Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: what rhythm is this?  (Read 2820 times)

Offline speedcuber

• PS Silver Member
what rhythm is this?
on: June 19, 2012, 10:21:07 PM
go to 0:36 here:

i am a big fan of identifying polyrhythms and other crazy stuff but this is sort of an unsolvable riddle to me. i already asked a friend who is a drummer and has great knowledge of crazy rhythms and since he neither recognised anything so i thought i would ask this forum although its not a piano-related question. (sry for that)

a good hint could be the flute at 1:26 because its notes are all of the same length.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: what rhythm is this?
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:39:23 AM
Worked it out to the following:

3333 222222 33 | 33 222222

Alternately the groupings can be summarized: subdivision_group(number_of_iterations)
3(4), 2(6), 3(2) | 3(2), 2(6)

I would interpret the flute at 1:26 as playing a tuplet 2 over 3. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert