Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: left hand pain  (Read 5655 times)

Offline david456103

• PS Silver Member
left hand pain
on: July 18, 2012, 02:18:20 PM
while i was practicing piano yesterday, I felt absolutely no pains in either hand. Then, several hours later, my hands started to hurt badly to the point that I couldn't move them. After I went to sleep and woke up,my hand felt much better, but is still a bit sore. Did any of you experience this before? If so, how long did you have to wait before practicing piano again?

Offline david456103

• PS Silver Member
Re: left hand pain
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:19:29 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that ONLY my left hand felt pains.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 02:49:06 PM
I'd take at least today off. Then go easy the next day, even if you feel fine. If you're trying to play something well above your ability and are getting tense, that's probably the reason. Also, playing quickly or loudly with your hand stretched out is an easy way to get your hand to hurt. This is most likely the reason your left hand alone is hurting, since the left hand often has to stretch large chords. Playing for very long periods of time can also cause this. It's important to make sure your hand, arm, everything is completely relaxed when playing. If you're trying to play a difficult piece, don't force the tempo. Play it at a tempo that is comfortable and at which you can keep your hand perfectly relaxed. Speed will come as you play it more and it becomes easier.

Of course, I don't know if that's the case. I'm making quite a few assumptions. Maybe if you told a little more about what you were practicing, how long you were practicing, etc.

Offline david456103

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 03:11:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
Yesterday I was practicing Ballade in F minor by Chopin and Prokofiev's 7th sonata 3rd movement. The Ballade to me is very comfortable on the hands(well, except a few sections in the coda and elsewhere), so I don't think it's the problem. The Prokofiev, while I have to stretch and is not as comfortable as the ballade, doesn't make me tense up while I play. I practiced for about 4.5 hours yesterday.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert