Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What should I do?  (Read 2159 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
What should I do?
on: September 30, 2004, 11:05:10 PM
I have been renting a 5'5" Nordiska model 165 (I never heard of this brand before I rented this) for the past several months.  I needed a decent grand piano of some kind to practice on as well as teach, and it is indeed decent.  It would cost about $7,500 US dollars to purchase.

Here's the thing, my rental contract is up this month, and thus far everything I have paid in rent has gone toward the purchase of it or another from the store (about $500).  BUT, this is by no means my dream piano.  It would make do for a while though (several years), I enjoy practicing on it, and it makes a good impression on the students (at this point).

But, I don't know much about Nordiska and I kind of don't think I will find what I am looking for in this price range.  I also don't have too much time to drag my feet.   I have been sort of looking around for a few years now, but have never really run across something that I just couldn't pass up.

Does anybody know about Nordiska?

Should I just settle?

Any thoughts are appreciated,
m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline redhead

• PS Silver Member
Re: What should I do?
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 06:17:26 PM
My 2 cents.  7500 bucks is a lot to just "settle".  Personally, I'd think hard about the 500.  If it were me, I'd be willing to walk away from 500 bucks to find a piano in the 7k range that I really liked without time pressures.  

Also, I'd recommend checking out Larry Fine's The Piano Book, as well as post at www.pianoworld.com.  They have a much livlier forum for piano buying.

Good luck.
brian

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 06:58:27 PM
Thanks for the good advice  ;D

I do feel willing to walk away from the 500 and made that clear yesterday when I talked with the dude.  I can't stand trying to make decisions about things that will never be exactly what I want!

I will check out the site you gave me (I already have the book, but havn't read it, but I will).

Thanks Brian,
m1469
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 11:54:17 PM
Nordiska - I plunked a few notes on their uprights before, but I wasn't seriously trying them out, so I cannot say I have any first-hand experience with them.

That said, from what I've gathred to date, Nordiska seems to be considered one of the most respectable pianos to come out of China today. It's built by the DongBei piano factory. Lots of folks seem to think that DongBei is China's best piano manufacturer at the moment. DongBei also makes pianos branded with such names as "Story and Clark" and "Hallet Davis."

For $7500, you really don't have much choice besides Chinese made pianos -- if you want to stick to buying "new" and buying 5'5" or larger. And a Nordiska may already represent the best in that size/price range.

You other options to buy *new* would be a smaller Korean or Indonesian made pianos (e.g., Young Chang/Pramberger and Samick/Knabe from Korea, Yamaha's 4'11" GB1 from Indonesia).

Another option is to look for used pianos -- may be an old Baldwin grand, or used Japanese-made Yamaha or Kawai grand.

Or, increase your budget! :P

Go out and play more pianos, compare them all. If it turns out the Nordiska is actually the best for what you can afford to spend -- keep it. Else, well, buy something else.

Good luck. :)

Offline classicarts

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 01:25:42 AM
Nordiska - I plunked a few notes on their uprights before, but I wasn't seriously trying them out, so I cannot say I have any first-hand experience with them.

That said, from what I've gathred to date, Nordiska seems to be considered one of the most respectable pianos to come out of China today. It's built by the DongBei piano factory. Lots of folks seem to think that DongBei is China's best piano manufacturer at the moment. DongBei also makes pianos branded with such names as "Story and Clark" and "Hallet Davis."

For $7500, you really don't have much choice besides Chinese made pianos -- if you want to stick to buying "new" and buying 5'5" or larger. And a Nordiska may already represent the best in that size/price range.

You other options to buy *new* would be a smaller Korean or Indonesian made pianos (e.g., Young Chang/Pramberger and Samick/Knabe from Korea, Yamaha's 4'11" GB1 from Indonesia).

Another option is to look for used pianos -- may be an old Baldwin grand, or used Japanese-made Yamaha or Kawai grand.

Or, increase your budget! :P

Go out and play more pianos, compare them all. If it turns out the Nordiska is actually the best for what you can afford to spend -- keep it. Else, well, buy something else.

Good luck. :)

NOW, THAT'S A SOLID AND HONEST ADVICE!! :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert