Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Post your recent music/piano investment-purchases  (Read 111732 times)

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Re: Post your recent music/piano investment-purchases
Reply #300 on: December 09, 2012, 11:16:03 PM
ive had the score for some time but had wanted this audio. really like her playing (jenny lin). just single track mp3 for now (but the whole album is freakin awesome. will eventually pick up the rest).

christopher o'riley is one of my favorite modern concert artists and his concert arrangements of radiohead's music is an incredible volume of work (expensive but worth it/cool. i don't have that as i dont' stand a chance of playing that stuff yet, im not even close to being at that level).

Sweeney Todd (Arr. C. O'Riley) - Sweeney Todd Johanna (Arr. C. O'Riley)

play only of full track (you can also surf link to the rest of the entire album put out by her people)
https://soundcloud.com/crossovermedia/06-sweeney-todd-arr-c-oriley

purchase
https://www.amazon.com/Sweeney-Todd-Johanna-arr-ORiley/dp/B009H4MZH6

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #301 on: December 13, 2012, 03:14:09 AM
Stephen Hough:

Piano Album (Etude de Concert (La Russe) • Musical Jewellery Box • Valse enigmatique • Sleeping Beauty Paraphrase.)

Rogers & Hammerstein Transcriptions

Suite R-B and other Enigmas (Suite R-B (Overture, Waltz, Gavotte, Little Lullaby, Toccatina, The Iris Garden) • Suite Osmanthus (Prelude after Mompou, The Musical Chocalate Box, Changes, Elegie enigmatique, Etude Da Capo, Nocturne – Cavatina) • Valse enigmatique No. 2 • Petit Impromptu enigmatique • Threnody • Elegy.)

Three Mozart Transformations after Poulenc

Sonata No 1 (Broken Branches)

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #302 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:15 PM
Roy Agnew - Dance of The Wild Men (Chester)
                - Rhapsody (Augener)
                - Toccata (Chester)

Carl Tausig - Scarlatti - 5 Celebrated Pieces Transcribed for Pianoforte (Ricordi)
               - Weber - Invitation to the Dance (Augener)
               - Schubert - Military March (Lengnick)

*** must stop!!!
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline zezhyrule

• PS Silver Member
Reply #303 on: December 19, 2012, 12:11:07 AM
Ordered the Kapustin 24 Preludes and Fugues from tutti.co.uk

No idea why because I probably cannot even attempt to learn any of them yet but they were 20% off so why not?  ;D

Just a quick question, to anyone else who has the set, I noticed there is a misprint/typo on the picture of volume 2 displayed on the site

It seems to suggest that volume 2 only contains two P&Fs, Nos. 13 and 14 (XIII-XIV). While I am not worried that they accidentally included only two P&Fs instead of 12 (as that would be quite silly), it would be reassuring to know that this typo is not present in the actual copies. Typos annoy me in official printed media  :-[

Edit: changed the image to a better one from another site... which means the typo is probably present on all copies  :'(
Currently learning -

- Bach: P&F in F Minor (WTC 2)
- Chopin: Etude, Op. 25, No. 5
- Beethoven: Sonata, Op. 31, No. 3
- Scriabin: Two Poems, Op. 32
- Debussy: Prelude Bk II No. 3

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #304 on: December 19, 2012, 12:51:29 AM
Just a quick question, to anyone else who has the set, I noticed there is a misprint/typo on the picture of volume 2 displayed on the site

It seems to suggest that volume 2 only contains two P&Fs, Nos. 13 and 14 (XIII-XIV). While I am not worried that they accidentally included only two P&Fs instead of 12 (as that would be quite silly), it would be reassuring to know that this typo is not present in the actual copies. Typos annoy me in official printed media  :-[

I have these, from tutti too. I can confirm it contains more than 2 (unless they are very long indeed).  Never noticed the misprint, which is not to say it's not on the copy.  Will have a look when I get the chance and let you know.

They are really something - I've got a recording of Kapustin playing them - but they are bloody near impossible!

Offline the89thkey

Reply #305 on: December 19, 2012, 02:28:25 AM
I just bought 57 scores from the online Juilliard Store, for a total of almost $600...
They will be delivered in about 5 days.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #306 on: December 19, 2012, 02:55:07 AM
I just bought 57 scores from the online Juilliard Store, for a total of almost $600...
They will be delivered in about 5 days.

How freaking old are you?
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #307 on: December 19, 2012, 10:04:18 PM
While I am not worried that they accidentally included only two P&Fs instead of 12 (as that would be quite silly), it would be reassuring to know that this typo is not present in the actual copies. Typos annoy me in official printed media  :-[

It is with deepest sorrow I regret to advise that the typo is on the actual cover.  >:(

I haven't got around to trying to play these yet, but one can only hope that their quality control is better on the inside of the book.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #308 on: December 20, 2012, 01:18:48 AM
Gretchaninoff, A
Glass Beads Op 123 (Alfred Masterworks)
Historiettes Op 118 (Leduc)
The Gretchaninoff Collection (Schott)

Arensky, A
Preludes Op 63 (Forberg)
Arabesques Suite Op 67 (Forberg)
24 Morceaux Characteristiques Op 36 (Kalmus)
Selected Works (Scherzo, 3 Sketches, Essays in Forgotten Rhythms) (Peters)
Trois Esquises Op 24 (Kalmus)

Bartok, B
Mikrokosmos (6 Vols - Pink) (Boosey & Hawkes)

Bach, J Ch Fr
6 Easy Sonatas

Khachaturian, A
Toccata (Schirmer)
Sabre Dance (Arr Levine) (Schirmer)

Pieczonka,A
Tarantella in Am (Schirmer)

I now officially need a Tardis to store these!

Offline zezhyrule

• PS Silver Member
Reply #309 on: December 20, 2012, 02:15:16 AM
It is with deepest sorrow I regret to advise that the typo is on the actual cover.  >:(

I haven't got around to trying to play these yet, but one can only hope that their quality control is better on the inside of the book.

Well that sucks  :(

Thanks for checking for me. It's such an obvious mistake right there on the cover, it makes me wonder if, as you say, there are any more mistakes in the actual music notation.
Currently learning -

- Bach: P&F in F Minor (WTC 2)
- Chopin: Etude, Op. 25, No. 5
- Beethoven: Sonata, Op. 31, No. 3
- Scriabin: Two Poems, Op. 32
- Debussy: Prelude Bk II No. 3

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #310 on: December 28, 2012, 02:42:18 AM
any word on those tchaikovsky etudes?

Gah! Update:

Sheetmusicplus have cancelled my order because they can't get a date out of the publisher (Hal Leonard).  >:( >:( >:(

I've re-ordered through Stantons. Hopefully they have them in stock and I will actually get them!

I'm gonna start having nightmares about these!

Also picked up a copy of Tausig's transcription of Ride of the Valkyries. Been looking for this for ages and finally found it on the German Amazon (through a re-seller).

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #311 on: December 28, 2012, 02:47:54 PM
Gah! Update:

Sheetmusicplus have cancelled my order because they can't get a date out of the publisher (Hal Leonard).  >:( >:( >:(

I've re-ordered through Stantons. Hopefully they have them in stock and I will actually get them!

I'm gonna start having nightmares about these!

Also picked up a copy of Tausig's transcription of Ride of the Valkyries. Been looking for this for ages and finally found it on the German Amazon (through a re-seller).
i know! the suspense is killing me!!!!

just returning from some travels and musical hunting shinanigans. the getting was good. nice new old stock and vintage gems unearthed!

Mozart arranged by Guy Maier
Allegro from Sonatina in C minor for Piano and Violin, transcribed for two pianos (4 hands)
"This Allegro is taken from Mozart's littel known Sonatina in C minor written in 1768 at the age of 12. Its imitative and answering voices lend themselves readily to the two-piano medium....)-G Maier
Carl Fischer (vintage new old stock) Ed. 1933 , two copies with Primo and Secundo scores in each (4 scores total. I paid 25 cents for each. not bad for a 50 cent investment).

Melody of Love, Paraphrase
Hans Engelmann
(not the commonly played solo version op 600, this is a bigger concert transcription)
1912 Theo. Presser Co

From Hanon to Jazz
Skills, Etudes, and Performance Pieces-A compani9on to traditional Keyboard Instruction (used, originally came w CD but it was missing).
Dr. Bert Konowitz
2003 The FJH Music Company
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/From-Hanon-to-Jazz-with-CD/5212439

Kuhlau
Nine Sonatinas Op 20 and Op 55
Alfred Masterwork Edition (new old stock, paid 25 cents, still tagged 12 USD.)
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/9-Sonatinas-Opp-20-55/3533110

Scriber Radio Music Library Vol 2 (Modern Compositions) and Vol 5 (Light Ballet and Opera). Red Leather Hard Cover Bound. 1946.
super nice condition for old/vintage out of print books. I will bit by bit buy them all eventually and put a whole set together. The whole collection can be found but usually too expensive, I will just pick up nice volumes as I go along. Two down. 6 or 7 to go!

David Amram
Sonata for Solo Piano (1960)
CF Peters
Brilliant and lyrical (i.e. easy to lisen to) Jazz/Classical Fusion work. Approx 18 minutes. I am on the hunt for a full recording. Possibly taking this beast on:
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Sonata-for-Piano/1006989
I have uploaded a fine dissertation on the work
(from my feed description of it a reviewer's excerpt:David Amram’s Three Movement sonata gathers gospel licks, wide-open-spaced modal portals, Ivesian bell tones, slow, wayward bass lines, Latin-influenced melodies, and blusey Coplandisms. The composer stirs these elements into a pot and comes up with a delicious, eclectic, and organically integrated musical stew. ...I’m baffled that so few pianists have taken up its cause)
https://www.scribd.com/doc/118215311/David-Amram-Sonata-for-Solo-Piano-A-Merger-of-Contemporary-Classical-and-Jazz-Styles
short  bio
https://www.classicalarchives.com/composer/10795.html#tvf=tracks&tv=about
audio short sample clips from each movement
https://www.allmusic.com/performance/piano-sonata-mq0000744076

Offline vsrinivasa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #312 on: December 28, 2012, 02:52:24 PM
I bought a Durand edition of Debussy's complete piano works yesterday, from my local sheet music store. It is very nice, notes are clear and complete.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #313 on: December 29, 2012, 04:08:29 PM
Lots of stuff, including Debussy Suite book for piano, Dvorak complete works book 1 by Urtext(edited in Budapest), Liszt grand etudes, Scriabin concerto reduction for 2 pianos, scriabin etudes, musical dictations. Each only 3 dollars!   ;D
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #314 on: December 30, 2012, 11:14:05 PM
i know! the suspense is killing me!!!!

Further update. Got an email from Stantons:
We do
not have in stock the item you requested.  I looked on the
publisher/vendor website and it has not yet been published.  Sorry we
cannot get it for you.  Your web order is canceled.

Have now emailed Hal Leonard direct. Await response.

I'll get these bloody things (whatever they are) if it kills me!

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #315 on: December 31, 2012, 12:54:11 AM
Further update. Got an email from Stantons:
Have now emailed Hal Leonard direct. Await response.

I'll get these bloody things (whatever they are) if it kills me!
what the freakin heck!? (ala rachmaninoff_forever)

, seriously why did they even list it it and take orders then? i mean one retailer makes an honest mistake, that is understandable, but these were plastered all over othe interwebs!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #316 on: December 31, 2012, 01:19:57 AM
, seriously why did they even list it it and take orders then? i mean one retailer makes an honest mistake, that is understandable, but these were plastered all over othe interwebs!

Hal Leonard's own website lists it as available and "helpfully" links you to a squillion online retailers who should, apparently, have it. I've now tried two of them and don't feel like going through the rest one by one. Will keep you posted.

Also, went a little mad today:

Kodály, Z      Dances of Marosszek
Kodály, Z                9 Piano Pieces
Cziffra, G                Etudes (2) de Concert pour Piano
Cziffra, G                Transcriptions Volume 1
Cziffra, G                Transcriptions Volume 2
Taneyev, S   Album Leaf Op 33
Ligeti, G                Etudes Pour Piano Book 1 (1-6)
Ligeti, G                Etudes Pour Piano Book 2 (7-14)
Ligeti, G                Etudes Pour Piano Book 3 (15-18)
Godowsky, L   Godowsky Collection Volume 1
Godowsky, L   Godowsky Collection Volume 2
Godowsky, L   Godowsky Collection Volume 3

I have most of these in pdf format, but am too lazy/disorganised to bind them myself.  :-[

My two Agnew sonatas arrived today, too. Guess how I'll be spending NYE.  :D

• PS Silver Member
Reply #317 on: December 31, 2012, 04:49:37 AM
Do you guys pay for one day shipping?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #318 on: December 31, 2012, 04:57:57 AM
Do you guys pay for one day shipping?

"One day" shipping to Australia generally doesn't exist.

I don't pay for any faster shipping, though, ever. It trebles the price, which is already horrific. I'd rather spend it on actual scores. Besides, I have quite a backlog, so am in no dire rush.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #319 on: December 31, 2012, 05:00:38 AM
"One day" shipping to Australia generally doesn't exist.

Same here.

I may be impatient but not to the extend that I would pay so much more just to get the books a bit faster. I spend too much on this stuff already...

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #320 on: December 31, 2012, 04:00:10 PM
finally upgrading recording equipment. this will be a significant step up in audio and video quality.

Olympus LS-20M HD Video and Audio Recorder.

practially a pocket sized studio ('prosumer' level type quality with decent functions for price point, size, etc)

i had also considered both the zoom q3hd and q2hd which give very good sound and hd video but the examples of test and side by side examples of clips and the reviews all consistently said the video was only 'so so' for HD. don't get me wrong those are very good units.

the olympus on the other hand consistently garnered top reviews as practically being the best dual function unit onthe market for audio quality (i.e. can record at better than audio CD quality at the highest settings), and the imaging technology at olympus is tops and the hd video (both 720p and 1080p is stunning, and really dramatically better than the zoom examples in field tests and back to back performance recordings or head to head tests).

i was able to get a significant deal on one so i pad substantially less than they go for so it was a 'no brainer for me'.

also it is upgradable in that it accepts external micrphone plugs in (though the on board ones are super great), so i can get the dual olympus externally powered higher quality tripod mounted ones at a later date.

if you are considering a recorder purchase or camera upgrade, this should be an option (as there are not too many hd recorders that put an emphasis on the audio quality)

recording example

testimonials with examples

more examples

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #321 on: December 31, 2012, 10:49:51 PM
^ I'm waiting to see/hear what that thing can do. I really should get something better than my pocket camera (ixus 960IS).

I used to have some decent recording equipment for singing. Still probably have a mixer and microphones somewhere, but it's all analog and I have no device to record from them anymore. The tape recorder broke down years ago.

So I guess I should buy something. Just not sure what...

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #322 on: December 31, 2012, 11:54:06 PM
^ I'm waiting to see/hear what that thing can do. I really should get something better than my pocket camera (ixus 960IS).

I used to have some decent recording equipment for singing. Still probably have a mixer and microphones somewhere, but it's all analog and I have no device to record from them anymore. The tape recorder broke down years ago.

So I guess I should buy something. Just not sure what...
oh gosh, don't wait for any of my slapstick crackpot hijinks to help you make a decision lol, really there are some very good reviews and tests on yt about the olympus (and if you click into the yt channel for that piano video there are some other very nice examples).

depending on your budget i think your other option are the very popular zoom q3hd and q2hd. the q2hd is 'newer' and honestly i like it a lot, it was  a very close call, and only the 'bargain' i got on the oly that swayed me (well that and the video performance), but sound wise you will be hard pressed to beat any of the three.

and it is not like the video onthe zoom side is bad, here is a very nice example of an hd scriabin sonata recording w the q2, im sure there better ones but this one was just one i came across

click  into it and bump to to hd for better picture to appreciate its video. sound here is really good considering where it is placed.
review
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411119,00.asp

will hunt up some q3 resources too. i think costicina has one, as does j_menz as well, so you might be able to get some first hand accounts from them. costi totally reccommends, she mentioned its great on another thread a while ago.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #323 on: January 01, 2013, 12:51:18 AM
oh gosh, don't wait for any of my slapstick crackpot hijinks to help you make a decision lol, really there are some very good reviews and tests on yt about the olympus (and if you click into the yt channel for that piano video there are some other very nice examples).

How could I trust those? Who knows what they actually used and how much they are payed by the manufacturer?  ;D

I remember looking into some of these devices (previous models) about 3 years ago when I needed to buy something to record interviews. Ended up buying a small cheap audio only one... Well, that was before I knew I would want to record piano playing one day...

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #324 on: January 03, 2013, 04:11:11 PM
This one arrived in mail today...what the heck!??? Did someone freaking hack my account?  :-[

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #325 on: January 03, 2013, 08:51:53 PM
This one arrived in mail today...what the heck!??? Did someone freaking hack my account?  :-[

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #326 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09:38 PM

Haha, obviously.  :D

Though it appears someone else has hacked your personality.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #327 on: January 04, 2013, 02:42:29 AM

Just feel sorry for the discarded words after his new years resolution  :)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #328 on: January 04, 2013, 02:45:46 AM
Haha, obviously.  :D

Hey what the he- deuce?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?  Outin is trying to frea-...  Is trying to frame me!

Our deal is off Outin! >:(

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #329 on: January 04, 2013, 02:50:19 AM
Hey what the he- deuce?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?  Outin is trying to frea-...  Is trying to frame me!

Our deal is off Outin! >:(

And I was just trying to help  :'(

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #330 on: January 04, 2013, 02:56:41 AM
And I was just trying to help  :'(

I guess the Outin Home for Neglected Profanities will have to get by with "gadzooks" and "struth".

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #331 on: January 04, 2013, 03:02:34 AM
I guess the Outin Home for Neglected Profanities will have to get by with "gadzooks" and "struth".

Oh, those poor things...Fortunately it's not too crowded yet...:)

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #332 on: January 04, 2013, 01:09:05 PM
been needing my own one of these for a while, normally i just place the recording device on manhasset music stand and make it flat (i.e. table top) and raise it, but it isn't always the most stable option (and you have to make sure all the moving parts are 'tight' or it won't hold, which can be catestrophic)

quality stuff

prob the best 'inexpensive' tripod out there, just a bit more than the cheapest but loads better in quality
https://www.amazon.com/Slik-U8000-Video-Photo-Tripod/dp/B0001PNLIW

https://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/UFS-U8000.html

Offline mahlermaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #333 on: January 04, 2013, 03:37:15 PM

Excited about these. Still above my level, no doubt, but I can't resist giving them a try. They were only 8 dollars after shipping, should arrive next week in the mail.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #334 on: January 04, 2013, 03:40:31 PM

Excited about these. Still above my level, no doubt, but I can't resist giving them a try. They were only 8 dollars after shipping, should arrive next week in the mail.
it's a good set/edition. i bought them last year, nice size, layout, quality paper, lay flat /stays open well. good stuff and great price for the big amount of music you get in that volume.

Soundesign Retro-style Hi-Fidelity Stereo Headphones

https://www.ihomeaudio.com/SD63B/

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #335 on: January 06, 2013, 08:10:33 PM
David Amram
Sonata for Solo Piano (1960)
CF Peters
Brilliant and lyrical (i.e. easy to lisen to) Jazz/Classical Fusion work. Approx 18 minutes. I am on the hunt for a full recording. Possibly taking this beast on:
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Sonata-for-Piano/1006989
I have uploaded a fine dissertation on the work
(from my feed description of it a reviewer's excerpt:David Amram’s Three Movement sonata gathers gospel licks, wide-open-spaced modal portals, Ivesian bell tones, slow, wayward bass lines, Latin-influenced melodies, and blusey Coplandisms. The composer stirs these elements into a pot and comes up with a delicious, eclectic, and organically integrated musical stew. ...I’m baffled that so few pianists have taken up its cause)
https://www.scribd.com/doc/118215311/David-Amram-Sonata-for-Solo-Piano-A-Merger-of-Contemporary-Classical-and-Jazz-Styles
short  bio
https://www.classicalarchives.com/composer/10795.html#tvf=tracks&tv=about
audio short sample clips from each movement
https://www.allmusic.com/performance/piano-sonata-mq0000744076
im working super hard on this thing so i lucked out here.
to my knowledge there are only two recordings of this work, the CD by barbara meister (linked above quote w samples), and this now rare/out of print/no longer produced vintage LP. I was afraid I was only going to be able to listen to a university library holding of it due to it's price but i lucked out and found a very reasonable LP reseller that had an incredible price on this so I feel very luck I'll this to reference and double check the modern recording (which I will be able to get from another university library in the next week or so).

super excited. can't wait for this to arrive in the mail.
Washington Records LP (1966) Amram Shakesphere Concerto and Piano Sonata (this is super cool to because the main theme of the 3rd movement of the sonata comes from the concerto so it'll be an informative listen all the way through)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #336 on: January 14, 2013, 07:32:04 PM
I could not decide which one to get, so got all three  ;D

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #337 on: January 14, 2013, 07:46:45 PM
this year marks the 50th anniverssary since his death.  i really want to try and make some time in the 2nd half of of the year to learn record at least something....(won't be this as this would be a major long term project, something i just can't manage right now)

i was always sad that we never got a large scale/major work like a solo piano sonata or 1 piano concerto from him but i am sooo happy he did leave us this. i absolutely adore this work, you owe it to yourself to sit down and listen to it with the narration in a language you can understand (i.e. there's a good english version if you don't speak french).
this one.

it is also one of my favorite children's stories. and i always loved the simple water color type artwork.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #338 on: January 15, 2013, 01:18:31 AM
i was always sad that we never got a large scale/major work like a solo piano sonata or 1 piano concerto from him

He did a concerto for two pianos and orchestra, a solo piano concerto, a sonata for two pianos, a sonata for 1 piano four hands and two suites.

If you move away from piano alone, there are several sonatas for piano and another instrument; further afield are three operas and a mass which all woiuld be considered "large scale".

Here's the solo concerto:

• PS Silver Member
Reply #339 on: January 15, 2013, 02:23:51 AM
I could not decide which one to get, so got all three  ;D

You seem to have a lot of money.

The top one is the best. 

Whatever you buy, ALWAYS go with Helene Verlag. 

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #340 on: January 15, 2013, 02:36:16 AM
ALWAYS go with Helene Verlag. 

Is she your new love after the VL dream?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #341 on: January 15, 2013, 02:37:53 AM
He did a concerto for two pianos and orchestra, a solo piano concerto, a sonata for two pianos, a sonata for 1 piano four hands and two suites.

If you move away from piano alone, there are several sonatas for piano and another instrument; further afield are three operas and a mass which all woiuld be considered "large scale".

Here's the solo concerto:

many thanks. i knew of the 2 piano concerto, and the two piano sonata and 1p 4h sonata (though i can't recall ever having listened to that one), if i knew of the 1 piano concerto, i had long since forgotten. many thanks. mainly i was lamenting not having a bonafied 1 piano 2 hands sonata (again i knew of the suites but didn't really classify them in same category in my head ::) i need to refrain from posting before my morning or afternoon coffee).

many thanks for those links. will give a listen!

here's the babar in english (theres a very well narrated one by a recording studio in hd but they edited it and do time lapse/skips , i guess saving the full version for a CD release they mention. the entire professional recording of it is in french here
)
but here it is in english, makes for a fun little listen the music is so evocative of everything the story describes
thought this one is strange as it is a 2h score, not sure why they decided to do 1p 4h. oh well. still works ::)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #342 on: January 15, 2013, 02:42:11 AM
Is she your new love after the VL dream?

That dream was soooooooooo good!!!!

But I still felt salty afterwards.

No but yeah, Helene Verlag is the best for everything.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #343 on: January 15, 2013, 04:53:51 AM
You seem to have a lot of money.

Nope. But didn't you know that one does not need money to shop online. There's this plastic thing with numbers on it that you can use to get anything  ;D

The top one is the best. 

Whatever you buy, ALWAYS go with Helene Verlag. 

This is something I will probably work for a long time, so I wanted to make sure I get one that is comfortable to read. And while I usually like Henle too, the WU is the winner this time...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #344 on: January 15, 2013, 05:03:32 AM
There's this plastic thing with numbers on it that you can use to get anything  ;D

I thought all plastic things had numbers on them these days.

Which one gets you everything?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #345 on: January 15, 2013, 05:14:24 AM
I thought all plastic things had numbers on them these days.

Which one gets you everything?

I think you just have to try which one works for you :)

Offline naturlaut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #346 on: January 15, 2013, 11:25:21 AM

One of my favouritest French piano works is the Promenades by Alberic Magnard. Dedicated to his wife, premiered by Blanche Selva describes "promenades", or walks, through the outskirts of Paris, probably with his wife! There is so much love in the music and delicacy in the playing. This Erato LP was miraculously a Japanese press from 1983 (all notes at the back are in Japanese) and played by one of the most important pianists in French history, Jean Doyen.

This piece is recorded several times by different pianists and is readily available on CD. Next to this Doyen recording, I highly recommend the recording by Stephanie McCallum.  (Note: on McCallum's website, her CD of Magnard was labeled as the first recording of this Magnard piece due to the fact that this LP recording was largely unavailable.) This 1983 Doyen recording, to the best of my knowledge, is truly the first recording of this piece.

Offline naturlaut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #347 on: January 15, 2013, 11:35:00 AM

I have previously studied with the American pianist Constance Keene, whose husband was the famed Abram Chasins - the pianist and the composer. I wish I was more savvy at that time.  Anyway, this is quite a rare recording of the couple playing through all three Abram Chasins' transcriptions of Strauss Waltzes for 2 pianos. Really fantastic writing and playing, it's a shame no one really knows or plays these now (none of the many issues of the scores are in print, and none of the LP recordings are transferred on CDs; there are no commercial recordings on YouTube either). I am fortunate enough to have collected all the actual scores and the records; here you are, the fabled recording of the couple, which I just received, and the first edition of the Künstlerleben.

Offline naturlaut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #348 on: January 15, 2013, 11:37:09 AM

Just got this old Melodiya 10" LP of Medtner playing Medtner.  Such beautiful playing, especially on the famous Fairy Tale Op. 20 No. 1, and so beautiful recorded.

Offline naturlaut

• PS Silver Member
Reply #349 on: January 15, 2013, 11:47:17 AM

Picked this up actually last year but didn't get a good look at it until now.  No, this is not a famous work by any measure, though it has seen better light. Garreta was a Catalan composer of great success during his life (1875 – 1925), and this sonata was then performed often in Catalonia, Paris, and even London. Believe or not, we have an historical recording issued by Naxos of the 3rd movement, Sardana, played by none other than the great Blanche Selva. Recent recording includes one by Jordí Maso.

Blanche Selva playing the 3rd movement:
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert