Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: I'm crazily deeply madly in love with Valentina Lisitsa  (Read 48243 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member

Skip to 18:00

And then there's this!

Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline chadbrochill17

• PS Silver Member
Re: I'm in love with Valentina Lisitsa
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:16:40 PM
Yep. I spent the whole 2 hours watching that concert during work yesterday. Absolutely worth it in every regard.
I began watching her videos last year and she is by far my favorite pianist.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 10:21:38 PM

Skip to 18:00
Have you by chance mentioned your affection for her to her husband?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 07:08:51 PM
Have you by chance mentioned your affection for her to her husband?

Best,

Alistair

Haha lol

Offline gitaristica

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 04:48:12 PM
I found her La Campanella very interesting. I always loved the original, but thought that Liszt's version of the piece was very ugly. Untill I listened to her. I'm not a pianist, so I can't say what is different. But when she plays it, it sounds more fluent and it is still staccato. It is not "chopping beefstake". Maybe what I say doesn't make any sense, but that's how it sounds to me.
"Among God's creatures two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes, in order not to be separated from man."~Andres Segovia

Offline kclee6337

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 07:23:15 PM
what is the first piece she plays??? i could hardly understand her, watching her videos on youtube for a while now I've never heard her talk, I had imagined less of an accent.

never mind found it.
liszt hungarian rhapsody no. 12

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:35:44 PM
Ho can anyone NOT love Valentina?
When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 03:14:21 PM
Presuming that, by "ho", you mean "how", my own answer is quite easily, since I have never met her. Simples.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ancientsolar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 04:49:56 PM
She wished me luck for my exam, wasnt expecting her to respond to my youtube comment, but it meant alot :)  ~ I have found her very motivating, ~ somehow I can feel a Horowitz style in her playing and concert structure, ~ she plays what she likes, and what her audience likes, ~ no particular limitations.

another inspirational thing is how shes achieved her fame and the connection with her fans is immense!

1 piece I¬d like to see her play that Horowitz lit me up with is

Offline chadbrochill17

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 05:06:41 PM
Did anyone else find the clapping at the start of La Campanella extremely rude? I face-palmed with her when I saw it and I find it annoying when I listen to her CD as the clapping is still there.
I mentioned this on her YouTube video and she said she actually didn't mind it. She is so nice.

Offline philb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 05:11:05 PM

I don't. No mean to start a war, but I have yet to find a recording of hers which has moved me in any way. Her technical facility is definitely impressive (maybe to some), but there's a certain quality of her playing that I can't acquire a taste for.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 05:21:05 PM
I don't. No mean to start a war, but I have yet to find a recording of hers which has moved me in any way. Her technical facility is definitely impressive (maybe to some), but there's a certain quality of her playing that I can't acquire a taste for.

I think she does a pretty good Rachmaninoff 1st sonata.  The ONLY one that I like.  There's two of them.  One at a concert and one that she recorded with better quality and accuracy.  So you'll have to decide which one you like better.

Offline ancientsolar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 05:25:29 PM
Did anyone else find the clapping at the start of La Campanella extremely rude? I face-palmed with her when I saw it and I find it annoying when I listen to her CD as the clapping is still there.
I mentioned this on her YouTube video and she said she actually didn't mind it. She is so nice.

If you notice people were randomly clapping throughtout the performance, ~ she didnt get up for some of them and made a false smile.. lol

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 03:53:11 PM

Many members of her audience are not the typical classical music lovers.  The reason she is so popular is that she can draw people who have probably only gone to pop or rock concerts before; for them it's perfectly ok to clap at the start of a performance.
Beethoven - Sonata in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 12
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu, Nocturn in C sharp minor, Op post
Brahms - Op 118, Nos 2 & 3

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 03:53:44 PM
Is she your first love? :D

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 05:55:13 PM
Is she your first love? :D

I thought that I knew love before this, but this is my true, TRUE first love!  

I love her just as much as I love Rachmaninoff!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline black_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 06:43:39 PM

That means that you love Rachmaninov for no clear reason

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 02:23:01 AM
That means that you love Rachmaninov for no clear reason

How?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 03:12:58 AM

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

You may need this, specially chilled:

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 03:47:33 AM
I used to have this issue with Diana Krall.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 03:57:15 AM
I used to have this issue with Diana Krall.

No wonder Melbourne needed that water desalination thingie.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 11:21:08 PM
No wonder Melbourne needed that water desalination thingie.
Perhaps, except I lived in WA at that time.

Offline black_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 10:38:07 PM
How?
I mean Rachmaninov is much much better than Valentina Lisitsa.

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 10:42:41 PM

I'm not homosexual, but I could tell Rachmaninov was quite a handsome man.  I'm heterosexual and have seen female pianists more attractive than Listsa.

Offline chadbrochill17

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 12:03:06 AM
I'm not homosexual, but I could tell Rachmaninov was quite a handsome man.  I'm heterosexual and have seen female pianists more attractive than Listsa.

Agreed. However she is still anything but unattractive. For me her personality increases her attractiveness because she is incredibly nice and humble. And she's amazing at piano. That's always a plus.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 05:10:22 PM

I actually hated listening to Rachmaninoff play his own music.  I thought he was awful at playing his own works but good at playing everyone elses.

Offline philb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 08:43:29 PM
I actually hated listening to Rachmaninoff play his own music.  I thought he was awful at playing his own works but good at playing everyone elses.
::)

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 08:55:57 PM

Just because a composer wrote a piece of music does not necessarily mean that he can play it.  Balakirev was allegedly unable to play Islamey.  Tchaikovsky was not known as a great pianist and were probably unable to play his own concerti.  I'm not sure if the same would be true for Rachmaninoff playing his own music though.

Offline chadbrochill17

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 09:22:59 PM
Rachmaninoff playing his own music is quite spellbouding actually. And Valentina based her interpretations of his music off of his recordings, especially his concerti. I think his version of his first is extraordinary.

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 09:55:34 PM
There was less rubato or Hollywood-type sentimentality in Rachmaninoff's playing.  Here's what Stephen Kovacevich has to say about this, in the context of Schubert's Impromptu in G Flat Major.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 10:51:37 PM
Rachmaninoff playing his own music is quite spellbouding actually. And Valentina based her interpretations of his music off of his recordings, especially his concerti. I think his version of his first is extraordinary.

Yeah, I read in an interview that she based her Rach 3 off of Rachmaninoff himself.

But maybe I don't like him because the quality of when he plays his own concerti sucks.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 01:14:08 AM
*Bob wonders why she's talking so much, and has no idea what she's talking about....*

That could be taken the wrong way.    If I were in the audience I'd be thinking, "Just shut up and play already."  I started at 18:00 and five minutes later she's still talking....
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline chadbrochill17

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: July 16, 2012, 08:56:00 PM
*Bob wonders why she's talking so much, and has no idea what she's talking about....*

That could be taken the wrong way.    If I were in the audience I'd be thinking, "Just shut up and play already."  I started at 18:00 and five minutes later she's still talking....

It's her debut really. I found her story interesting and love her personality. Even if I didn't I would forgive her for her almost 3 hour performance.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: July 16, 2012, 10:55:41 PM
I find Valentina to be an amazing pianist and her story to be even more amazing. Anyone can say what they want ( no performer has or had a 100% following), but you got to admit to go from 2007 and a Youtube video to Carnegie Hall, on to Royal Albert and sign on with Decca by 2012 is just something else. Don't lose your head in the process, play a huge concert like this and have a 50,000,000 member following is just a tad above average.

If that happened to me my intro would be longer than the 5 minutes someone complained about !
David
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 08:47:22 AM
I find Valentina to be an amazing pianist and her story to be even more amazing. Anyone can say what they want ( no performer has or had a 100% following), but you got to admit to go from 2007 and a Youtube video to Carnegie Hall, on to Royal Albert and sign on with Decca by 2012 is just something else. Don't lose your head in the process, play a huge concert like this and have a 50,000,000 member following is just a tad above average.

What you will not now read from her official promotional material is that this CD is far from being her first CD with a major record label.  Apart from a couple of discs with Naxos, does anyone know she has actually recorded a disc with Deutsche Grammophon?  One wonders if she would have kept silent about the DG disc if she had actually been signed on by DG instead of Decca.  The morale of the story seems to be that this fairy tale is not without the usual marketing polish.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 08:44:14 AM
What you will not now read from her official promotional material is that this CD is far from being her first CD with a major record label.  Apart from a couple of discs with Naxos, does anyone know she has actually recorded a disc with Deutsche Grammophon?  One wonders if she would have kept silent about the DG disc if she had actually been signed on by DG instead of Decca.  The morale of the story seems to be that this fairy tale is not without the usual marketing polish.

Yes I knew she did other recordings, I did not know who with. I saw an interview a few months ago about people saying it would be good to promote her, that her music should be promoted. I don't think anyone thinks of her success story thus far as a fairy tale. She speaks herself of the long time period of not much happening with her musical career goals but also the long time that it took to put the Royal Albert performance together. And I took that as not just musically but organizing.

I think the moral of the story is stick to your goals.
David
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 01:07:05 PM
https://www.pianostreet.com/blog/articles/social-media-authenticity-and-how-not-to-play-fur-elise-5132/

Still?  :-\

That made me a little angry too...music is all about paying attention to even the tiniest details, and yet she missed a rather huge one...

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 03:18:13 PM
That made me a little angry too...music is all about paying attention to even the tiniest details, and yet she missed a rather huge one...
The accompanying blurb asks

"Does Lisitsa play from a hitherto unknown manuscript, with a time signature change in that bar, or are the missing notes part of a PR trick or ironic joke? Did she learn the piece from [one Ozie Cargile] or any other of the hordes of incorrect YouTube "tutorials"? Perhaps more likely, we are listening to the result of a misreading from childhood left unaddressed".

Well, if the last of these is the case (and each of the remainder seem at least as unlikely as each of the others as to be unworthy of serious consideration), then she'd be in the good company of Shura Cherkassky, no less, who admitted in an interview quite late in life that, when preparing Beethoven's Op. 101 sonata for performance that season, he discovered for the first time that he'd been misreading something ever since he'd first set fingers on the piece at least 60 years earlier...

The blurb continues

"As a matter of fact, Lisitsa has had a performance of Für Elise up on YouTube since 2009 (also skipping that beat), attracting a whopping number of 2.7 million views and receiving over 3,300 YT-comments. Considering her presence on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, one would have wished that at least somebody of her fans could have helpfully pointed her mistake out, so that she could play the piece correctly on her Decca debut.

This may say more about the nature and substance of social media than about anything else".

Or maybe it just tells people that all of those listeners must, like some people here, be "in love with her" and so would not have been so discourteous and ungallant as to mention it.

It goes on

"But there are also several professional reviews of the new album out there already, talking among other things about “admirable lightness of touch and appreciation of rhythmic flow to her Für Elise”. Nobody mentions that the bar 14 reading is by far the most unique[sic - a thing is either unique or it isn't; "uniqueness" is not a comparative] feature of this recording. What does that mean? Does[sic] music journalists take the time to really listen to [or to split their infinitives over?] the albums they review? Or is it a "The Emperor’s New Clothes" syndrome?"

I neither know nor care, frankly, but I daresay that there are a few here who'd rather Ms Lisitsa dispensed with clothes altogether, be they the Emperor's or anyone else's and be they new or old, but that's another matter altogether.

It goes on

"Have we already heard so many incorrect versions that we are all immune? Or is this passage in its correct form such a tremendous metric somersault of Beethovenian wizardry that nobody is supposed to know where the downbeats are anyway?"

Mon Dieu! What kind of question is that? We're not talking Elliott Carter's metric modulation processes or Brian Ferneyhough's nested tuplets here, are we?...

The blurb then tells us all

"How to get it right"

Not content with that, however, it goes on to inform us that

"On a side note[it doesn't tell us which side or which note], in one of his several versions[,] Richard Clayderman skips the entire bar 14! This seems however like a deliberate artistic decision to get the structure to fit his re-arrangement of the time signature in the whole piece from 3/8 into 12/16".
Preferring as I do not to be drawn into the question of whether or to what extent M. Pagès might be capable of "artistic decisions", it seems to me more like a good idea in the making but which didn't quite see itself to the full fruition that it arguably might have done had he cut the entire piece...

In conclusion, the writer opines that

"Since listening to recordings do have impact on the learning process, not least for less experienced players, Clayderman’s 1.1 million and Lisitsa’s 2.6 million Für Elise views on YouTube (not to mention all the incorrect "tutorials") may indeed inspire many to play piano but can also cause confusion".

I'd question the extent if any to which the former is likely but the latter is such a statement of the b*e*d**g obvious that it hardly needs saying.

If only Richard Clayderman were in love with Valentina Lisitsa, we could perhaps all move on and leave them both to Dis-Ere one another and make whoopee with their missing semiquavers...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 12:55:46 PM
what's the deal. the recital is gone! i should have downloaded the whole thing when i had the chance!

oh well. at least excerpts are making their way out. maybe she's editing the thing and piecingit out bit by bit?

so glad she put this

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: August 02, 2012, 04:58:09 AM
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Yes!!!  Found it!!!

Prokofiev piano 2 cadenza by none other than Valentina Lisitsa!

Except...

Ah, you'll find out.

Offline chadbrochill17

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: August 02, 2012, 05:32:24 PM
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Yes!!!  Found it!!!

Except...

Ah, you'll find out.

Yeah I sat there dumbfounded when I found this

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: August 04, 2012, 07:47:48 PM
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Yes!!!  Found it!!!

Except...

Ah, you'll find out.

She plays it very well until about 5 minutes in. Then she's playing way too fast. Not taking any time where it's needed.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 04:10:26 AM
She plays it very well until about 5 minutes in. Then she's playing way too fast. Not taking any time where it's needed.

Well this is for a rock band, not for an orchestra.  If it was an orchestra, it would be playing so fast.

But her being affiliated with different genres of music deepens my love for her even more!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 04:30:45 AM
Well this is for a rock band, not for an orchestra.  If it was an orchestra, it would be playing so fast.

But her being affiliated with different genres of music deepens my love for her even more!

I take it she hasn't managed to get that restraining order served yet.  :P

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 02:36:41 PM
Maybe that's because she's also been seeking a retraining order...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 10:46:08 PM

Irrespective of whether or not she has, I would still be her number one fan!

And besides, since I'll probably never meet her anyways, her filing a restraining order on me would be awesome!  I get a piece of paper signed by Valentina Lisitsa!  :D :D :D

Hahahahhahahha lol

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Re: I'm deeply in love with Valentina Lisitsa
Reply #47 on: August 09, 2012, 02:54:36 AM
Not gonna lie, her etude videos, although not all emotionally satisfying-were really sexy.
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 05:47:04 AM
Irrespective of whether or not she has, I would still be her number one fan!

And besides, since I'll probably never meet her anyways, her filing a restraining order on me would be awesome!  I get a piece of paper signed by Valentina Lisitsa!  :D :D :D
Maybe you should get out more (thought perhaps not to a Lisitsa concert)...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: I'm deeply in love with Valentina Lisitsa
Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 05:58:05 AM
maybe you can book her for your next birthday party..

Tanja Dorn
General Management   tdorn@imgartists.com
+49 511 437 8134/+ 1 212 994 3540

Linda Petríková
Managerial Associate   lpetrikova@imgartists.com
+1 212 994 3512

Some additional research suggests that the appearance fee for a private function will be a MINIMUM 15,000 USD, plus travel and accommodation expenses, as per delafont.com - they aren't artist specific with pricing though, so could be much higher.. 

lucky you're in america, otherwise the minimum is $50K
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert