Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Edition Peters?  (Read 7266 times)

Offline ihck

• PS Silver Member
Edition Peters?
on: June 24, 2012, 03:51:44 AM
Hello,

I was going to purchase both volumes of Debussy's Preludes, and saw that both Henle and Edition Peters offered an urtext edition. I am already closely familiar with Henle, and have purchased a few of their books in the past. However, the Edition Peters books were significantly cheaper. Does this publisher release reliable urtext editions? Are the books made to last?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Re: Edition Peters?
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 12:45:58 PM
i think you'd probably be ok on sourcing, usually the later works are not as problematic as say very early ones (i.e. bach, mozart, etc.).

i just like henle more for their layout, smart page breaks/page turns, paper quality, print type and setting (i.e. large margis, dark defined , etc). i think all these things add up to quality scores meant to last, i mean care for them and they are usually (if a larger volume vs single short works) a 'buy it once for life' deal, so int he long run i think thye are worth the extra cost.

if you're concerned with accuracy, etc look for durand, i believe they were the original publishers https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Preludes-Books-1-and-2/5444007.

ed peters is prolly pretty good, and if it's all you can afford, i'd also consider the dover sets. i have those and generally they are extremely well made adn accurate (i.e. sewn lay flat bindings, etc). i mean 10 dollars for both sets and again this is a very good inexpensive score, it is the one i used with my music school college piano professor and he never had any issues with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Preludes-Books-Dover-Music/dp/0486259706

stay away from kalmus at all costs (unless it is all you can find. i do not have a single kalmus score, i.e. those white cover ones, that i have not had to 'surgically' repair after only a few short months with lots of packing tape etc. to keep pages from falling out all over the place, i mean i literally almost have to re-bind the entire thing.).

Offline ihck

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:49:29 AM
i think you'd probably be ok on sourcing, usually the later works are not as problematic as say very early ones (i.e. bach, mozart, etc.).

i just like henle more for their layout, smart page breaks/page turns, paper quality, print type and setting (i.e. large margis, dark defined , etc). i think all these things add up to quality scores meant to last, i mean care for them and they are usually (if a larger volume vs single short works) a 'buy it once for life' deal, so int he long run i think thye are worth the extra cost.

if you're concerned with accuracy, etc look for durand, i believe they were the original publishers https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Preludes-Books-1-and-2/5444007.

ed peters is prolly pretty good, and if it's all you can afford, i'd also consider the dover sets. i have those and generally they are extremely well made adn accurate (i.e. sewn lay flat bindings, etc). i mean 10 dollars for both sets and again this is a very good inexpensive score, it is the one i used with my music school college piano professor and he never had any issues with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Preludes-Books-Dover-Music/dp/0486259706

stay away from kalmus at all costs (unless it is all you can find. i do not have a single kalmus score, i.e. those white cover ones, that i have not had to 'surgically' repair after only a few short months with lots of packing tape etc. to keep pages from falling out all over the place, i mean i literally almost have to re-bind the entire thing.).

Thank you for your insight. I'm now considering Durand, due to their authenticity (and relatively good price, atleast compared to Henle.)

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 10:32:21 AM
Thank you for your insight. I'm now considering Durand, due to their authenticity (and relatively good price, atleast compared to Henle.)

sounds like a winner. also their description put the actual score quality (visually, paper quality, binding type, etc) on par w Henle as well.

also, for something this nice, i'd consider spending the extra few dollars (i.e. over the internet or music shop in person) and getting a set of plastic urtext protectors, i use these for all my scores i keep inmy bag that i actively work on

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Clear-Vinyl-Cover-The-Original-Urtext-Protector/17633918

you might email customer service for measurements to ensure they will fit the Durand though (should, i have only found thme to be a bit larger than needed for my non henle scores , never too small , but better safe, besides at 3.50 it's cheap insurance and usually you will find they have free shipping on larger orders over 25 USD in addition to 10% the first order and no sales tax so its a win win)

Offline ihck

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 05:19:42 PM
also, for something this nice, i'd consider spending the extra few dollars (i.e. over the internet or music shop in person) and getting a set of plastic urtext protectors, i use these for all my scores i keep inmy bag that i actively work on

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Clear-Vinyl-Cover-The-Original-Urtext-Protector/17633918

Thank you! I'm about to order these for my Henle WTC. I've always been looking for something like this......
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert