Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: has anyone noticed...  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
has anyone noticed...
on: October 06, 2004, 09:22:50 AM
ok so i was listening to rach2 the other day, got to the 2nd movement, and was like hey this sounds familiar. and i've listened to this piece numerous times, including live, and have never noticed it. but it got to this part and  i was like OMG and then started singing 'all by myseeeeeeeeeeeeeelf, don't wanna be all by myseeeeeeelf anymore' dadada. and i worked out that that song (all by myself by whoever, you know the one bfrom bridget jones's diary) has ripped off rach2 in the lines at the beginning 'when i dial the telephone, nobody's home) except syncopated the rhythm a little! like the notes are excetly the same! anyway i thought that was bizarre and was wondering if any of you had noticed that? chances are you'll be like duh how could you not know that but hey i'm ignorant sometimes
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Re: has anyone noticed...
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 02:46:27 PM
You are quite right. It was Eric Carmen's first big hit in the 70's. And yes,  
"duh how could you not know that but hey you're ignorant sometimes" ;)

I must say, I was surprised too, when I realized that for the first time. This song as well as Barry Manilow's Chopin rendition nicely show that the old masters can be quite hip.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 02:10:37 AM
I dunno tash, im not hearing it..

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 06:01:12 AM
how can you not hear it! it's where the clarinet has the main melody and the piano's accompanying it, around the 1min 30 to 45 second mark. come on it's exaclty the same!
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 06:52:31 AM
yeah, I never saw Bridget Jones Diary so maybe we are talking about different songs.  For some reason, I keep imagining Celine Dion singing quote: "by myseeeeeeeeeeeeeelf, don't wanna be all by myseeeeeeelf anymore"
yeah, I think were on different subjects here..
donjuan

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 09:01:16 AM
My old music theory teacher told me about that.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert