Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Christmas solos  (Read 2243 times)

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Christmas solos
on: October 06, 2004, 11:06:01 AM
I'm looking for some challenging music for christmas.  I've searched but have only been able to find a couple of collections that are for advanced solos, and even then I'd consider them more of intermediate than advanced.  Does anyone know where I can find some good Christmas music?  The more difficult, the better, or I will have to arrange something myself.  Any help here would be appreciated.  Thanks! =)
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Christmas solos
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 08:10:39 PM
No problem.  I love Christmas music and think it should be played year 'round  ;).  

I grew up on some CD's including Winterlude and Piano Winterlude, basically modern, slightly jazz (they say jazz but it's not really, from the structure and ornamentation used) and can be somewhat difficult.  The Piano Winterlude has corresponding music in a book availabe here, and you can listen to samples.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000E9A9/103-6337376-4840645?v=glance

Listen to Jingle Bells for a very jazzy style version, and my favorites from the disc are The First Noel and Deck the Halls.
And I transcribed a one of the pieces from Winterlude (because a book is not available for that CD, unfortunately) if you're interested.

Have a look at Amy Grant Christmas as well - her CD is fantastic but I've never looked at the sheet music.
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Offline janice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 09:15:50 PM
Thanks for the "gentle reminder" to pull out my Christmas music!!  LOL

I have 2 books, but they aren't very challenging, but it was all I could find at the music store.  They have neat arrangements, and I have played several in church.  Keep in mind that these are not challenging, even though it is classified as late intermediate/early advanced

--- Jim Brickman--"The Gift"

---Jingle Jazz"  '17 Christmas Standards with a Touch of Cool'--arranged by Philip Keveren
published by Hal Leonard Corporation
website is www.halleonard.com  (I haven't been to the website, but I thought I would give it to you anyway).  It sounds like you would like this book this book better than the Brickman book, but both books have neat arrangements).

Hope this helps!  I, too, have a VERY hard time finding Christmas music!  grrrrrr

Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 06:22:25 AM
ACK!! CHRISTMAS MUSIC...NOOOOOOOO!!!!
rach on!

Offline thomas_williams

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 02:16:01 AM
ACK!! CHRISTMAS MUSIC...NOOOOOOOO!!!!

WHY NOT??

And yeah-- I need to start working on something good for Christmas too.  
It's GREAT to be a classical musician!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert