scottish interloping furriners, but I do approve of your spelling of "connaisseur"! All that matters (if indeed it does at all) is wot I writ, not the shirt, jacket, hair-non-style or overweightedness of the composer 23 years ago...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: January 10, 2012, 10:47:02 PM
a fact which I have on the highest and most reliable of authorities.

You must let us be the judge of this. A man is often his own harshest critic.

So far, you look like you might win the "cute" vote.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 12:44:35 AM
You must let us be the judge of this. A man is often his own harshest critic.

So far, you look like you might win the "cute" vote.
OK (to the first bit) but (a) would that be something of real merit and (b) who's trying to "win" what here in any case? Perhaps a man (or indeed a woman) should indeed be his (or her) "harshest critic", as you say - but what may be of more importance again is what it may be that is up for such criticism...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 07:19:59 AM
As far as Retrouvailles comment goes, I think he (she?)

Do I really seem like a girl? Come on, to quote Super Troopers, "I am all that is man."

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:35 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you!  It's difficult to tell genders with pseudonyms!

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: January 11, 2012, 10:35:08 AM
No, I'm not offended at all (I'm impossible to offend online). I'm actually quite amused! One would think my posting style is quite masculine.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 12:48:46 PM
Actually, it is.  I think it's the name "retrouvailles".  For some reason it sounds feminine to me.  Maybe you sounded like a butch fem to me.  ;D   where do you live?  I bet we're in the same time zone.  Either that or your a night person.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 01:43:17 PM
a butch fem
Mr Carter isn't one of those either.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 03:20:29 PM
Gian Carlo Menotti probably didn't have to hard a time picking up chicks either

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: January 11, 2012, 04:04:26 PM
Gian Carlo Menotti probably didn't have to hard a time picking up chicks either
Really? He was gay, you know...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: January 11, 2012, 04:09:54 PM
Really? He was gay, you know...

Best,

Alistair
wow news to me, thanks for the clarification, although that probably made him all the more popular with the ladies as it often does, alure of the unatttainable i guess. thanks for the correction, i didn't read that anywhere just stuff about music.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #63 on: January 11, 2012, 05:05:34 PM
Mr Carter isn't one of those either.

Best,

Alistair
Are you saying "retrouvailles" is Mr Carter?  Who is that?  You must know each other then!  I knew there had to be a reason why he thought a young picture of you "killed" the thread!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 05:19:32 PM
Indeed, retrouvailles is not Mr Carter. He is about 80 years younger for a start.

Retrouvailles is a piece of plinky piano "music" written by said Mr Carter.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #65 on: January 11, 2012, 05:27:02 PM
Indeed, retrouvailles is not Mr Carter. He is about 80 years younger for a start.

Retrouvailles is a piece of plinky piano "music" written by said Mr Carter.
The first two sentences are indeed correct. The third would also be so as long as the word "plinky" and the " " are removed and the particular Mr Carter concerned were identified for anyone still uncertain who he might be (i.e. "the said" Mr Carter would imply that the name Elliott had already been mentioned); pardon the pedantry of this last caveat - I'd have omitted mention of it were it not necessary to refer to the other two.

Elliott Carter was, some time ago, supposed to be writing a new piece for piano and orchestra for his young friend Daniel Barenboim's 70th birthday this year but I've heard nothing to the effect that he's done it yet; if he's not, he hasn't much time left in which to do so!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #66 on: January 11, 2012, 05:30:00 PM
Elliott Carter was, some time ago, supposed to be writing a new piece for piano and orchestra for his young friend Daniel Barenboim's 70th birthday this year but I've heard nothing to the effect that he's done it yet; if he's not, he hasn't much time left in which to do so!

I look forward to this work and hope Mr Carter has a few more plinks left in him yet.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #67 on: January 11, 2012, 05:44:23 PM
I look forward to this work and hope Mr Carter has a few more plinks left in him yet.
I hope that he has more creative energy left in him and have heard and seen no evidence to suspect otherwise, but I've never known him have "plinks" in him; that sounds quite painful to me and I'm sure that, had this ever happened to him, his doctors and other medical people would have had it all sorted out for him pronto.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #68 on: January 11, 2012, 06:19:32 PM
God, am I ignorant.   :(

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #69 on: January 11, 2012, 06:42:44 PM
That was funny Alistair!  ;D

Oh don't worry Birba! I didn't really get who Mr Carter was either and we're almost related!!!(because of our date of birth  :P )

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #70 on: January 11, 2012, 07:09:28 PM
That was funny Alistair!  ;D

Oh don't worry Birba! I didn't really get who Mr Carter was either and we're almost related!!!(because of our date of birth  :P )
Oh, I know who he is!  I played his third sonata.  I didn't know there was a composition "retrouvailles"!!!

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #71 on: January 11, 2012, 09:07:14 PM
Oh, I know who he is!  I played his third sonata.  I didn't know there was a composition "retrouvailles"!!!

Carter has only one piano sonata. And yes, my nickname is a reference to a rather nice piece by Carter. Don't listen to thal's opinions on Carter. He isn't for musically faint of heart Englishmen.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #72 on: January 11, 2012, 09:19:29 PM
Carter has only one piano sonata. And yes, my nickname is a reference to a rather nice piece by Carter. Don't listen to thal's opinions on Carter. He isn't for musically faint of heart Englishmen.
Carter has only one piano sonata SO FAR! Yes, we know where "retrouvailles" comes from. Thal on Carter? Don't worry about it - but it's nothing to do with his being an Englishman or indeed about any kind of Englishman - until recently, Carter's had rather more appreciation in England and in other parts of Europe than he has had in his own native land.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline richard_strauss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #73 on: January 11, 2012, 10:22:28 PM
Ana Vidovic
Currently learning:

Chopin - 24 etudes op 10 & op 25

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #74 on: January 11, 2012, 10:35:29 PM
Carter's had rather more appreciation in England and in other parts of Europe than he has had in his own native land.

Glad to hear it.

I wonder where all these Carter appreciators are hiding??

Didn't meet any in Tescos.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #75 on: January 11, 2012, 10:47:26 PM
Glad to hear it.

I wonder where all these Carter appreciators are hiding??

Didn't meet any in Tescos.
They do not hide and have no need to - but, that said, if you will look in Tescos for anything worthwhile, then on your own head be it.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #76 on: January 12, 2012, 07:50:10 AM
Well, I guess then what I played was an excellent forgery.  I wonder what the second was like.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #77 on: January 12, 2012, 07:56:15 AM
OMG, I'm so embarassed.  It was roger sessions.   I mean it was several (!) years back, but still...
Sorry.    :P

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #78 on: January 12, 2012, 08:35:32 AM
Oh gawd, not Sessions. He was a major plinker.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #79 on: January 12, 2012, 08:55:33 AM
Oh gawd, not Sessions. He was a major plinker.

Thal

Have you heard his piano sonatas? Ignorance in this case is not bliss. Go do some listening and then call him a plinker.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #80 on: January 12, 2012, 09:57:50 AM
Thal does at least listen to quite a lot of what he writes about, but his persistent use of the terms "plink", "plonk" and their derivatives lets his remarks down all too often, particularly since he has never so much as given us his own definitions of them. They are most certainly not terms that I would ever think of using about Roger Sessions who today remains arguably one of America's greatest underappreciated composers. A fair amount of his work has been recorded, but the series of nine symphonies and the Concerto for Orchestra that followed them (which earned him a Pulitzer prize but which sadly became his last completed work) are all too rarely featured on concert programmes, even in his native America.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #81 on: January 12, 2012, 01:19:52 PM
Thal does at least listen to quite a lot of what he writes about

Indeed I do and in the case of Sessions I have spent a few hours of reasonably intense pain.

I reserve most of my hatred for his piano concerto which surely must rank as one of the worst random tinklings in history.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #82 on: January 12, 2012, 03:12:10 PM
Indeed I do and in the case of Sessions I have spent a few hours of reasonably intense pain.

I reserve most of my hatred for his piano concerto which surely must rank as one of the worst random tinklings in history.
It's not a work that I know at all well, I have to admit but, as I've also said, you do at least listen to these things before making pronouncements. Which of the symphonies have you heard? And have you heard the Concerto for Orchestra?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #83 on: January 12, 2012, 05:17:34 PM
Which of the symphonies have you heard? And have you heard the Concerto for Orchestra?

I have not heard either of these works and it is unlikely that I will. If a work has not got a piano or a banjo in it, the chances are I will not have heard it.

Besides, I am all plonked out with 20th century works at the moment and need a good dose of Wilms to recover.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #84 on: January 12, 2012, 05:29:05 PM
I have not heard either of these works and it is unlikely that I will. If a work has not got a piano or a banjo in it, the chances are I will not have heard it.
Well, there are quite a lot of works that don't include a piano and vastly more that have no part for the banjo, an instrument for which many composers from Byrd to Boulez, from Haydn to Holliger, from Chopin to Chausson and from Stenhammar to Stockhausen never wrote, so there will be much to which you don't listen, including most symphonies in the repertoire; how many such works include a piano (not very many) and how many include a banjo?

Besides, I am all plonked out with 20th century works at the moment
I have no idea what the condition "plonked out" might signify other than possibility of having consumed too much cheap red wine, but then where "20th century works" (presumably of music) would fit into that I have even less idea.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #85 on: January 12, 2012, 11:07:50 PM
WELLLLL, I'm gonna get this thread back on track with some more attractive composers:

Augusta Read Thomas

She isn't too bad looking for a woman in her late 40s. Nice music, too.

Sofia Gubaidulina

She isn't really attractive (because she's really old), but she looks like she could be a really nice grandmother, which means something.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #86 on: January 12, 2012, 11:25:25 PM
The last one is more Alistair's age group, so I guess he might well find her attractive.

Rather like the first one myself. She can play with my banjo any time.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #87 on: January 13, 2012, 08:23:24 AM
The last one is more Alistair's age group, so I guess he might well find her attractive.
As I wrote (albeit in a different context) in the notes for my Étude en forme de Chopin, "guesswork can involve dangerous risks"; I don't find her at all attractive and am not particularly keen on her music.

I don't know Sofia G personally.

Rather like the first one myself. She can play with my banjo any time.
I do know Augusta Read Thomas. Fine composer indeed. She's married to an English composer. I have no evidence that she plays the banjo, however.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #88 on: January 13, 2012, 10:21:27 AM
I do know Augusta Read Thomas. Fine composer indeed. She's married to an English composer.

Yes, and her husband, Bernard Rands, is a fine composer in his own right. I attended the US premiere of his piano preludes recently, and he was in the audience and gave a talk about them. Quite the husband/wife duo they are! It is somewhat distubing that there is an over 30 year age difference between them (Bernard is 77 I think).

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #89 on: January 13, 2012, 02:30:25 PM

Thal

Well it says in wikipedia that she was born in 1931! And that picture of Alistair is from 1988, so if he was the same age as she is he would have to be over 50 in that picture... but he looks I don't know... maybe 30 or something... so he must be at least 20 years younger than she is!  :P

Offline gep

Reply #90 on: January 13, 2012, 02:50:20 PM

Besides, I am all plonked out with 20th century works at the moment and need a good dose of Wilms to recover.

Thal
If you're in for "Concerto's by Germans who became Dutch", have you heard the Röntgen 2 and 4 out on CPO? Quite nice, they are, even when post-1900!

NB: Glad to see you back on the Forum Thal, it wasn't the same without you!

all best,
gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #91 on: January 13, 2012, 02:56:49 PM

Thal

thal what' about the rosza concerto, it's suprisingly easy on the ears though i suppose if you can't stand bartok this will totally rub you the wrong way?
i'll throw him in the mix, he was good looking fellow and deserves a mention on the musical and vanity front too i suppose
Miklós Rózsa

(ii and iii and easy to link to from this one)

in case anyone wants to read along, i love the cadenza! note linked to my scribd account, i turned off download this is a reading/preview score only
https://www.scribd.com/doc/78152200/Rozsa-Concerto-for-Piano-Op-31

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #92 on: January 13, 2012, 03:49:11 PM
Well it says in wikipedia that she was born in 1931! And that picture of Alistair is from 1988, so if he was the same age as she is he would have to be over 50 in that picture... but he looks I don't know... maybe 30 or something... so he must be at least 20 years younger than she is!  :P
Well, I am certainly not of the same generation as she!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #93 on: January 13, 2012, 05:39:31 PM
NB: Glad to see you back on the Forum Thal, it wasn't the same without you!

Slightly worrying ;D
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #94 on: January 13, 2012, 10:12:26 PM
Slightly worrying ;D
To whom? Not to me or to anyone that I know...

Just listened to all that I was able to catch of a wonderful concert on BBC R3 this evening; the outer of the four works presented were Myaskovsky's Symphony No. 10 in F minor and the second of Schönberg's full orchestral arrangements of his Chamber Symphony No. 1. The Myaskovsky is a revelation; the Schönberg is the most brilliant and sensitive full orchestral treatment from the mid-1930s of a much earlier (1906) work for 15 soloists in which he telescopes a four-movement symphony into a 20-minute single movement work; the orchestration leaves even Richard Strauss out in the cold (and, mon Dieu, that takes some doing!) yet, for all its colossal expertise, the composer's original version has the greater tension and is the more convincing for it. The whole concert tonight was given by BBC SO conducted by one of today's most gifted conductors, Oliver Knussen. Try to catch it if you can!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #95 on: January 13, 2012, 10:35:32 PM
OK I will, as long as it finished before the darts come one.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline minor9th

• PS Silver Member
Reply #96 on: January 14, 2012, 04:30:03 AM
Ana Vidovic

I don't think she composes, but she is damn fine looking!

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #97 on: January 14, 2012, 03:41:11 PM
OK I will, as long as it finished before the darts come one.
What darts come one what?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline gep

Reply #98 on: January 14, 2012, 04:24:59 PM
Myaskovsky's Symphony No. 10 in F minor (...) is a revelation;
There is more to Myaskovsky than may meet the ear on first hearing. Of course, he too suffered under the Stalinist horror, but like several other composers managed to keep himself to himself, only throwing the odd bones to the bosses, as did someone like Shostakovich (and very unlike someone like Kabalevsky or Knipper).
If you like the 10th, you might want to try the 13th in b, or the 3rd in a (in case you don't know them already!). Also, his string quartets are quite fine!

all best,
gep
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #99 on: January 14, 2012, 05:37:05 PM
If you like the 10th, you might want to try the 13th in b, or the 3rd in a (in case you don't know them already!). Also, his string quartets are quite fine!

There is no better Myaskovsky symphony than the 6th. It is the only one with a choir and the longest of them all.

But isn't this thread about attractive composers? Myaskovsky wasn't really that attractive.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert