Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Post your recent music/piano investment-purchases  (Read 111473 times)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Post your recent music/piano investment-purchases
Reply #100 on: August 01, 2012, 12:57:17 AM
Hahahah dude, my teacher ripped off a page of my WTC today.  And after only a couple minutes after opening the book for the first time.

Probably to save it from murder!  :P

You see, Bach and I just aren't meant to be!

Cometh the hour, cometh the Bach!
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline austinarg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #101 on: August 01, 2012, 02:17:28 AM
Oh, come on, Bach loves everyone.
“Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.” - Thelonious Monk

Offline patrickd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #102 on: August 01, 2012, 04:07:04 AM
Bach is best.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #103 on: August 02, 2012, 03:22:39 AM
Rach is best.

Of course Rachmaninoff is best! ;D

But ANYWAYS, just bought Rach 3 and Rach sonata 2 by Horowitz, a bunch of Carl vine, La Campanella by Yundi Li, and two Scriabin poemes from Valentina Lisitsa! :-* :-* :-*

I know on another thread I said I had Horowitz Rach 3 and sonata 2, but they were recordings from YouTube. 
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #104 on: August 02, 2012, 03:36:33 AM
a bunch of Carl vine

Going for Gold in the worst pun event?  ;D
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #105 on: August 02, 2012, 03:46:17 AM
Going for Gold in the worst pun event?  ;D

Ooooh hahaha I get it!  Carl Vine has like no music compared to everyone else, so to say 'A bunch of Carl Vine' is...  

Whatever dude..

But yeah, I'm listening to his second sonata for the first time and it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #106 on: August 03, 2012, 08:04:35 PM
strongly considering adding this to my december performance line up. i know it's not really a 'Christmas song" (it's a super funny raging debate online actually if you consult dr. google, there's even a facebook page proclaiming how it isn't christmas music), but it is holiday music in the minds and hearts of many folks so it seems like a wonderful time to showcase it as it will probably be playing on radio stations and pumped through shopping malls etc.

had the score for a while but just picked up the mp3 file (usually var places sell the dl for anywhere from .89-1.69 US depending on artist, source/stie, etc) for audio for the tune so i can listen to the transcriber himself play it for my inspiration.  i need to start learning this yesterday....
score:

Rodgers & Hammerstein Transcriptions (Four Transcriptions for Solo Piano). By Oscar Hammerstein and Richard Rodgers. Edited by Stephen Hough. Piano. BH Piano. 32 pages. Josef Weinberger #M570050291. Published by Josef Weinberger (HL.48016406).

Contents: The Carousel Waltz (from Carousel) • My Favorite Things (from The Sound of Music) • Hello, Young Lovers (from The King and I) • The March of the Siamese Children (from The King and I).

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Rodgers-Hammerstein-Transcriptions/4107311

am strongly considering getting the audio to his transcription of the Pabst (is it Paul or Pavel Ive seen it both ways all over)... Concert Paraphrase on Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty as he made some singificant changes to it and i've never heard the audio to it (i've got most the the Hough transcriptions, they're freakin great).

• PS Silver Member
Reply #107 on: August 03, 2012, 08:15:49 PM
Probably gonna have to buy another WTC book.  All the pages are falling out, what a drag...

But while I'm at the store, I'll see if they have any Carl Vine scores. 

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #108 on: August 03, 2012, 08:24:05 PM
Probably gonna have to buy another WTC book.  All the pages are falling out, what a drag...

is it a kalmus score? i swear it's like the things have bad dandruss and the score pages are flakes, those stupid things refuse to stay together for me. i;ve spend more on clear packing tape to repair and tape the entire things than i did originally for the blasted things. refuse to buy another one of those black and white pieces of junk unless it is the ONLY one published and even then id prolly be better off printing the score off myself and binding it independently at a staples or other document shop!

don't bother with those yellow schirmers either. those are junk too but for different reasons.
if you struggle with JS Bach, i suggest one of the Alfred student editions , they tend to have very good conservative editing (and indicate where they have done ) and very good fingerings which is great at first until you get the hand of figuring out Bach fingerings (which i still struggle with. takes me forever and several revisions....)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #109 on: August 03, 2012, 10:35:47 PM
is it a kalmus score?

(which i still struggle with. takes me forever and several revisions....)

Yeah, this is my third Kalmus book.  My other ones are fine, but the pages started falling out of this one the first day I got them what the heck?!

Bach is freaking impossible... >:(

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #110 on: August 07, 2012, 01:39:58 PM

I bought it too. Thanks for the tip 49410enrique!

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #111 on: August 07, 2012, 05:47:20 PM

I bought it too. Thanks for the tip 49410enrique!
good buy! I love that thing. Did u get it from otaku or anime artbook ?

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #112 on: August 07, 2012, 06:18:22 PM
good buy! I love that thing. Did u get it from otaku or anime artbook ?

I ended up going with Otaku. I emailed Anime Artbook asking about a special order. They seemed like a nice place to deal with, but it would have been nearly 100 dollars with shipping, and I really couldn't justify paying twice as much just for good service. I think I'll use them if/when I get the Kingdom Hearts Field & Battle book or any of the Final Fantasy books.

I look forward to it arriving! What, if anything yet, have you played from it? I think I'm going to start with The Door.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #113 on: August 07, 2012, 06:32:57 PM
a bunch of Carl vine

Since you seem to be the resident Vine expert, vat performer vould you recommend I look into for Vine recordings? Also, besides his sonatas, vat might I vant to get?

Yeah, this is my third Kalmus book.  My other ones are fine, but the pages started falling out of this one the first day I got them what the heck?!

Bach is freaking impossible... >:(

I have a copy of Bach's inventions and Sinfonias from Kalmus from my dad from a long time ago, this version...

...and it is an utter mess. I don't use it, since I have my own Henle copy (from before I found this lying around), but wowww, there are no pages attached, pretty much!

Then I also have a second copy of Mozart's sonatas from my dad, also Kalmus

And it is quite old yet still in flawless condition.

I guess Kalmus hates Bach just as much as you do.

or my dad just likes Bach and used it more than the Mozart

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #114 on: August 07, 2012, 07:02:23 PM
I ended up going with Otaku. I emailed Anime Artbook asking about a special order. They seemed like a nice place to deal with, but it would have been nearly 100 dollars with shipping, and I really couldn't justify paying twice as much just for good service. I think I'll use them if/when I get the Kingdom Hearts Field & Battle book or any of the Final Fantasy books.

I look forward to it arriving! What, if anything yet, have you played from it? I think I'm going to start with The Door.
yeah the thing with otaku is that they're big time so for these 'lesser known' ones, the small shops that do not do that much volume get screwed on the wholesale side of it, the distributors and publsihers seems to really only want to help out the sup3er large volume dealers, which otaku is. anime artbook is still very competitive most of the time, and even when they are not matched or less, i have seldom payed more tha 5-10 more to use them, but the loyalty has paid off in that htey ahve gone to great lengths before to get me some very hard to find materials.

these selections are on hold (by circumstance not by choice) until i  can perform a handful of what i'm working on right now, i'm under the gun for 9-11 solo works right now so i need to get it down to at least half that, then make sure the remaining get ahead of schedule before i can even think adding anything else. it's going to be a very busy fall piano term.....(and i don't even plan on doing collaborative stuff which i normaly do a fair amount of!).

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #115 on: August 07, 2012, 10:06:53 PM

Recent plinker purchase.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #116 on: August 07, 2012, 10:31:41 PM

Recent plinker purchase.

Thal
i like more and more of his piano/ensemble works as of late. i got to turn pages for a big chamber concert put through the big orchestra concert series here last spring (my teacher was pianist in the trio for clarinet piano and violin), man that was fun, it was hard to fight the urge to lose myself in the music and not miss some very fast moving music and tricky page turns!

good find on that man!

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #117 on: August 13, 2012, 08:18:34 PM
piano tuition to the school for my applied piano (piano lessons). i know not very glamorous but it's the most important regular purchase i make.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #118 on: August 13, 2012, 08:24:10 PM
piano tuition to the school for my applied piano (piano lessons). i know not very glamorous but it's the most important regular purchase i make.

Definitely a worthwhile investment! I've got a month off of piano lessons since my old piano teacher takes August off, and I don't start college lessens till September...sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing!

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #119 on: August 14, 2012, 03:38:33 PM

The Complete Preludes and Etudes for Pianoforte Solo by Dover $13.56

It was 20% off because SheetMusicPlus is having a 20% off piano method books (which includes etudes!), and I had a $10 SMP gift certificate, so I figured I might as well get something. I already have a Henle of opus 11, but I don't have any of the other sets of preludes and I don't have any of the etudes and Henle doesn't print anything except op. 11 (yet), and it was only $14 and oh, this is how I rationalize buying way more music than I'll ever have time to play :P

Offline mmcquillen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #120 on: August 18, 2012, 11:40:20 AM
Julian Cochran. Five Mazurkas, piano solo (Complete Set)

"Cochran's music also has its roots in the great pianistic tradition of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. He cites Liszt, Balakirev and Prokofiev as major influences. It's no surprise, then, to hear extreme virtuosity in some of these admirably concise and expertly-tailored compositions. Hearteningly, though, this virtuosity is always in the service of the music, rather than an empty display of flashy pyrotechnics. A fine example of this is the longest piece in the collection, Mazurka No. 2, which comes in at just under five minutes. In it, Cochran marries simplicity with virtuosity to stunning effect. " - Levon Parikian.

I purchased all five inspiring mazurkas by this gorgeous composer!

https://www.juliancochran.org

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #121 on: August 18, 2012, 04:18:12 PM

Latest dusty old book.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #122 on: August 18, 2012, 06:06:40 PM

Latest dusty old book.

Thal

Just out of curiosity, where do you find all these? Do you have a used music store in your town, or what?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #123 on: August 18, 2012, 07:03:47 PM
I know a few 2nd hand sheet music dealers that are kind enough to let me know when any works for piano and orchestra are up for sale.

They know if I ain't got it, I will buy it.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #124 on: August 18, 2012, 07:51:15 PM
I just ordered Ginastera's Suite de Danzas Criollas a few minutes ago, because my teacher assigned me them yesterday.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #125 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:57 PM

Large batch of old stuff arrived today, including this.

Postie was not amused.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #126 on: August 20, 2012, 10:27:34 PM

Large batch of old stuff arrived today, including this.

Postie was not amused.

Thal

Do you play these works with an orchestra or ensemble or do you just play them by yourself? What's with all the piano + orchestra works you get?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #127 on: August 21, 2012, 01:14:39 AM
hit my my favorite 2nd hand music/book shop. picked up a simplified /'easy' piano version of this but it has chord symbos over the basic score so it should be fun to 'fill in in the blanks' . this stuff can be super hard to come by, also got a 'danzas' book but no image available of it anywhere and i have yet to photograph, I pretty much automatically buy anything "puerto rico' and piano, this is my third find of such material at this place, and each time it was 'by accident' i.e. 'mis filed' just came across it while browsing other stuff

also got a vintage 'new old stock' copy of this little gem. some really nice (and from the looks of it, kida hard in spots) arrangements. mainly bought it for the concert version of 'oh little town of bethlehem' as I am considering learning it for Christmas.

still in print
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/More-Concert-Transcriptions-of-Favorite-Hymns/1898037
i got a heck of a deal, nice and old (i love old scores, something romantic about playing out of them) and only 2 bucks! shp has a good price considering how many pieces you get.

i didn't have enough money but next time i go (it will probably still be there, as some of that stuff is super dusty and seldom gets looked through) a durand edition (new 'old stock') of a vintage oversized copy of the Poulenc Suite Francaise, excited about getting it next time if it is still there.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #128 on: August 21, 2012, 02:35:13 AM

I envy you people with second-hand music stores. All my town has is a Schmidt music (don't know if that's a thing in other parts of the country, but it's basically the big franchised company that employs people who know nothing about music except a few chords on guitar, maybe...they sell a very limited selection of advanced piano repertoire...mostly just Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven) so I buy everything on SheetMusicPlus. I'd look for used stuff on ebay, but the amount you pay in shipping generally cancels out any good deals you might get.

Speaking of which, I ordered this for Funérailles (I could've ordered it separately for much cheaper, but I figure, I might as well get the whole thing so I have more sightreading material and playing material).

and then I ordered this too (the title has "Virtuosite" in it, so I'll definitely be a virtuoso once I'm done! ;D )

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #129 on: August 21, 2012, 01:27:25 PM
I envy you people with second-hand music stores. ...
don't envy me yet, my shack i like to hit up is about 3-4 hours drive away from me but i head that way often (i.e 1-2+ times per month) so i try to scavenge something everytime i'm near there ;D

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #130 on: August 21, 2012, 04:42:49 PM
Do you play these works with an orchestra or ensemble or do you just play them by yourself? What's with all the piano + orchestra works you get?

I decided some years ago that life is simply not long enough to study everything, so I thought I would concentrate on works for piano and orchestra.

Some I play myself (if I can). Others if I think they are worthy and have not been recorded, are sent to record companies for consideration.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #131 on: August 21, 2012, 06:11:40 PM
I decided some years ago that life is simply not long enough to study everything, so I thought I would concentrate on works for piano and orchestra.

Some I play myself (if I can). Others if I think they are worthy and have not been recorded, are sent to record companies for consideration.

Thal

Ah, makes sense. Just saw your signature, and that makes it make even more sense! Thanks

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #132 on: August 24, 2012, 09:42:10 AM
waiting on a book with all the rach preludes, save me having paper everywhere. and printing rach 2 for 2 piano transcription with all of work's paper :) they wont miss 62 pages, ahem. i wonder if it will staple.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #133 on: August 24, 2012, 03:59:27 PM
waiting on a book with all the rach preludes, save me having paper everywhere.

You mean you're waiting to buy one, or waiting for one to be released? There are several collections of all of Rach's preludes already available, if you're interested.

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #134 on: August 24, 2012, 05:25:08 PM
yeah its schirmer edition i believe. have to order it in at the music shop. saw it there last time they had a special, but i had picked up ravel instead. because im sadistic.. unsurprisingly the ravels are still there.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #135 on: August 24, 2012, 06:03:56 PM
yeah its schirmer edition i believe. have to order it in at the music shop. saw it there last time they had a special, but i had picked up ravel instead. because im sadistic.. unsurprisingly the ravels are still there.

The preludes are full of great music! Definitely pick them up. I usually avoid Schirmer, but I have the Boosey & Hawkes and it seems to be pretty much identical to the Schirmer, and much more expensive.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #136 on: August 25, 2012, 02:00:52 AM
this year i bought 6 grand pianos, including an antique Bosendorfer made in 1870-1880.

oh no, i am not a piano shop :D
dignity, love and joy.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #137 on: August 25, 2012, 02:25:21 AM
this year i bought 6 grand pianos, including an antique Bosendorfer made in 1870-1880.

oh no, i am not a piano shop :D

Uhh...might I ask what for? And don't gimme any of this "playing" nonsense, nobody uses a piano for playing ;D

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #138 on: August 25, 2012, 03:11:37 AM
...nobody uses a piano for playing ;D

i kinda enjoy staring at them :P
dignity, love and joy.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #139 on: August 25, 2012, 03:14:14 AM
But seriously, 6 pianos? How do you have room for them? And do you play them all?

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #140 on: August 25, 2012, 04:37:58 AM
yup, tho i have my favorites ;D
dignity, love and joy.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #141 on: August 25, 2012, 04:48:48 AM
Do you restore them? work on them? Call them cute names?
 I have a 1936 Chickering petite grand with Ivory keys! :D
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #142 on: August 25, 2012, 06:10:04 AM
not yet, some just need tuning and lil touch here n there, others more serious manhandling. but giving names? i should think of it really :)

give my love to your Chickering :D
dignity, love and joy.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #143 on: August 25, 2012, 02:11:28 PM
hahaha manhandling...
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #144 on: August 26, 2012, 01:22:20 AM
figured since i paid/pay a [HEFTY] library fee that the access to the thousands of scores in the music library (some very old rare ones too) I might as well begin 'browsing' it rather than only utilizing when looking for something in particular or researching.

so i checked out a few gems today that i will probably archive for my own use (the library has copiers w scanners but they're  a pian to use so i may just take my time with my cheapy little scanner then convert them to pdf merged files at some later date).

this was quite the find, new release including some previously unpublished works.including the  piano sonata which i had been on the hunt for , for quite some time...

https://www.boosey.com/teaching/news/New-Release-Music-for-Piano-by-Leonard-Bernstein/12208

bought the mp3 album off of amazon so i have matching recordings to these works
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Piano-Music-Leonard-Bernstein/dp/B00000I0T9

Sonatinas Collection 1 Ongaku No Tomo Edition (Japanese Book).
It looked interesting and i love all things japan so i grabed it!
sonatinas by Takagui, Ikenouchi, Otaka, Yamada, Tsukatani, Okumura, Miyoshi, Hara.
Can't wait to add these to my collection. I've never seen this book, Imust have walked past this particular collection so many times and never saw it! (it's been in the library for years it seems, old score, not in the best condition cover wise but pages are clean).

Finally, I can't find this for sale anywhere by itself, it may have originally been a supplement to the volumes of the sonatas but the library had these in the Beethoven Sonatas Score section (thankfully it wasn't in the general collection or i would never have foudn them). Two volumes published by ABRSM  and edited by Barry Cooper of complete commentary and analysis including performance guidelnes and relevant info on the 32 Beethoven Sonatas. This will become a highlight of my archives, this information is so great to have for future reference when studying these sonatas.

I believe the same info might come with these new editions as an isbn search led me here
https://www.abrsm.org/newsArticles/item.html?id=420

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #145 on: August 27, 2012, 05:19:35 AM

Also Rash but no cover pic  >:(  A surprisingly good price, though for a living composer.  :D

Anyone jealous?  ;)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #146 on: August 27, 2012, 05:49:39 AM
this was quite the find, new release including some previously unpublished works.including the  piano sonata which i had been on the hunt for , for quite some time...

It's been on sale on Amazon for ages. Got mine months ago. Time to renew your hunting license?  ;D

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #147 on: August 27, 2012, 12:04:33 PM
It's been on sale on Amazon for ages. Got mine months ago. Time to renew your hunting license?  ;D
ha ha yeah, its funny how some 'common' things can stay 'hidden' unless particularly looked for, even when they are not really rare lol. but the book is 'brand new' so i think it was a recent purchase for the library, and i frankly never went out of my way to look for berstein's solo music , though now that i have the full recordings (minus the newly published in this ed.), i really like what he does. it is certainly a lot more benign than what some of his contemporaries were churning out.

yeah i need to enroll in hunter's ed. course or something  :-\

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #148 on: August 27, 2012, 05:27:42 PM
... (the library has copiers w scanners but they're  a pian to use so i may just take my time with my cheapy little scanner then convert them to pdf merged files at some later date).

If you plan to do a lot of archiving, this may interest you.
https://www.diybookscanner.org

I haven't made one yet, but it seems like an interesting project. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #149 on: August 27, 2012, 06:15:04 PM

Also Rash but no cover pic  >:(  A surprisingly good price, though for a living composer.  :D

Anyone jealous?  ;)

Yes. How much did each of them cost?

Also, do you already have his first sonata?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert