Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: etudes....  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Chris_Rossoni

• PS Silver Member
etudes....
on: January 24, 2003, 05:17:42 AM
i was just wondering what etudes i should start playing.   a friend said they might help develope technique(SP?)    something i have always adored is a powerful  but very controlled pianist.  I mean someone like Horowitz...   he had power and gentleness.   I hope to find something that can aid me on reaching musical maturity and control.   thanks!

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Re: etudes....
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 12:40:00 AM
It depends on your level of playing and experience at the piano if you want to choose a study. If you are a beginner pianist it would not be a good idea to launch into the great piano études of the romantic period.

An excellent lead in to playing studies would be the Bach 2 and 3 part inventions. They cultivate part playing , finger control as well the refinement of musical taste.
Cheers,
Robert.

Offline Chris_Rossoni

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 12:47:24 AM
its funny that i have played a few of the bach inventions....i found them almost sightreadable.   maybe i played some easy ones?    anyways, are there any intermediate etudes?  im picky lol

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 10:12:19 AM
What about the Cramer studies? They were composed in 1804 and Beethoven said that they were "the chief basis of all genuine playing".  They all have great technical value and many have considerable musical beauty.  Cramer was a piano virtuoso and a prolific composer, but he is remembered today almost exclusively for his volume of technical studies. They are certainly at the intermediate level of difficulty.
Give them a go!
Robert.

Offline Le-ackt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2003, 08:13:31 PM
Chopin Etudes , Always good for Everyone who want to take their playing to next level . Even is for accomplished musicians .
And dont forget , there are 24 etudes , each one represent a different technical difficulty . Bach's invention may be very easy for just playing , but actually many of the pianoist miss the content , the Compositional part and there're so much Amazing elements for example counterpoint and chords progressing .
Many pianoist just learn how to play the piece and throw it away ....... come on , where is the music theory learning part ???
Oh well , just a opinion on what i have seen around so far ~ anyways , good luck ~  8)

Offline rach17

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 05:01:30 AM
Some other excellent etudes are the Moszkowski etudes, especially the double note book.  They are quite challenging, however
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert