Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Composers in this era with music of the last era  (Read 1850 times)

Spatula

Composers in this era with music of the last era
on: September 26, 2004, 01:53:40 AM
Well...it seems that "classical" pieces have some sort of era, say from the Bach and Haydn, Mozart up to say the 1950s.  Where have all these composers disappear to? besides the grave yard.  But now the composers do wacky stuff and "modern music" which lacks the understanding and depth and beauty.  Maybe it's because society is different and there's no more motivation to write music for hire.  The masses have got to listen to whatever is the hippest…MTV ahem.  Now this is starting to be a rant for no reason.

I think maybe the closest, but not quite classical, but rather new age stuff is from Yanni.  He writes a good melody, but it’s still too simplistic and doesn’t have that “classical” feel to it.  Hence the name classical because it’s old, but it’s appreciated.  If this genre of music was old, but not popular, perhaps people would call it: weirdo music, or music for personal satisfaction but not much more.  

Now this raises a few questions in my head, and I would like your opinion.  

1. Which composer do you wish would have lived a longer life span if he or she could do so.  For example, Chopin would have lived from 1810-1879 instead of 1810-1849, and he could have possibly and most likely written even more beautiful music.  Same with Mozart.  

I personally choose Chopin if he could live an extra 25 or 30 years to write awesome inspiring music for us to enjoy even 500 years later.  

2. Which brings up the question when will Classical music, if ever, become extinct in a sense that it’s the year 5034 AD, will people even think that Classical music is considered music, compared to perhaps (with obvious speculation), all the techno beeps and boopado-daps and super generation rap and gravity rock and roll?  

3. Would you write a fictional story about a composer who lives in the modern era or even in this day and age that you’d totally create, but you are the one who writes the music and uses that name as a “pen name”, so you’d be the one that creates this legendary composer but his or her music is your own creation, but you credit the works to the fake composer, even though people would recognize you and that composer as one being?

I’m not really talking about a split personality here, but more of a fantasy-reality perception whereby instead of saying of your own personal biography with all the boring stuff like school work etc, you’d make this composer fascinating, like he grew up poor and desperate, and chose to write music because that’s all he was born to do.

I’ll let you to it.

(Bernhard please shed some positive light that people can compose these days just as they can compose the same styles of those found in the renaissance or romantic era, because I will scream at hearing another teenie-bobber)

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Re: Composers in this era with music of the last e
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 03:41:07 AM
1. Which composer do you wish would have lived a longer life span if he or she could do so.  For example, Chopin would have lived from 1810-1879 instead of 1810-1849, and he could have possibly and most likely written even more beautiful music. Same with Mozart.

I think Chopin was too static a composer, he wasn't really developing. So if he would lived longer, sure he would have written more beautiful pieces, but more of the same. I am not really into Mozart.

I would probably pick Scriabin.

2. Which brings up the question when will Classical music, if ever, become extinct in a sense that it’s the year 5034 AD, will people even think that Classical music is considered music, compared to perhaps (with obvious speculation), all the techno beeps and boopado-daps and super generation rap and gravity rock and roll?  

I don't understand this question.  Music is music. Why is music music? Firstly, because of physics, the laws of nature. These will not change. Secondly, because of the cognitive language abilities. Music is a language side product. This is in our genes. The third factor is culture.

So in a large sense music will always sound the same to humans from any culture or time will always have the ability to enjoy any music. If there are going to be serious music listeners in the future they will probably be interested in music from earlier times or from different cultures. Maybe its similar to listening eastern music as a westener. I enjoy it very much.

Plus, why do you think that in 3000 years we will still have rap, rock and techno music. Some rock music fans are just as scared about their music dying out as some classical music fans.

A nice development we will see is creating music without an instrument. Just wireing our brain to a sound producing machine and thinking the notes/music will produce it. Solves all the technical barriers we have to overtake at this moment. It will be alot more efficient.

3. Would you write a fictional story about a composer...

No, why would I. I don't get the point of doing something like that.

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 05:57:42 PM
1. Which composer do you wish would have lived a longer life span if he or she could do so?

Ravel of course :P.

Classical music will never die!

3. Would you write a fictional story about a composer who lives in the modern era or even in this day and age that you’d totally create, but you are the one who writes the music and uses that name as a “pen name”, so you’d be the one that creates this legendary composer but his or her music is your own creation, but you credit the works to the fake composer, even though people would recognize you and that composer as one being?

I had to read that twice to understand. No, because then, he would be the one composing, not me.

Also, listen to some Gorecki. They say his music is real good, although I have not listened to any yet.

Offline dlu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 03:39:34 AM
But now the composers do wacky stuff and "modern music" which lacks the understanding and depth and beauty.  Maybe it's because society is different and there's no more motivation to write music for hire.

What are you trying to say. Are you talking about composers like Schoenberg (one of my favorites) or people like Cage (ugh...the only piece of his I like is 4'33). Or are you talking about popular music. I would be very affended if thought Schoenberg's music didn't have any depth (I really don't care if you didn't think it had beauty...i frankly think some of it is not that attractive).
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert