Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: finger tips vs finger pad- semi straight finger  (Read 12045 times)

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
finger tips vs finger pad- semi straight finger
on: March 26, 2012, 08:18:20 AM
Ok focus here is my 2 cents for piano training. We have seen lots ideal hands positions using finger tips that finger is curved and so as some professional pianist who played with semi flat straight fingers using pad of finger rather tip.

I have done lots trials and experinment and read lots articles so as consulting with top professionals see how they manage to produce a "tone " they wanted.

Playing with finger tip:

This is using more of top 2 joints of finger muslces, so called steel fingers, the aim is to develop top two joints, this approach add very little stress on your palm, so the rest of the fingers after second joints. eg whrist is supple still.  This is good for playing Mozart, quick passages.

Playing with semi striaght fingers(flat finer tip)
This is good for relaxing your finger tip when power is required using your second resource, which is playing with your finger pad that you make your finger semi straight, and now you will find you are uisng more muscles from your palm than your finger tips. So the game is you alternate between finger tips and finger pad. to recovery.As matter of fact, you are now resting your finger tip but using finger pad.
Playing with semi stright finger improves your hands dexterity so as power.
This means, people with a bigger palm not necessary a long fingers but skinny in theory should have more reserves in energy.
Guys, go and try you will find this is very useful, and now its up to you to spend time on piano or not. Have a good day.
I hope this makes sense, and helps this community.

John

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Re: finger tips vs finger pad- semi straight finger
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:37:23 AM
The shape of the finger has little to do with which muscles are required to depress a key.

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:46:03 AM
The shape of the finger has little to do with which muscles are required to depress a key.
Please read again, this is nothing do to with the shape of the finger, its to do with the "angle of entry on the key".

By the way,"IF" its to do with the shape of the finger,
if you do physics, I think you did. A sharper kinfe will pententrate better than a blunde knife. or I should put it simpler, in  woodwrok, to join two planks together, IS it better use a bend nails than a straight nails ;D which do you find easier....
Why do tank tracks have wide tracks than narrow track....its the :AW of physcis that you can not deny. ::)

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 09:53:36 AM
Please read again, this is nothing do to with the shape of the finger, its to do with the "angle of entry on the key".
'angle of entry' of what?  Which 'angle of entry'?

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:03:52 AM
keyboard..... ;D, Sorry man, my explanation is bit too complicated. "angle of entry" applies to the positioning of your hands(palm/fingers) on the piano keys and the angle of striking keys, that is measured between your finger of contact and keys.

For example, the most common way is 45degrees. But that is just a theotical value. We do what we can do, if you are born with uncommon hands, so live with it. :o we arwe human, we can only do what god has given us. ;D

I think, it is better to do 1 week experiment youself and tell me your outcome afterwards... 8)

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:13:18 AM
I think, it is better to do 1 week experiment youself and tell me your outcome afterwards... 8)
I've done years of experimenting.  My results?  Allow the body to use what ever angle is required as and when.  I start with slanting knuckles - unusual I know, but it allows the 'door nob' turning muscles some relaxation. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert