Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: About how much will this piano cost?  (Read 20255 times)

Offline gn622

• PS Silver Member

Offline ionian_tinnear

• PS Silver Member
Re: About how much will this piano cost?
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:47:59 PM
MSRP $7200
Albeniz: Suite Española #1, Op 47,
Bach: French Suite #5 in G,
Chopin: Andante Spianato,
Chopin: Nocturne F#m, Op 15 #2
Chopin: Ballade #1 Gm & #3 Aflat Mj

Offline gn622

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:04:21 PM
MSRP $7200

This isn't really expensive at all, im really surprised.

wait a sec, how much does the average upright piano cost? it seems im completely uneducated in this area  :-X

Offline keys60

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 01:31:42 AM
That's on the lower to mid end of average for a vertical and Essex is on the lower to mid end of average in quality. Ya get what ya pay fer.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:10:15 AM
That's on the lower to mid end of average for a vertical and Essex is on the lower to mid end of average in quality. Ya get what ya pay fer.
and in the case of the essex, less than what you pay fer ;D
really not trying to knock the little instruments, but unless you really get a deal, like close to wholesale, the steinway mark up is just not worth imho, you can get much more (and still pretty) piano if you shop around.

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:15:44 AM
Does anyone know what's the difference between an Essex and a Boston?  They'll both designed by Steinway.  Is a Boston supposed to be a better piano.

Incidentally, I think there is also a "Lang Lang" line by Steinway in China.  But let's not go there...
Beethoven - Sonata in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 12
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu, Nocturn in C sharp minor, Op post
Brahms - Op 118, Nos 2 & 3

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:05:16 PM
Does anyone know what's the difference between an Essex and a Boston?  They'll both designed by Steinway.  Is a Boston supposed to be a better piano.

Incidentally, I think there is also a "Lang Lang" line by Steinway in China.  But let's not go there...
over all (at leat it used to be, let's hope they left what was working alone), i have found the bostons to be substantially better, they're pretty much a high end/expensive kawai, so though i think you can get a fine instrument under them, i am again of the feeling that they don't quite (almost, and in some individual cases, i.e just a certain sweet intrumetn or two) justify the drastic mark up in price over a very nice well made kawai, but at least at this point we're talking about either instrument being pretty good and a worth while investment overall, perhaps one of the advantages of the boston (if you want to call it as such) is that if you really have your heart set on a steinway you have 10 years to apply 100% of the purchase price towards a new upgrade later down the line so if you anticipate saving/increasing your earning and have yoour mind made up to make a steinway yours brand new at least you can go that route.

i would need to compare a well prepped kawai RX vs a boston though i think they would be pretty close.  and truth be told i used to visit a shigeru kawai dealer and i think the quality and piano is unmatched on that end (partly due to the volume the parent company does, they can leverage that revenue so usually you can get a piano at a price point for thousands less than a comparable instrument on high end german or ss side).

stil back to the origianl thought, not speaking price, bostons are very nice instruments and i don't have reservations about them like the essex line.

pdf of my one of my dream instruments below.  one of the interesting things is you hardly ever ever see a used one come up for sale on the market, the owners are fanatic and keep those puppies for life usually! and in the us and uk  markets when you purhcase one, within 1 year kawai will fly the master builder/technician (there are only a few) from japan to your home to do a final voice/regulation and pretty much anything else the paino needs.

Offline keys60

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:39:48 PM
Essex pianos are built by Young Chang. I think certain models by Pearl River to Steinway specs. Please keep in mind, these specs are not of the Steinway line specs but a cheapened design with Steinways name backing them. Its a marketing ploy. Personally, I don't like the Essex. Its feels and plays what it is. Cheap. Decent cabiinet, but so what. I think the Bostons are ok, but don't love them either. I feel they are overpriced but not a bad piano by any means. I'd go for the Kawai RX myself or a Yamaha if I were going Asian. I pretty much like the American brands (older pianos) better or some of the European. You really have to do your homework though, because most of the American names, like Chickering, Weber, Sohmer and a host of others are not Asian built. I'm not knocking all Asian built pianos either. Pearl River, Samick, Young Chang have made huge strides in quality over the past few years. Best to shop around and compare until you develop an eye for quality and decide what is best for yourself.

Offline sshoemaker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 03:45:19 AM
I know this is an older thread, but it came up high on a Google search...  We just bought an Essex EUP-123S - https://www.steinway.com/pianos/essex/upright/eup-123s/ ...  After playing through the Steinway dealer inventory, there were 2 brands which definitely rose above and that was Steinway (obvious) and Essex (maybe not so obvious). 
We really didn't like the Boston upright sound.  It was a little clunky and more like Yamaha/other Asian upright models. 

We played on the Essex models and the tone on the one we ended up with sounds amazing.  There is definitely something to the pianos being "set-up" as there were 2 identical models (other than the woodwork) next to each other and they both sounded differently.  They definitely sold us on sound and the playability (touch) with a price that you couldn't even start dreaming of the Steinway uprights much less the grands - and you still have the same upgrade within the brand line get your purchase price towards the next one warranty deal.  (For those not familiar with this, it seems that within a certain period of time -5 or 10 years- if you decide you would like to upgrade, you can trade in your piano towards an upgraded model of at least twice the price and they credit you back your purchase price)...  definitely a sweet deal. 

I will have to update after we have had it for a while, but for now, it seems that you really can get more for your money - just make sure that your dealer sets it up to sound how you want it...

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 02:54:35 AM
I'm with keys60. If you;re in the USA, I don't see the point in buying a new console when great consoles are going to the dump every day.  You don't get a dealer package, you have to sort out the junk yourself, but is a little knowledge worth paying a dealer $6000 over used quality for a third line import?  You do get your ego stroked at the dealer, and buying used is like any antiqueing, buyer beware, educate yourself before leaving home.
I paid $1000 for my 1941 Steinway 40,  superior tone and very fast. Yes it has two issues- a spliced string and a key that slows in wet weather.  Neither is a $3000 problem. And it is a middle of the line unit, not third string.  
Console brands besides Steinway worth looking for if built before 1985 - Sohmer, Baldwin, Hamilton by Baldwin, Mason & Hamlin, Chickering, Wurlitzer, Everett.  IMHO.  Eliminate pianos for clunks, buzzes, worn down hammers and dampers in the middle, non-working keys.  No bent hammers or rubbing dampers.  Play a chromatic scale all the way to test every key.  Try to repeat one key as fast as possible (with two hands) to find out how fast the action is.  Lots of difference between upper and lower models of the same brand in terms of speed.  Don't worry about tuning- a bargain will be out of tune.  Anything but a Steinway can be had if you can move it quick, for $300 cash.  Usually they need to clean Grandma's hobby out of the house, before the carpet men come, and there is a deadline where it will go on the curb in the rain.  

Offline john90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 08:23:15 PM
With that cash I would go for a used higher end Steinway upright. While agreeing with all of the above, esp the last post about consoles, a lot depends on your transport costs, environment (apartment where silence is golden vs large house), DIY abilities. Assuming you have cheap transport, a good American upright from the 20s can be superb, really sing (loud and tall), and be captivating to play, ideally it has been restrung, maintained, and is now $300 or less on Craigs list or similar, one step from the dump. If you are not DIY and have high transport costs, the other end is a Steinway upright used for $6K or less, a Steinway Vertigrand, or a console as said before. Mid range, perhaps a Yamaha with silent system. But you need to be able to play and try, or super well informed to buy used high end unless it is relatively new (<30 years) and inspected by your tuner...

Offline camkrist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:25:23 AM
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
I'm on Twitter and my essay
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert