Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Could you please answer some questions about your career?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
My life coach is making me interview/question the people who have careers I might be interested in. I'd like to be a piano teacher, so I need your help.

Here are the questions:

0. Where do you live?
Are music/ piano teachers very common in your state/country?

1. What is the nature of the job?
What are your responsibilities?
What is the general working condition?

2. How long have you been in this field?
- in this particular job?
What interested you in this career?

3. What are the requirements in this career in terms of education?
- other preparations?

4. What mental skills do you need?
- physical skills?
- interpersonal skills?
What character traits are important?

5. What do you like best about your career?
What do you like least?

6. Do you need to work with many other people?
What about hazards or sources of stress?

7. What is the salary range in your area?
What is the typical number of work hours per week? Per month?

8. What are the benefits, or opportunities for promotion?
Is the field changing or expanding? In what way?

9. Any advice for someone considering this career?
Any related fields you would recommend considering?
Any other sources of information?

10. Was this questionnaire too long? THANK YOU SO MUCH for going this far!  :-*  :-*  :-*
I'm sinking like a stone in the sea,
I'm burning like a bridge for your body

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Re: Could you please answer some questions about your career?
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:14:56 PM
The questionnaire is too long, but I'll part of it anyway. 
I have being teaching piano for many years, however, since 2009,
most of my students quit due to the economy.  The excuses were
their Dad lost a job, lost interest, circumstances....and so forth.
I only have 2 students now, which is discouraging to say the least.
I'd like to acquire more students, but, I'm not pushing it at the moment.
I live in the United States and teach from my home.  I'd love to continue
to teach students that would be interested and willing to learn what I
can provide.  Anyhow, that's what my "career" is in a nutshell. 
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:28:20 PM
Thanks, go!  ;D I realize there are a lot of questions, those were given to me that way but you don't have to answer everything.

Oh, is it still that bad in the US?  :-\

Lately there's a boom here... In the school that I used to attend, there are 40+ students, while in our batch there were only 15! My current teacher is also planning to get a new building and expand his school. I'm considering apprenticing with him...
I'm sinking like a stone in the sea,
I'm burning like a bridge for your body

Offline asuhayda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 03:10:15 PM
0. Where do you live?  Chicago suburbs
Are music/ piano teachers very common in your state/country?  Very common

1. What is the nature of the job? Train students in music theory, piano technique and interpretation and get them interested and appreciative of music and the arts.

What are your responsibilities?  see above
What is the general working condition? casual/informal

2. How long have you been in this field?  11 years
- in this particular job?  I was a teacher at a music studio for 8 years and now teach privately (for the past 3).

What interested you in this career?  I didn't always want to teach.. I wanted to perform, but I started teaching somewhat accidentally and learned that I really liked it and was able to make a connection with students.

3. What are the requirements in this career in terms of education? sadly, none... However, that being said, I know people who have Master's degrees in music who are terrible musicaions and/or teachers.

- other preparations? you have to have a love and passion for music as well as an extreme level of patience.

4. What mental skills do you need?  problem solving skills as well as a good ear.
- physical skills?  I get up and move around a lot, but I don't think there are many physical skills required other than the ones necessary to play and teach students piano.

- interpersonal skills?   most students do not share the same level of passion for the piano as I.  This can be frustrating sometimes.

6. Do you need to work with many other people?  Yes, I work with students, parents other teachers, music store managers and associates, competition and festival coordinators, teacher's guild members and council members.

What about hazards or sources of stress?  Anytime you work with children, you have to watch yourself.  Watch your interactions and be careful about what's appropriate.  Other things are preparing students for recitals and competitions.. having worked in the corporate world as well, I can assure you, it's every bit as stressful as completing a work project on time.

7. What is the salary range in your area?  Competitive lessons in my area are between 20 to 35USD for a half an hour lesson.

What is the typical number of work hours per week? Per month?  30 hours teaching a week... endless hours practicing and preparing lesson plans.

8. What are the benefits, or opportunities for promotion? if you work on your own, you have to set up a lesson payment increase plan when the student signs up.  Something like, lessons increase 1 dollar a year.

Is the field changing or expanding? In what way? Not especially.  There are different theories and approaches to teaching piano, but I have yet to find one that is definitively better than another.

9. Any advice for someone considering this career?  Getting started is TOUGH!  Don't do it on your own.  You'll never get off the ground.  Appeal to teacher's guild or work for a music school or studio.  Let someone else find students for you.  Just like any career, be realistic about how much money you're going to make when starting... it's not going to be a lot.

Any related fields you would recommend considering? Music Education, go work for a Secondary school music program.. you'll make more money.  Teach piano on the side.

Any other sources of information?  Check out music Piano teaching guides, repertoire catalogues, etc..

10. Was this questionnaire too long? THANK YOU SO MUCH for going this far!  Haha.. YES!! But, I'm bored.  You're welcome.
~ if you want to know what I'm working on.. just ask me!

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 03:12:38 PM
Thanks, go!  ;D I realize there are a lot of questions, those were given to me that way but you don't have to answer everything.

Oh, is it still that bad in the US?  :-\

You're welcome, db!  :D 
Where I live I feel that learning a musical instrument isn't a priority.  Or that people cannot afford sending their children for piano lessons.  I don't know.  I know there are several piano teachers in the community, so there is a competition.  I don't do recitals, etc, and being a busy-body teacher.  I teach the real essence of music and make sure my students enjoy what they learn.  I don't know about the rest of the US....I feel that people are out of work and struggling to make ends meet, especially in the middle class(where I'm at). 
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert