Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Books every student needs  (Read 6949 times)

Offline gleeok

• PS Silver Member
Books every student needs
on: September 10, 2012, 10:35:32 PM
Hey there. I saw an ad here leading to this book: https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Interpretation-14th-19th-Century/dp/0193184192, I found the description very interesting, but the publication is pretty old (1975), does that matter too much ? Would you recommend it for a student?

Browsing around, I also came across this one: https://www.amazon.com/What-Every-Pianist-Needs-About/dp/1579992064/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y, which seems to be a complementation for developing techniques and avoiding bad habits as well as injuries.

I guess some times when studying piano we have to give a break to the clefs and lines and read some instructions, specially when you don't have a teacher, as you might have guessed I do that a lot here and all around the internet but since I don't mind devouring books, why not? I still have some savings hahaha.

Do you have any recommendations for a broad explanation on symbols and therms a student might not be aware of but will necessarily need in the future when diving deeper into the piano world?

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Books every student needs
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:04:08 AM
for terms you can get a music dictionary, or use the web..  piano street has one.. (see the link at the top of the page, between "piano forum" and "about")

ALSO..  to name a few (mostly technical texts)..  and without meaning to attribute more or less value to any of them, because they will contradict each other and be up to personal interpretation to some degree.

Seymour Fink -
Mastering Piano Technique

Gyorgy Sandor -
On piano playing - motion sound and expression

Alan Fraser -
The Craft of Piano
Honing the Pianistic Self Image
All Thumbs

Barbara Lister-Sink -
Freeing the caged bird

Thomas Mark - (as you mentioned)
What every pianist needs to know about the body

Otto Orttman -
The Physiological Mechanics of Piano Technique

William Newman
The Pianist's Problems

Abby Whiteside
On Piano Playing

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 03:25:59 AM
Chopin: Pianist and teacher and any biography book that discusses technique and method. This one is classic.

Effortless Mastery

Some French and German and Italian dictionaries

I have a Baker's dictionary of music, it is ok. Covers language, some audio/science stuff, history, and stuff for all kind's of music and instruments.

I have some theory books...I mostly stick to the good ol' harvard versions. "Puritan" music theory. LOL I have it just for laughs. 
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:30:04 AM
I have read quite a few books on piano technique, but mostly they just got me confused. I could not connect the explanations on the books with my own physical structure. Could be partly because even though my English is pretty decent, some of the technical explanations were a bit hard to understand. But I usually don't get the pictures either :)

I have Fink's book and it has some nice tips on how to play specific parts of pieces. I just didn't have the stamina to go through all the preparatory physical exercises...

William S.Newman: The Pianist's Problems
I enjoyed this book already mentioned in previous post a lot and it helped me understand many things. Not so much technical instruction but general discussion on things that one might find problematic.

In general I think I get more out of the books now that I have worked with a teacher than when I was beginning.

EDIT:
I also like to read about composers and music history. My absolutely favorite book is Kirkpatrick's 500 page study on Scarlatti. Was expensive but worth every penny :)

Offline musicmaker1701

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:23:29 PM
Can anyone suggest a great book for teaching adults or teens how to play by ear by using chords?  I insists that my students learn to play by note as well, but I am looking for a good system that will incorporate both.  I play by ear as well at an advanced level, and have been teaching my students through my hand-written notes, but would like to find something more "professional."  Thanks! --Bev 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert