Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Costanza (12 yrs) plays Schumann Intermezzo op 26: new version  (Read 16991 times)

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
My daughter Costanza (12 yrs), secluded at home with a bad form of  chickenpox, decided to resume the Schumann’s Intermezzo she learned some months ago. IMO this rest period has had a  highly beneficial   effect on the piece (or should we thank her illness? ::)).  

Anyway,  since she trusts (rightly) your opinion more than mine,  she asked me to submit her performance to your  judgment/critique/suggestions:  any feedback will be most welcome (and please, don't be afraid to be harsh....) Here it is:

P.S. Costanza whishes to dedicate her performance to the cat Henri (and to Enrique, who introduced him to us... :D :D :D :D :D :D)

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
again you two give me far more credit than i am worthy of, what an honor! and thank you :D
rare is the piece by bobby that doesn't bore me...this more than qualifies as a cool piece and i actually enjoyed watching and listening to this. i'd never heard it actually (there's a shocker, i piece i hadn't heard by a composer whose music i dont'particularly seek out), be that as it may, she plays this with  authority & pizazz! very good job!

it more than gets my "
"

now the panel vote:

i think this will continue to settle well into her hands as it grows with her, i think like for many of us (most certainly myself INCLUDED), some time with hands separate and slow deliberate under tempo work to solidify hand positions and jumps with accuracy will help it along, also discuss with her and have her make decisions on where she really wants to make it obvious to us where her phrases begin, arrive/climax, and end.  this should help the dynmaic constrasts come through more, it is apparent she has it in her head but like with myself, sometimes what we 'plan' while playing and the sound that comes out don't match sometimes, so have her watch this again and have her tell you where she thinks she needed to be softer or louder, etc.

next steps,
-RH separate slow work up to faster
-LH  separate slow work to faster
all while incorporate the phrasing and dynamics more (she's on the right track we just need a bit more).
make sure when she puts the hands back together we DO NOT start hands together again at the tempo we finished hands separate, we slow down to probably half tempo when we put it together again then work up again.

i think this will help her memorize it too, this way she can play with the music desk down or take it/slide it off the piano completely, it really does affect the sound coming at you so she can hear and adjust accordingly in performance.

also the above is generic on purpose, it should help the sonatina and your projects as well. now i need to go follow my own advice....

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
very good, after hearing this I think I  suck... :-[

Pay more attention on LH 2m to 2m15. The LH melody not firmly prounouced, there are few notes she tends to jump a bit. Try sepeare hand and check for meoldy lines.

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
You never disappoint us, Enrique:  thank you!!!!! From now on, I'm afraid Schumann will be forever Bobby for Costanza  ;D  ( I think I need more badly than her your advices about wise practicing...))

Thank you, John, for listening and for your advices!!!!

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Lovely performance, Costanza!  And while sick, too!!  You're such a brave and spirited young lady!  Of course, I haven't heard of this piece  (I know very few pieces) but I thought you played it beautifully with a nice singing tone.  Enjoyable!  And get well soon!

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
A very nice recording of a well played piece. In addition to the comments above I would dust off the metronome. Yes, even in Schumann. The spots where you slow down won't make any sense if you don't return to speed or are at speed before you slow down. I have found that this is one of the most difficult aspects of playing romantic music. Somehow we must make sense of the piece for our listeners.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Surely your nice comments and your useful suggestions will cheer her up (and her mom as well  ;)).  I must confess that I make her play a lot these days to keep her fingers busy: is impossible to scratch your skin while practicing  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D... After all, it was not such a bad idea!!!!

Thank you with all my heart for your support and your encouragement, my friends!!!!!

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Let me just add to my comments and direct this to everybody who plays romantic composers. Even though that era is long gone we must find a way to transport our listener into that era. This is a very abstract concept, made more abstract because we can only communicate it by sound. I imagine it being as difficult as trying to conceive of the Rome Roesler Franz saw.

That is why I feel that we must make the changes in tempo where we slow done for a hold very clear. That slow down is only clear by contrast from the previous tempo and by returning to it exactly at speed.

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline zoecalgary

Hi! I am not familiar with this piece but wow what talent you have! And only 12 years old! I am envious of your skill! Keep playing and kee posting videos.

PS hope you feel better soon!

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Thank you, Zoe, for your nice words!!!
I'm doing my best to make music an important part of Costanza's life....but the double role of mother/teacher is going to give me a lot trouble, I know, as she enters in her teens  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Re: Costanza (12 yrs) plays Schumann Intermezzo op 26: new version
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 05:46:13 PM
I think Bobby himself would be pretty pleased with this interpretation!

The melody line is well articulated mostly -there are only a few places where it loses clarity -toward the end of phrases -I think it helps to make up words -and sing them as you play -This piece now only needs super refining -so amazing!  To play this piece to this standard is wonderful!
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Costanza (12 yrs) plays Schumann Intermezzo op 26: new version
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 07:00:41 PM
Well, there's no comparison to the previous video.  I hear the "canto" throughout.  And it was always shaped as if it were sung.  And that's not easy with all that's going on, under it.  Brava!

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
My daughter Costanza (12 yrs), secluded at home with a bad form of  chickenpox....

really???  now what did they immunize her with the 1st time... water???  lol!!!  ::) ;D  I am sure she was vaccinated for varicella/chicken pox which to the minimum gives her partial immunity ... so that a chickenpox breakthrough in her will be expected to be mild because of this partial immunity.  But if she had a bad case of, then it is worth asking her doctor or questioning the quality of immunization ......  just a thought for the mother... :-X :)

Anyway,  since she trusts (rightly) your opinion more than mine,  she asked me to submit her performance to your  judgment/critique/suggestions: . . . . . .

My...my .... the roles we parents play including being intermediaries in PianoStreet. Enzo often requests me to do the same things, as rightly "he does not trust me," being a non-pianist.  He would query me if Birba, David, Dave etc .... said anything about how he played.

Margh, please tell Constanza that she plays this piece very well and better then mom??!! ;D ;D
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
really???  now what did they immunize her with the 1st time... water???  lol!!!  ::) ;D  I am sure she was vaccinated for varicella/chicken pox which to the minimum gives her partial immunity ... so that a chickenpox breakthrough in her will be expected to be mild because of this partial immunity.  But if she had a bad case of, then it is worth asking her doctor or questioning the quality of immunization ......  just a thought for the mother... :-X :)

My...my .... the roles we parents play including being intermediaries in PianoStreet. Enzo often requests me to do the same things, as rightly "he does not trust me," being a non-pianist.  He would query me if Birba, David, Dave etc .... said anything about how he played.

Margh, please tell Constanza that she plays this piece very well and better then mom??!! ;D ;D
Better than mom: I hope so!!!!! ;)
As for the varicella, in Italy it's not included in the vaccinations program, like others childhood exanthems...But she recovered well: ready for another piano piece  ;D ;D

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Wow Costanza plays really well!!! Didn't you once say she's only learning piano for like 2 years or something?  :o cause that's the same as me but there's no way I could play such a complicated piece so well!! I guess she's really talented!  :)  8) some time ago I would be a little jealous! but now I'm just not jealous anymore of how other people play piano at all, don't really know why.  :-\  :)

Oh in my country we don't get vaccinated for chickenpox either! But I got it at 4 already.  :P It's great she recovered well, I hope she didn't get scars, i still have one on my back!  :P

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
You have no idea how much Costanza envies you, Littletune, not only for your fluent English, and your loveliness, your fresh and lively spirit: but above all because you don't have a Dragon Mom who ask you to practice every day, even with cickenpox  ;D ;D ;D
Besides, she started more than 3 years ago, you are doing very, very well, in spite of your hideous neighbours!!!!

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Off topic a little...

If there is a vaccine for it, get it! Sometimes it won't be in the free or reduced cost program, but put the money aside somehow and get it. My shingles shot cost me close to $300 and my pneumonia shot could have been free if I admitted (lied) to working around Indians. 

Shots are a cheap investment in yourself!

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Thank you Costicina! you're really nice!  :) And I'm sure Costanza thinks you're the best mum! :) I mean sometimes me and my mum argue and I'm like  ::) but really I think she's the best mum in the world!  :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert