Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: memorize czerny  (Read 3102 times)

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
memorize czerny
on: February 26, 2012, 07:33:28 PM
hi
do you as a teachers  expect  your students to memorize czerny opus 599 studies? or  only sight read them?
and do you expect them to play perfectly as for performance or accept some imperfections?
excuse me i asked this question  at student section but  there was no reply
thank you

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: memorize czerny
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 08:39:31 PM
If I did, even remotely, expect something like this from my students I'd be out of business within 2 months. Well, perhaps rather within 2 weeks  :P

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:05:36 PM
No brain is so empty that it could profitably be filled with Czerny.  ;D
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:08:33 AM
hi
very good responses .what about imperfections of doing studies ?
is that acceptable or not?
thank you

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:05 AM
for more gifted student, yes, less gifted, no.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:13:06 PM
what about imperfections of doing studies ? is that acceptable or not?

Czerny studies are designed to improve a certain aspect of technique. No imperfection in that aspect should be acceptable (as the final goal).

If your imperfections are in other aspects, such as musicality, then I wouldn't be so concerned. I have no idea how anyone makes music from Czerny anyway.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:33:35 AM
Czerny studies are designed to improve a certain aspect of technique. No imperfection in that aspect should be acceptable (as the final goal).

so you mean it should be memorize or site read at full tempo without even one wrong notes?
thank you

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:55 PM
so you mean it should be memorize or site read at full tempo without even one wrong notes?
thank you

Ideally. The odd wrong note is probably OK, but if you keep making the same error, it is generally a sign that you are doing something more fundamentally wrong at that point (fingering or hand position being most likely in Czerny) and you do need to find out what it is and fix it.

Offline jmanpno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:23 AM
Twats!  Any and all can memorize.  HA!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 05:47:55 AM
Twats!  Any and all can memorize.  HA!

Another secret you will refrain from sharing?

I, for one, remember nothing.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 11:20:37 AM
If I did, even remotely, expect something like this from my students I'd be out of business within 2 months. Well, perhaps rather within 2 weeks  :P

Why?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 12:49:51 PM
probably like has been mentioned above it depends on the caliber of student you have, the standard to which you require a work/lesson assigment and your general teaching preference. at my previous school one of the professors (she tended to draw have many of the most gifted students, i.e. many came to this school specifically to study with her) required every piece studied to be fully memorized by the first piano lesson or she would not hear you /teach and basically either send you back to practice or have you not bother showing up if you didn't come in with the work/study etc fully memorized and prepped for a productive lesson.  on my end memorization was always required but not always by the first lesson but definately by several in it was expected and definately held the learning back if you didn't know the notes down pat by a certain point.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 01:01:25 PM
Why?

Sometimes I suggested some Czerny, but never with great success. I think there were only 3 or 4 students from me who played 1 or 2 Czerny pieces. People here usually strongly dislike Czerny. And they hear from their parents and grandparents about Czerny that they had to play it in their youth and that it was terribly boring.

Offline jmanpno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 01:56:55 PM
jmenz... this one i will go into over the intraweb.  quite simply it is either a function of an emotional disorder and the inability to use mnemonic devices effectively.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 10:29:29 PM
jmenz... this one i will go into over the intraweb.  quite simply it is either a function of an emotional disorder and the inability to use mnemonic devices effectively.

Or simply a lack of either need or interest.

Offline jmanpno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 08:26:45 PM
j_menz, you are simply going to be a thorn in my side for as long as we both exist.  i shall have to go about getting you banned. 

in any event you asked what the secrets about memorization were... you could not say that you cannot remember anything if there was no interest!  you would never try.

i've noticed that this place does not do well with words like *** (@s$h0!e) but till I can work on that too, you sir are a twat.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 11:40:13 PM
in any event you asked what the secrets about memorization were... you could not say that you cannot remember anything if there was no interest!  you would never try.

I do have an interest in it; I'd love to have some pieces memorised. I just don't have enough interest to sit down and work at it. If you have tips on making it easy, I'm all ears.

Offline jmanpno

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 03:58:34 AM
mnemonic devices....

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 02:17:13 AM
I do have an interest in it; I'd love to have some pieces memorised. I just don't have enough interest to sit down and work at it. If you have tips on making it easy, I'm all ears.

We have as much interest in your pianistic development as you do ;-)

Offline haydnseeker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 12:49:54 PM
If memorising Czerny is a problem for you, be grateful you weren't one of Goldenweiser's students:

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=43608.msg479282#msg479282

I hope she benefited from all that work!  (My Schirmer copy of Op. 740 has 175 pages of score.)

I do think it's advantageous to memorise studies, even when they're not pieces that are ever going to played to an audience.  If I'm trying to strengthen or extend my technique through a study, then I want to be totally focused on the playing and not be distracted by having to read.  Czerny is so predictable musically that memorising his pieces isn't very challenging.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 10:27:45 PM
Czerny is so predictable musically that memorising his pieces isn't very challenging.

Neither is reading them.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 10:36:55 PM

I doubt it would be even close to easy if you don't do it intuitively - its pretty simple though..

Memorise the score visually and theoretically - memorise the look of the keys played visually - memorise the sound of the notes.... conciously link them together.

Do this by...
writing out the score from memory -
Read the piece once, then attempt to play it from memory (small sections) - rinse and repeat
hear the notes in your head as you play - if you get stuck playing from memory attempt to find the notes by ear without looking at the score..

^no doubt qualifies as too much effort for you..

it works both ways though really doesnt it - I'm a fairly stella 'memorisor' / ear player - but my reading is pretty weak..

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 10:47:43 PM
^no doubt qualifies as too much effort for you..

Haha, yep.

it works both ways though really doesnt it - I'm a fairly stella 'memorisor' / ear player - but my reading is pretty weak..

My reading is actually pretty good, and if I read through a piece a few times it gets a lot better. Obviously I'm memorising something, but I still need the score there to do anything.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert