Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Medieval Brass Rubbings  (Read 5029 times)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Medieval Brass Rubbings
on: February 26, 2012, 06:34:32 PM
Does anyone know the best places to go to get these??

Thanks

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline flyinfingers

Re: Medieval Brass Rubbings
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:38:14 PM
Never mind.  It was something you frame. 
I wear my heart on my sleeve.  Don't touch my shirt!  Coined by yours truly, flyinfingers

Offline redbaron

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 06:39:50 PM
Does anyone know the best places to go to get these??

Thanks

Thal

Yeah I believe the best place is the Sorabji Archive...

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 06:43:02 PM
Never mind.  It was something you frame. 

Thanks, the link you posted originally is exactly what I am after and gave the location where it was taken.

Essex it but a stones throw from me, so I will investigate further.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:36:09 PM
Thanks, the link you posted originally is exactly what I am after and gave the location where it was taken.

Investigate all that you will - and the best of luck (subject to the nature of and motivation for your interest therein) - just don't expect to pin anything on us, as we have no known connection to brass rubbings of any era, medieval or otherwise.

Oh - and by the way - an apostrophe is required between "stone" and "s" here; even well educated Essex boys knows that, dun't they...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 10:28:45 PM
Bollock's
Curator/Director

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 10:39:17 PM
Very clever, Alistair, very clever . . .

Investigate all that you will - and the best of luck (subject to the nature of and motivation for your interest therein) - just don't expect to pin anything on us, as we have no known connection to brass rubbings of any era, medieval or otherwise.

Oh - and by the way - an apostrophe is required between "stone" and "s" here; even well educated Essex boys knows that, dun't they...

Best,

Alistair

Investigate you nature and just brass medieval

investigate you nature and [brass <---> just] medieval

inveStigate yOu natuRe And Brass Just medIeval

SORABJI

but not clever enough!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 11:15:28 PM
HEHE, I knew he would sneak him in somehow.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:30:21 PM
fftransform has waaaay to much time on his/her hands  :P

The best place to get mediaeval brass rubbings is from mediaeval brass.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:03:27 AM
Bollock's
"Bollo'x", surely?...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:04:31 AM
Very clever, Alistair, very clever . . .

but not clever enough!
Mon Dieu, some people really do have so much time on their hands and so little idea as to what to do with it!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:09:25 AM
HEHE, I knew he would sneak him in somehow.
By "he" I presume you to mean redbaron in reply # 2.

Anyway, for the record, I should perhaps emphasise once again for the sake of clarity and understanding that we at The Sorabji Archive do not supply medieval brass rubbings or indeed information thereon but we do supply much else, as a glance through www.sorabji-archive.co.uk will reveal to anyone who has yet to visit our site.

That said, do please note that my reference to Sorabji here is strictly in response to others' mention of him rather than arbitrarily introduced by me into a thread wherein it might not otherwise be thought to belong...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 08:13:47 AM
Aggh, the good old website has made it on.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 10:23:08 AM
Aggh, the good old website has made it on.
Indeed it has; "bring it", in fact! Sadly for those who prefer that mention of Sorabji here be eschewed (a strange desire for anyone on a piano forum, for all that), if someone nevertheless creates a context by mentioning him, no one should be surprised or disappointed if his name and/or other references to him are then made in response.

That said, however, since no conceivable connection between the composer and the thread topic has yet been made, it might be a good idea either to make it first so as to provide a meaningful context for further discussion or to admit that there is no such connection and drop the topic. The choice is open to whomsoever may wish to make it.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 01:53:02 PM
Mon Dieu, some people really do have so much time on their hands and so little idea as to what to do with it!

Best,

Alistair

Ironic, coming from somebody who has taken the time to travel across some non-trivial percentage of the world to (then) listen to the entirety of Opus Clavicembalisticum (more than once), whereas my response took a measly two minutes to write, surely less time than it took you to write some of your own in this very thread.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 02:15:24 PM
Ironic, coming from somebody who has taken the time to travel across some non-trivial percentage of the world to (then) listen to the entirety of Opus Clavicembalisticum (more than once), whereas my response took a measly two minutes to write, surely less time than it took you to write some of your own in this very thread.
Incorrect on a number of counts, I fear. Firstly, no irony is involved. Secondly, I have travelled what you call a "non-trivial" distance to listen to a performance of Opus Clavicembalisticum only once (though what that fact has to do with the matter that you raise remains unclear, as I am about to demonstrate). Thirdly, my reference that you quote was to people who have little idea as to what to do with the time that they have on their hands, whereas anyone who decides to go anywhere to listen to a performance of anything must have a clear idea in advance of what he/she wishes to do with the amount of time, including travelling to and from it, that will be required to attend such a performance. Fourthly, on the question of the amount of time spent in posting, different posts will take different members different amounts of time to type and, in any case, not everyone here has the same typing speed, so the fact that some posts take longer to type than others is one that hardly merits comment in this or any other context.

All that said, none of the above (your post or my response thereto) has any more connection with Medieval brass rubbings than has Sorabji or his music, so my suggestion above as to where to progress from here still stands.

Dear me! - what a load of rubbings!...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 05:04:20 PM
What drugs are you on today Rodney??
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 06:02:14 PM
What drugs are you on today Rodney??
Which of the forum members is Rodney? (a question that arises from the fact that none appears to use Rodney as a fourm ID) and why in particular do you need to ask him, especially in the context of this particular thread? Again, a direct connection between Medieval Brass Rubbings and drugs, whether recreational or pharmaceutical, is far from obvious...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 09:31:14 PM
Couldn't get it to quote,  but you wrote:

Thal

Sorry I erased the link.   Just figured it was useless!   Glad to have helped! 8)
I wear my heart on my sleeve.  Don't touch my shirt!  Coined by yours truly, flyinfingers

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 09:33:33 PM

Thal

Sorry I erased the link.  Figured it was useless, but you piqued my curiosity when you posted and was wondering what they were. 
Glad to be of help!   8)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 09:48:26 PM
was wondering what they were. 

I guess you don't have them in America.

However, you have lots of banjo shops to make up for it.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 10:04:15 PM
Hmmm, can't say that I recall ever seeing a "banjo shop."  What part of USA would they most likely be in?  I've been to a lot of places in this country.

Offline elspeth

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 04:08:10 AM
A copy of England's Thousand Best Churches might well help you find places with brass worth rubbing... There are some wonderful church buildings in your neck of the woods.
Go you big red fire engine!

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 06:16:27 AM
Thirdly, my reference that you quote was to people who have little idea as to what to do with the time that they have on their hands, whereas anyone who decides to go anywhere to listen to a performance of anything must have a clear idea in advance of what he/she wishes to do with the amount of time, including travelling to and from it, that will be required to attend such a performance.

So, then, your comment could not have been directed toward me, given that I was not attending a performance.  Instead, I wrote a post on a forum.  Unless you misspoke?  In which case, I assume that you are insinuating that, were I to have somehow accidentally, and without intent, written that post, then I would have had a good idea of what to do with my time?  There's an issue with the use of the qualitative "good" that you ignore, first of all.  Second of all, I'm quite sure that people have, and will continue to, impulsively attend concerts (traveling to said concert is pragmatically understood to be a component of "attend").  But, of course, this all means that you have failed to differentiate my posting and your concert-attending in the context which you apparently wished to.  So in which capacity did you misspeak, out of curiosity?

Perhaps you should take more time with writing your posts.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 07:28:52 AM
So, then, your comment could not have been directed toward me, given that I was not attending a performance.  Instead, I wrote a post on a forum.  Unless you misspoke?  In which case, I assume that you are insinuating that, were I to have somehow accidentally, and without intent, written that post, then I would have had a good idea of what to do with my time?  There's an issue with the use of the qualitative "good" that you ignore, first of all.  Second of all, I'm quite sure that people have, and will continue to, impulsively attend concerts (traveling to said concert is pragmatically understood to be a component of "attend").  But, of course, this all means that you have failed to differentiate my posting and your concert-attending in the context which you apparently wished to.  So in which capacity did you misspeak, out of curiosity?

Perhaps you should take more time with writing your posts.
Make your mind up! More time writing them or less time writing them? Oh, it's of no consequence. My comment about attending a single performance of OC in US (what, incidentally, gave youo the idea that I'd attend more than one?) - which it would not have occurred to me or indeed even been necessary for me to make had you not first raised it yourself - was for the purpose of pointing out that very difference between you taking time to write that post and me attending that performance, for one reason only - namely that you had referred to what you perceived as "irony" in what I had written, in the light of my having attended that performance; your assumption that I had sought to insinuate that, were you somehow accidentally and unintentionally to have written your post, you would have had a good idea of what to do with your time is, I fear, wholly misguided, as no one is suggesting that your post appeared of its own volition, by accident ot without intent. So - the remainder of your paragraph just doesn't stand up.

Not to worry; there are more important things in life - even Medieval Brass Rubbings, so I hear...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 08:16:55 AM
A copy of England's Thousand Best Churches might well help you find places with brass worth rubbing... There are some wonderful church buildings in your neck of the woods.

I have got that book and never thought to look.

Cobham is not far from me and they have some excellent rubbing opportunities.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 09:31:11 AM
I have got that book and never thought to look.
So do I - by the journalist Simon Jenkins. As far as I recall, one entry qualification in the volume is that a church must be open to visitors every day.

Good hunting!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline fftransform

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 05:38:27 PM
Make your mind up! More time writing them or less time writing them? Oh, it's of no consequence. My comment about attending a single performance of OC in US (what, incidentally, gave youo the idea that I'd attend more than one?) - which it would not have occurred to me or indeed even been necessary for me to make had you not first raised it yourself - was for the purpose of pointing out that very difference between you taking time to write that post and me attending that performance, for one reason only - namely that you had referred to what you perceived as "irony" in what I had written, in the light of my having attended that performance; your assumption that I had sought to insinuate that, were you somehow accidentally and unintentionally to have written your post, you would have had a good idea of what to do with your time is, I fear, wholly misguided, as no one is suggesting that your post appeared of its own volition, by accident ot without intent. So - the remainder of your paragraph just doesn't stand up.

Not to worry; there are more important things in life - even Medieval Brass Rubbings, so I hear...

Best,

Alistair

The entirety of my paragraph is a paraphrase of your own writing: that is why it doesn't stand up.  I extended the notion of "wasting time" past merely writing posts on a piano forum to listening to an entire performance of the OC; you then made two unrelated responses, one in which you would have had to liken my post to a performance of music, and the other in which you would have to show that I did not intend to write my post (as you had intended to listen to the OC), which was the difference that you tried to say was relevant.  The amount of time it takes you to write a post is of not interest to me; you are the one who mentioned it.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 05:57:57 PM
The entirety of my paragraph is a paraphrase of your own writing
Then the only response I have to that is "could do better".

I extended the notion of "wasting time" past merely writing posts on a piano forum to listening to an entire performance of the OC
You did indeed, insofar as it went; why you did so is less clear.

you then made two unrelated responses, one in which you would have had to liken my post to a performance of music, and the other in which you would have to show that I did not intend to write my post (as you had intended to listen to the OC), which was the difference that you tried to say was relevant.
"Would have had to"? "Would have to?" Quoi?

The amount of time it takes you to write a post is of not interest to me; you are the one who mentioned it.
Were that the case, I "would have had to" imagine that I had read the sentence "perhaps you should take more time with writing your posts" with which you ended your previous post and which appears to suggest that you had sufficient interest in my posting speed to have written it; I don't time myself when doing so, incidentally, mindful perhaps of my long ago remark (in a context with which I'll refrain from boring you or anyone else), "doesn't enjoyment fly when you're timing yourself"...

Does anyone have anything interesting to say about Medieval Brass Rubbings? Just curious...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert