Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: All of these "favourite" threads.  (Read 1905 times)

Offline thorn

• PS Silver Member
All of these "favourite" threads.
on: February 20, 2012, 05:00:41 PM
Moving discussion here from this thread:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=11200.msg492806#new

I am already assuming that any and all forms of disdain towards them are going to be branded "Piano Street snobbery", but I am hoping that there are others of the same mind as I am.

I think all of these threads need... "weeding" and placed onto a seperate board or something so those actually wanting help/nformation about something or whatever else don't have to sift through all of it.

I'm not saying at all that people shouldn't be allowed a bit of fun, or boredom relief or whatever other purposes these threads serve. But I think allowing them to take up the majority of the space where they are at the moment kind of drowns out any intelligent discussion. I will agree with the poster in the linked thread that at times this forum has been known to be a snobs playground. However, not everyone with half a brain is a snob and not all who engage in discussions use them as a platform to ram their self-serving beliefs and judgements down everyone's throat.

When you first make a post on the performance and repertoire boards, the note above says "intended for professional pianists and piano teachers as well as piano students and amateures at an advanced level", and I'm failing to see how all of this trolling particularly serves the aforementioned. Does it make any of us better pianists, teachers or students to know who shares our Chopin Ballade preferences, for example?

Last point is that I'm really not trying to be a kill joy, sometimes I post in such threads myself, I just really think they need shifting into their own corner. There have always been such threads hovering around, but they used to be interspersed amongst other things and as such fine where they were posted. But I think lately the sheer quantity of them is getting ridiculous.

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: All of these "favourite" threads.
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:02:40 PM
I think the Polls board would probably be the most suitable place for those threads.

Offline redbaron

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:30:01 PM
I think the Polls board would probably be the most suitable place for those threads.

Excellent suggestion

Offline redbaron

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:31:21 PM
Moving discussion here from this thread:

I am already assuming that any and all forms of disdain towards them are going to be branded "Piano Street snobbery", but I am hoping that there are others of the same mind as I am.

I must say you have exquisite taste when it comes to quotations old chap  ;D

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:41:30 PM
There is a bit of a plague of "favourites" at the moment and I cannot help thinking that think this might deter those with knowledge, who like to get involved in deeper more meaningful discussions from posting.

Since most of the "favourites" tend to be simply lists, I agree the polls is the proper place.

The same for those "pieces you used to like, loved, unliked, liked, hated and loved again" threads.

Thal

Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 08:37:50 PM
Yep. I am the instigator between the revival of such threads.

Good suggestion! So be it. I will try and remember next time. Polls doesn't appeal as much as the repertoire board although it is my favourite hangout.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:32 PM

Yes, and many of the recent topics which were incorrectly posted in the Repertoire section have now been moved to the Polls section.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 02:11:17 AM
Yes, and many of the recent topics which were incorrectly posted in the Repertoire section have now been moved to the Polls section.

Another question: Do these type of threads with titles like 'pieces with double notes' or 'pieces that sound like it is going to end but....' go in the Polls or Repertoire? TIA.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:01:16 AM
Another question: Do these type of threads with titles like 'pieces with double notes' or 'pieces that sound like it is going to end but....' go in the Polls or Repertoire? TIA.

JL

These are more suitable in Polls while more substantial discussions would go in Repertoire.

Offline thorn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 10:30:55 AM
I was going to say the same as above. If, for example, the "pieces with double notes" thread was about you wanting to develop that aspect of your technique and asking advice for what to play and how to practise etc, then it would be fine in Repertoire.

However, a thread that does what it says on the tin and simply lists which pieces have double notes in them should go in polls.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert