Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Best Piano You've Performed On  (Read 7917 times)

Offline ihck

• PS Silver Member
Best Piano You've Performed On
on: June 29, 2012, 12:12:40 AM
For me, it was the Fazioli f308. An unforgettable experience.........

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best Piano You've Performed On
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:31:19 AM
I played Chopin's Marche Funèbre on a Bösendorfer grand (not sure what model) at a dealer site.

I felt unworthy. I'm better suited to my mediocre Yamaha upright. Doh.

Offline newkidintown

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 05:52:40 AM
In technical definition of the word "perform", I actually got play the intro to "Levon" and "Come Sail Away" on the first Chickering ever made with 88 keys without even knowing the piano's significance until later. Sure, it looked weird; I just thought that was how they made pianos back whenever it was that it was made, haha.

Aside from that, I haven't played many really nice pianos in formal performance; they're all mainly school pianos in desperate need of maintenance.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 04:28:05 AM
Some extra old, extra dusty, extra out of tune, extra abused Steinway at a church.

But then again I played a recital at some guys house and I don't remember what kind of piano it was.  Bit I remember it was reallllly good!!!

But if we're talking about just playing, then either my piano teachers Steinway D, or a really nice Fazioli after a concert.  I only played a few measures of a Rachmaninoff prelude but the pedal was SOOOSOSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D ;D ;D :D
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:20:28 PM
I love my 1941 Steinway console, purchased 2009 and tuned by me 7 times.   Such a bright tone, and it has holes in the front so the sound projects at the player, not some mythical audience. 
Before that, about 1965 I played on a Baldwin acrosonic studio piano at a piano guild contest in an elementary school cafeteria.  Really loud and bright, I loved it.
I've played a few grands, but the touch is too heavy for my Native American inspired forearms.  I Tried a Baldwin grand at a church fellowship hall last spring, my arms were quite fatigued after 30 minutes of Scott Joplin rags.   

Offline willvenables

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:30:09 AM
Well, I'm not much of a performer, but I was so impressed at Frankfurt 2011 with the new Yamaha CF4 and CF6 that I insisted we altered our showroom (walls down etc,) to accommodate them here.

Everything about the best pianos in one. I can't believe it has taken this long for a piano maker to think of it! Darker than a Boesendorfer, cleaner than a Fazioli, stronger than a Steinway and of course, precise - consistent and expressive like a Yamaha. The range, colour and character is quite moving.

You can perform on the new CF4 and CF6 Yamaha Premium hand-crafted grands at our showroom from 30 July. We're thrilled to be the first showroom in the UK to have both models on display.
Piano Technician & Partner: Chris Venables Pianos

www.chrisvenables.co.uk
+44 (0)1425 476644

Award-Winning Piano Dealer, technician owned and run family business est. 1981.

Yamaha CF Pianos

Offline alanteew

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:41:22 PM
Years ago, at Tanglewood, all the students were "given" brand new Baldwins to play. But in one hall, under the stage riggings, was an old, neglected, dirty, Mason & Hamlin A, probably from the 1910s or 20s. It never went unused as students conspired and competed for access to it. That was my favorite, if not the best. The best was its restored sibling, which I played a few years back at Cunningham in Philly.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 11:19:09 PM
I've played on Steinways and Baldwins, both uprights and grand pianos, and my own Henry F Miller ( which I like a lot ). But the one piano that stands out to me is a particular Chickering grand, maybe a 6 ft version or so, that was in a golf club lounge I played a small performance at. It just fit, it was in great shape and the performance went well.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline hhopkinson1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 11:49:24 AM
For passing my grade eight, my father bought me a Steinway grand model m :) every day when I practice it fells like I am performing. For all of those who favour the Yamahas and kawai's, "the only way, is Steinway," !!!!!!!!!
HHopkinson,

Offline scherzo123

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 05:47:03 PM
Steinway Model D and Boston.
Bach Prelude and Fugue BWV848
Beethoven Piano Sonata Op.13
Chopin Etude Op.10 No.4
Chopin Scherzo Op.31
Mussorgsky "The Great Gate of Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhibition

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 12:14:09 AM
For passing my grade eight, my father bought me a Steinway grand model m :) every day when I practice it fells like I am performing. For all of those who favour the Yamahas and kawai's, "the only way, is Steinway," !!!!!!!!!

What?!??!!?!!!???!!????!!!

I wish your dad was my dad!

Offline plmulhol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 04:01:59 AM
A good old Canadian made Dominion Piano ... can't find that kind of sound any more

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 05:59:40 AM
The piano sitting in my living room; Alexander Herrman. It's a probably 100 year old upright.

I've played on the baby grand/grand yamaha of my teacher though. Sounds uber.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 12:25:22 AM
my own beloved, 115 year old Steinway A -- been in the family all these years.  I learned on it, and I've played it now for almost 70 years myself.  It's not just the tone and the action and all (which are still exactly what you would expect from a Steinway A), but it's the memories and stories which go with it as well.
Ian

Offline asuhayda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 07:24:48 PM
I just played on this Steinway B not too long ago.. by far the best piano I have every played.. and YES it's better than the D's I've played on (and those were awesome too)
~ if you want to know what I'm working on.. just ask me!

Offline alanteew

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 11:53:53 PM
Boy, do I have an update!  :)

Today, visiting Chicago, the very kind staff at PianoForte on Michigan allowed me to play a Fazioli F308. $196,000 and 10'2", this amazing instrument is in a class of its own.

I have played and adored perfectly reconstructed M&Hs, mint Bosendorfers, and world-class Steinways. Put together they couldn't hold a candle to this piano.

Offline asuhayda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 02:15:22 AM
Boy, do I have an update!  :)

Today, visiting Chicago, the very kind staff at PianoForte on Michigan allowed me to play a Fazioli F308. $196,000 and 10'2", this amazing instrument is in a class of its own.

I have played and adored perfectly reconstructed M&Hs, mint Bosendorfers, and world-class Steinways. Put together they couldn't hold a candle to this piano.

Hey! Shout out.. I'm from Chicago!   :)

Anyway,  the best piano I've ever played was a Steinway Model B in the showroom actually.. I was just in the Steinway gallery to look at a Boston and was lucky enough to play on it. It was a perfect piano.. never since have I played on such a quality instrument. Absolutely amazing.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 03:40:17 AM
Hey! Shout out.. I'm from Chicago!   :)

Chi town as well!  8)

Offline asuhayda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 03:55:37 AM
Chi town as well!  8)

I always new that you were cool

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 05:53:26 AM
I played on a Steinway right after I graduated college, at my friend's graduation party.  It was being held at his uncle's house. His cousin had also graduated at the same time, so it was a big family event.  The piano was played MAYBE a handful of times.  His uncle runs his own publicly traded financial firm, so his house was decorated for entertaining. The combined net worth of the individuals in the room was probably close to $2B.  I was all but hiding in the corner from intimidation. My friend brought up that I played, and his uncle insisted that I play.  I'm not sure I've ever been more terrified.  I played Grieg's Notturno. Musically, I played it fairly well although with PLENTY of mistakes.  Thankfully nobody knew any classical music and loved it.  All but got me my first job out of college.  My heart still races anytime I think about that, and it was 5 years ago.  Now I'm not going to sleep tonight...
I've been trying to give myself a healthy reminder: https://internetsarcasm.com/

Offline thesixthsensemusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 12:04:27 PM
I played a restored 1840's Pleyel fortepiano once, the sound was good but not nearly as powerful as a modern grand of course, but, seriously, I never played an instrument that was so comfortable to play on. It had a feather-light touch yet full control over the dynamics.

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 05:51:23 PM
I played a restored 1840's Pleyel fortepiano

I drooled.  No joke.
I've been trying to give myself a healthy reminder: https://internetsarcasm.com/

Offline erman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:30 PM
I absolutely agree on Fazioli pianos...We have two F308 model here in Istanbul and they are amazingly fantastic...

I would recommend them to anyone both amateur or professional.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 11:10:20 PM
I drooled.  No joke.
fo real (though to be fair, i'd be very happy with a new one.
)

it's also the type of piano chopin himself fancied

Offline cadenza14224

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 04:57:47 PM
Surprisingly not a steinway; whenever my teacher had recitals, it'd be on a steinway in a church; but it wasn't anything THAT special, aside from increased resonance.

I went to a wedding reception and had a chance to play on a Bosendorfer grand, now that was one hell of a piano; seriously anything that sounded like crap on my upright was suddenly fixed; extremely responsive.

played around on a mason & hamelin piano at a dealer once; it can produce this really nice glittery tone that I haven't heard in grands by yamaha or steinway. I would actually buy the mason if I had the chance!

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 12:37:38 PM
Surprisingly not a steinway; whenever my teacher had recitals, it'd be on a steinway in a church; but it wasn't anything THAT special, aside from increased resonance.

I went to a wedding reception and had a chance to play on a Bosendorfer grand, now that was one hell of a piano; seriously anything that sounded like crap on my upright was suddenly fixed; extremely responsive.

played around on a mason & hamelin piano at a dealer once; it can produce this really nice glittery tone that I haven't heard in grands by yamaha or steinway. I would actually buy the mason if I had the chance!
I'm not a pianist but, in my experience, there's just nothing that quite matches a fine condition modern Bösendorfer 290, although it pays to keep one's eyes and ears open for what might come along next.

Mason and Hamlin have produced some very fine instruments although I've not tried any recent ones (there are very few of them in Britain) - and it's Hamlin, by the way! Hamlin is one half of an American piano whereas Hamelin is one half of a Canadian pianist!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 09:45:45 PM
whereas Hamelin is one half of a Canadian pianist!

One third, surely, given the double barrel forename.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 11:09:54 PM
One third, surely, given the double barrel forename.
I was taking the forename as being one, hyphen included!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 11:38:54 AM
I played a 10 foot Fazioli f308 the other day.

After a couple notes I burst into tears.

Offline tchristec

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 12:42:53 PM
I don't know if this is the best one but it was definitely the most interesting piano I played on.  I was at the Kawaii Flagship store in Tokyo and they had this giant high end grand piano in the showroom.  It cost about maybe 40k USD I think.  Anyways it has great sound and all but the thing that was so crazy was that you can make it into an organ.  You just press a button and it starts sounding like a freakin organ with no change to the touch whatsoever.  I guess the way it works is a stopper is put in place to stop the hammers right before they hit the strings and a sensor picks up the speed and whatnot of the hammers.  It also had a bunch of other "instruments" included, and you could even play with headphones and no external sound, but it was still an acoustic grand piano  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline alanteew

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 05:11:12 AM
Are you sure it wasn't this one? Was the lid open?

https://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/CP_2010/cp_209.html

Offline tchristec

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 02:35:54 PM
Haha no it was definitely an acoustic.  The lid was open but it had all the strings, hammers, dampers and what not.  It was in the flagship store, which is huge and has a whole showroom 3rd floor just for grand pianos.  They also had this whacky plexiglass kinda clear grand.  It's like called the crystal grand or something funky like that.  The lid was heavy.

Next time I go perhaps I can take a picture and find out the model.  I go about once a month or so; I will be going again this month.

I am pretty sure it was one of these though.  The link is in Japanese but it explains how it is a piano that you can play anytime without disturbing others, as well as be able to enjoy other instrument sounds, or use as a normal grand.

https://www.kawai.co.jp/piano/grand/gp_vanish/

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 04:29:34 AM
I played on the same Fazioli again. 

I was in front of people so I managed to supress my tears.

Offline tdawe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:19 PM
There is a brand new Steinway concert grand at the Music department here, that is really really nice.

I most frequently play on Steinway Model Ds and Yamaha 5ft~ grands (not sure on the model), I can't say which I prefer, I like different things about them. I can't say I'm particularly "wow'd" by the Steinways, although they are a pleasure to play on.

I would LOVE to play on one of those Fazioli pianos!
Musicology student & amateur pianist
Currently focusing on:
Shostakovich Op.87, Chopin Op.37, Misc. Bartok

Offline the89thkey

Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 02:53:45 AM
The best pianos I've performed on are Steinway Ds...is there anything better?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 01:01:04 PM
Definitely Fazioli F308.  I played on one a week ago.  Alright, I was only accompanying opera singers, but the thrill of those bass notes.  I had a pianist friend in the audience, and he said didn't you sort of exaggerate with the bass?   Damn right, I said.  Who knows when I'll be able to play such a piano again?!

Offline tchristec

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 02:18:11 PM
Unfortunately the only pianos I come in contact with are Japanese pianos.  Not that I think Japanese pianos are bad.  In fact I just went again to the Kawai store and played one of their beautiful Shigeru Kawai edition grands.  It was crystal clear and made me feel like I was weaving a cloth of silver and gold thread or something lol. But I would love to one day play something like a Bosendorfer or Fazioli.  There is a dealer in Tokyo I found online that sells imported pianos and I have developed a very nice relationship with the owner due to our mutual passions.  He had a couple Pleyel uprights that I tried out and they were everything I every imagined a Pleyel to be.  I can definitely see why Chopin favored them.  I still dream about the lightness of the touch.  I don't know what it is about Pleyel but the piano I learned on as a child is terribly light and whenever I go back to my parents house it makes me crazy that there is no range of control possible with such light keys.  It feels very cheap.  But Pleyel is so different while still being feather-light  :)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 02:31:11 PM
I played a Fazioli for about 30 minutes in a piano store near my town, it was nice but I didn't feel that the uber price reflected its sound, they are pretty looking though and I'd like to play on one more. I have played on a Stuart and Sons (considered the Australian Steinway) at the Sydney music conservatory I feel they are slightly superior to Steinway although the price is incredible.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline the89thkey

Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 02:29:23 AM
I played a Fazioli for about 30 minutes in a piano store near my town, it was nice but I didn't feel that the uber price reflected its sound, they are pretty looking though and I'd like to play on one more. I have played on a Stuart and Sons (considered the Australian Steinway) at the Sydney music conservatory I feel they are slightly superior to Steinway although the price is incredible.
Nonsense. There are good Steinway Ds available in the neighborhood of $120,000-$130,000. And they are the best piano in the world.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 02:35:18 AM
Nonsense. There are good Steinway Ds available in the neighborhood of $120,000-$130,000. And they are the best piano in the world.

Have you ever played on a Stuart & Sons?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline the89thkey

Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 02:40:01 AM
Have you ever played on a Stuart & Sons?
Nope. But I've heard them. And Steinway is better.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 03:27:40 AM

Offline the89thkey

Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 03:39:32 AM

this seems to just SLIGHTLY clutter the forum and intrude upon people trying to read the posts...would you mind removing it?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 03:50:26 AM
this seems to just SLIGHTLY clutter the forum and intrude upon people trying to read the posts...would you mind removing it?
dun. to be fair, it only seemed to post in my reply. i could read the other posts just fine. i could read my reply better than fine. but maybe it's my monitor/display.

Offline the89thkey

Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 03:54:12 AM
dun. to be fair, it only seemed to post in my reply. i could read the other posts just fine. i could read my reply better than fine. but maybe it's my monitor/display.
That's better...now change the original. :)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 04:29:51 AM
That's better...now change the original. :)

Don't ask for shrinkage if refusal is likely to offend.

Offline the89thkey

Reply #46 on: December 18, 2012, 04:59:36 AM

Don't ask for shrinkage if refusal is likely to offend.
Hmmm...this is getting a bit absurd.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 06:08:05 AM
Maybe you should read what I wrote a bit closer.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline withindale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 12:57:54 PM
Steinway D's by Fabbrini are better.

The best piano I've played is a Bosendorfer. Oscar Peterson thought they were the best pianos in the world.

I have a Schiedmayer upright. The man from Steinway told me the owners of Schiedmayer grands swear by them. Stanley Dance, the jazz writer, wrote this about Earl Hines in Chicago on 22 September 1977:

Hines, like Art Tatum, has an astonishing ability to make a poor piano sound good, but he is naturally happier on a good piano, and on a superb piano Ilke the Schiedmeyer he radiates euphoria of a most infectious kind. Since he was in the middie of a six-week engagement at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, it was a fairly logical idea for me to walk him a few blocks and confront him with the glittering instrument. He sat down and ran his fingers up and down the keyboard Then he grinned widely, lit his pipe, and asked for some coffee. Three hours later, an album-and-a-half had been completed.

Offline brendan765

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: January 06, 2013, 05:03:05 AM
Hahaha once upon a time I went to the Piano Retail store...Indy Piano Solutions in Indiana.

I was in for a treat while my cousin looks at pianos for a while.  rotated around 4 big show rooms played about 30 or so nice pianos I played some rags on until I came upon  an enourmous back room...and I came upon a Steinway Model D Concert Grand Piano that's sound board seemed to come to life as I played Rachmaninoffs Prelude Op 23 No 5 and was shocked by the shear power of what I could do with Chopins 2nd Scherzo and then the Bechstein up on the stage they had in the showroom it could produce the most beutiful tone and hold its notes sooo long the ties in waltz op 64 no 2 and the subtleness of Chopins Eflat Nocturne were amazing....

I was suprised I never got kicked out, I must be good? I always thought I could do better, but people keep telling me im good. Well that doesnt relax my practicing habits and composing, I spend 10 hours a day, probably 5 on school nights with my little grand piano beating the hell out of it, hoping my parents will by my a seperate building equipped with a concert hall and concert grand pianos.

I dream of having a piano like this, to me id put it ahead of what god says about posessions, well bechhstein and steinway are above god, no offense,   I have yet to try Bosendorfers imperial grand...I can only imagine the thundering, roaring power of those extra lower voices.
There is so much still to be created. 88 keys, you do the math. ∞
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert