Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Which pieces have a lot of stretching work  (Read 2520 times)

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Which pieces have a lot of stretching work
on: February 23, 2012, 02:14:19 AM
Which pieces in the piano repertoire have a lot of stretching, large chords, arpeggiated notes etc? I can only think of Chopin's etude op 10 no 11 which is a study of arpeggated notes, I think. I think there would be a large number of pieces where rolling of chords would be unacceptable. Am I right? Just list any pieces with large chords etc.

There are 2 composers I know whose pieces always have very large stretches: Lyapunov. I don't know if he had large hands. And the other Rachmaninoff.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Which pieces have a lot of stretching work
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:34 AM
I can only think of Chopin's etude op 10 no 11 which is a study of arpeggated notes

Looked at the score? - many of them are well beyond the 'stretch' of a large hand. If they are arpegiated why do you need to stretch?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 02:53:04 AM
Scriabin Etude Op 65 Nr 1.  The RH consists of major 9ths.  Not only that, you need to play chromatic scales in 9ths. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 05:44:43 AM
Bartok's Etude No. 1 is specifically for that.  Although the aforementioned-Scriabin piece is probably a better choice: the Bartok Etudes are near-impossible.  Besides, once you hear the second one, you will find it too irresistible, and will be unable to devote yourself to No. 1 =P

Offline drkilroy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:32:13 AM
Le Gibet from Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit. The large chords in it do not sound very well rolled, I think. They are not played very fast, so perhaps this is possible to play.  :P

Best regards, Dr
HASTINGS: Why don't you get yourself some turned down collars, Poirot? They're much more the thing, you know.
[...]
POIROT: The turned down collar is the first sign of decay of the grey cells!

Offline christovr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:44:39 PM
Liszt - Benediction de Dieu dans la solitude. Right hand arpegiated and 'trill' over interval of 11th.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert