Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Recording Music in your own home.  (Read 4947 times)

Offline chopinlover23

• PS Silver Member
Recording Music in your own home.
on: June 15, 2012, 10:32:01 AM
Hi there everyone, I really need help. I wanted to make a few recordings of my compositions but I dont know what equipment to use. I have an upright piano, some speakers and a PC but I dont know if this is sufficient enough. What other equipment should I use for recording other than what I have? (i.e. software) I could buy a Clavinova or any other digital piano that can record while I play... but I dont have the money for it. Please keep in mind that I am going to record in my home. If you could suggest something... that would be really helpful. Thank You

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Re: Recording Music in your own home.
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 03:03:38 PM
If your PC has a built in microphone then you can use the software on your computer. Beyond that there are several threads on this board with extensive discussions about this very topic.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 03:33:42 PM
It depends on what the purpose of the recording is.  If it is so that you can hear your playing -- and there is no better way to find all the problems -- then the microphone that is built into your computer, if it exists, or any one of the really cheap add-on microphones will do just fine.  So, for that matter, will the recording software which comes with most computers.

However, if the purpose is so that other can hear and appreciate your playing and your instrument, then you will need to have a really good studio microphone or two, and stands for them; piano is one of the hardest instruments of all to record.  Further, your built in software just won't do; while it can make so so .mp3 files, the compression used is pretty poor with regards to fidelity.  Better software is available.  Neither the microphones nor the software is exactly inexpensive, however.

So -- it really depends on what you want to do with the recording.
Ian

Offline jimbo320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 02:25:21 PM
As Oxy60 was saying about simply using your computer is how i record. A free software you can download is called Audacity. Using this simple method should bring you satisfactory results...
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Music is art from the heart. Let it fly\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"...

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 05:18:20 PM
Unless you want to do complex multitracking or other fancy editing, Audacity is more than enough for your needs. 
https://audacity.sourceforge.net

If you want a taste of more features check out Ardour.  Unfortunately it is only Linux and Mac.
https://ardour.org

Save your files as WAV or loseless compression such as FLAC if you want to preserve the details or do future edits.  MP3 is a lossy format, that means every time you save the file data is discarded and is not recoverable at a later time.  Use mp3's for posting your stuff online, and keep a wav copy for yourself. 

Start with your computer mic and see how that goes. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert