Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: beethoven sonata op.7 comparing with pathetique  (Read 7655 times)

Offline paris

• PS Silver Member
beethoven sonata op.7 comparing with pathetique
on: October 08, 2004, 07:21:01 PM
hey!

yesterday my teacher gave me this amazing sonata. i have done the pathetique, which was also nice, but overplayed to much. it really hard to be interesting with pathetique, because there are so many versions of it...
i looked on bernhard and h-moll rank list (from easiest to hardest sonata) , and i was quite suprised, because you put op.7 harder than pathetique. personally, i find pathetique much harder, because of those octaves on begining allegro (maybe because i have very big hand and big clumsy thumb), and all 1st movement is, tricky...don't know how to explain. :)

i was wondering-why some pieces easily become overplayed (like pathetique, minute waltz, moonlight sonata...) and the others, which are also beautiful don't?

i have feeling that is sonata op.7 rarely played, what do you think? have you played it? did you enjoy it playing?

a.m.d.
Critics! If one would be a critic, one should begin with self-criticism !
    -Franz Liszt

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: beethoven sonata op.7 comparing with pathetiqu
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 10:50:25 PM
hey!

yesterday my teacher gave me this amazing sonata. i have done the pathetique, which was also nice, but overplayed to much. it really hard to be interesting with pathetique, because there are so many versions of it...
i looked on bernhard and h-moll rank list (from easiest to hardest sonata) , and i was quite suprised, because you put op.7 harder than pathetique. personally, i find pathetique much harder, because of those octaves on begining allegro (maybe because i have very big hand and big clumsy thumb), and all 1st movement is, tricky...don't know how to explain. :)

i was wondering-why some pieces easily become overplayed (like pathetique, minute waltz, moonlight sonata...) and the others, which are also beautiful don't?

i have feeling that is sonata op.7 rarely played, what do you think? have you played it? did you enjoy it playing?

a.m.d.

I've played the op7, but not the op13. Actually, I should have said that as a disclaimor when I posted my "ranking"  that I haven't played them all.

Another caveat: difficulty can be subjective.

IMO, there are more technical problems in the first movement of the op7 than in the op13. Also, the last movement op op7 is much more difficult than the last movement of op13.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline pianiststrongbad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 03:53:31 AM
I played Op. 13 a few years ago.  I have been working on Op. 7 for the last few months.  I can say, that i agree, op. 7 is more difficult.  That is not to say the pathetique is easy by any means, I just feel once one can play the tremolo in the left hand comfortably, the rest comes together by itself.  In op. 7, In the opening movement, the one passage i can never seem to play well is that alberti pattern in the right hand.  I think my favourite movement of this sonata is the second.  In the closing movement, I find the very end pretty tough as well.  I enjoy Op. 7 more than Op. 13, possibly because I have heard soo many poor interpretations of op. 13.

Offline zemos

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 02:30:23 PM
i know no. 4, it is very nice! the unpopular sonatas are sometimes really hard. i'm playing now the op. 14 no. 1 (no. 9) and it's really hard, much problems with fingering...
Too bad schubert didn't write any piano concertos...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert