Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Releasing an Album of Original Compositions  (Read 1181 times)

Offline chopinlover23

• PS Silver Member
Releasing an Album of Original Compositions
on: July 10, 2012, 01:59:26 PM
Hi, I'm an amateur pianist + composer, I've been composing my own music since I was about 13, I'm almost 15 now and I was dwelling on the thought of releasing an album of my original compositions so people could hear them. Few Questions?

1. I have a lot of compositions, so where do I start? Do I need a license of some sort (I live in the Philippines)
2. I was thinking, what if other people dont like it? My family loves all my compositions not because I'm part of the family but because they love the music I'm making, but for other people what if they dont like it?
3. Am I dreaming too big? Is it possible that I can do it?
4. How do I get a record label to sign me as an artist, I was thinking of sending demos to independent record labels, or I could make the CD and recordings and have a record company duplicate it then release it?

Please take the time to answer my queries. It would be a big help! =)

Offline ichky

• PS Silver Member
Re: Releasing an Album of Original Compositions
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:51:09 PM
Hi Chopinlove,

First of all I would like to say well done and that I'm proud of you. Being only 15 years old, it is a big achievement to have composed your own music already.
You have a lot of potential and time to still grow, and make your music better, so do not ever worry about people not liking your music.

Let's answer your questions:
1. I have a lot of compositions, so where do I start? Do I need a license of some sort (I live in the Philippines)

- First of all, make sure ALL your compositions are COPYRIGHTED. You can copyright your music online for a small fee. I use https://www.copyrighthouse.co.uk/
But I live in the UK, and I'm not sure if they can copyright your music. You should seek advise from a local solicitor in your country.
Every country has different laws.
As far as know, the moment you create a work, you own the rights to it, providing that you can prove it is your work.

2. I was thinking, what if other people dont like it? My family loves all my compositions not because I'm part of the family but because they love the music I'm making, but for other people what if they dont like it?

- Everyone has different tastes, not just in music, but in food, fashion, hobbies etc. You only need a small amount of people to appreciate your music, and then you will be successful. Best thing to do is to upload your compositions online, either on youtube, or have them on your own personal website. Allow people to listen to your music, before deciding whether to buy anything or not. Check out my website at www.ichkymusic.com, you will find that I have uploaded my own music up at my own website too, just purely for fans to listen to.

If even only 1% of the worlds population loves your music, you will be very famous and successful.  ;)

3. Am I dreaming too big? Is it possible that I can do it?

- If you aim for the Stars, you will at least hit the moon! It is always good to dream big! The problem with most people these days is that they stop dreaming, therefore, they even stop trying! Most people aim for the ceiling, and they are wondering why they hit the floor!!

You can do it! Dream Big!

4. How do I get a record label to sign me as an artist, I was thinking of sending demos to independent record labels, or I could make the CD and recordings and have a record company duplicate it then release it?

The key to this is: Fanbase. You must first grow a fanbase, either on youtube, facebook, or whatever. You must be able to show other people that you have people following your music, because companies will see them as "potential buyers" and customers. If you can show them that you have 1 million fans for example, they will sign you up simply because if they sell your album at $1 per person, they will immediately make $1 million.

I hope this helps, and should you have any more questions feel free to contact me  :)

Keep up the good work and Never Give Up!

Ichky

"Talent is not born, it is Created" - https://www.ichkymusic.com/

YouTube Channel - https://youtube.com/Ichky

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/IchkyMusic

Offline chopinlover23

• PS Silver Member
Re: Releasing an Album of Original Compositions
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:40:27 PM
ichky,

I wanted to thank you for answering my queries and I feel so energized and eager to start my recording project. Although I dont plan to release a full CD yet, my goal for now is to get  copyright for my compositions and record everything that I've composed so I have a full stock of recordings. With your words, I feel so inspired to compose more music this month. I'm really positive that I can do it. By the way I've listened to the music on your website and they are great! You've got a lot of talent.

Thanks again =)

Chopinlover23

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert