Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Piano improvisation  (Read 1940 times)

Offline pianojohnw

• PS Silver Member
Piano improvisation
on: April 22, 2012, 01:02:03 AM
heres a piano improv I did, guna probably use some ideas from this improv for a song heres the link to the video

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano improvisation
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:09:24 AM
Excellent improv, I enjoyed it. You play with a lot of passion. What inspires you to play? *edit* BTW, welcome to the improv room.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano improvisation
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:10:51 AM
John, you know what I think of your music. It overwhelms me. Your sounds bring tears to the eyes of an old man. I can see past all the technical aspects and come under the spell of the real underlying musicianship, the fire and the passion. I'm a bit different to musically educated players on forums, you understand. I'm truly an oddball like you, and you remind me so much of what I was forty-five years ago.

All right, please just be reassured of that, and let us now proceed. What are you going to do with it, this tremendous drive of yours to create ? You owe it to yourself to expand your playing vocabulary, broaden your knowledge, widen your listening, improve your physical technique, learn to read and, more importantly, write musical notation, get out and meet minds of similar bent.

At the very least, get hold of as many recordings of great music, old and modern, classical and jazz, as you can and steep yourself in their sounds. Listen, think, learn, take it all in, remember, see what those people were really getting at in terms of what you can do at the instrument. The old masters were only human beings you know, not unapproachable gods. Don't be afraid of doing this, or of what musicians might think, and don't develop biases against any sort of music. Keep your mind open.

As my old teacher, Llewelyn Jones, the New Zealand composer would have said about it (and how he would have loved your playing !) you have a touch of the real stuff. Now get to work, hard work ! Correct that left hand, else it will give you trouble later in life. Develop new physical configurations at the keyboard aside from melody and arpeggios. The way you do it is beautiful and no mistake, but what wonders you might produce with an expanded physical vocabulary.

We're all friends here on this forum John. You have enormous potential; now's the time for the discipline.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert