Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: keyboards  (Read 1761 times)

Offline henrikhank

• PS Silver Member
keyboards
on: September 30, 2012, 12:09:33 PM
Why did you choose playing/learning keyboards instead of other instruments, eg. guitarr (or maybe you actually play it)? and what is your reason/purpose for playing keyboards, ie why do you do it?

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Re: keyboards
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 12:14:57 PM
You may be posting this to the wrong forum. Here we are generally piano players studying classical music to be played on acoustic pianos.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline henrikhank

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 01:02:10 PM
You may be posting this to the wrong forum. Here we are generally piano players studying classical music to be played on acoustic pianos.
???

Offline mikeowski

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 01:38:07 PM
Why is it the wrong forum? Should he ask people who don't play keyboard instruments why they chose a keyboard instrument over others?

I started playing the piano because of Billy Joel. Though I rarely ever listen to his music anymore, I'm still grateful to him because I seem to have quite some talent for playing the piano and otherwise I might have learned the guitar (I almost started one time) and probably would have stopped already  and put music aside (Right now, I just can't stand guitars somehow).
But I plan to one day learn another instrument. Probably the flute, maybe the violin. So piano is definitely no exclusive choice for me.

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 02:28:41 PM
Hi,

Well I chose the piano because it spoke to me. After beginning to listen to classical music 2 years ago, I found piano covers of songs and such on youtube. I feel in love with Bach's music, chopin, mozart, beethoven and of late Tchaikovsky and Scarlatti as well.

I don't know how this even started, I just decided I wanted to play the piano, I didn't even view it as a instrument at the time (which is 1.5 months ago) but majestic force that just drew me nearer. Eventually - with a lot of hassle - I got an acoustic home for just 600-800 dollars. It was recommended by my piano teacher. It plays very well and I'm not sure at all what the benefit would be of getting a more expensive piano at this stage. Certainly not another upright.....Maybe a digital piano and a grand in 1 or 2 decennia.

Other instruments? My my, TEMPTING! I have a colleague at my intership that has played the guitar for 20 years or so. The guitar is very interesting but I just like the soft/poppy music on it. I mean, it's an easier instrument in the sense of portability, but I don't think I'd ever trade me piano in for it.

Actually the violin attracted me before the piano but by a force of nature (God) I chose the piano. Ever since I'm really happy and am now wrestling with a Bach piece, minuet in g major.

My co-worker has the audacity to claim the guitar is better, but I just don't respond negatively to that, why should I? To each his own, right?

I just don't want to pick another instrument up and have to divide my attention thus making my piano potential lower. I've seen some people on youtube that can play guitar and piano, but they have too much free time (no offence meant to anyone).

And in the future, maybe it would be wise to rephrase the 'keyboard' bit to Percussion instrument or klavier.

Offline henrikhank

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 03:24:05 PM
Why did you choose playing/learning keyboards instead of other instruments, eg. guitarr (or maybe you actually play it)?
it just happened. I always knew keyboard instruments would be my thing. The first keyboard instrument I came in contact with must have been the small pump organ and then the piano. It's a vocation, you may say. I've tried guitar but it's not for me I guess. Another innstrument I would like to learn is my voice.

and what is your reason/purpose for playing keyboards, ie why do you do it?
A monk told me: ""Nihil operi Dei praeponatur", says St. Benedict, literally, let nothing be preferred to God's opera. "
I want to play to express myself to God and love Him with music.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 03:36:00 PM
When I was a little kid, my aunt bought me some classical CD's and I would listen to them every night before I went to bed.

Then when I was nine, they kinda forced me into piano lessons.

But little did they know that after the first lesson I would get hooked on to it.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 03:48:42 PM
When I was a little kid, my aunt bought me some classical CD's and I would listen to them every night before I went to bed.

Then when I was nine, they kinda forced me into piano lessons.

But little did they know that after the first lesson, I would get hooked on to it.

Who do you think you are fooling??

We all know that you had a dream of Valentina when you were 5 and knew ever since that you want to be exactly like her!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 04:26:19 PM

We all know that you had a dream of Valentina when you were 5 and knew ever since that you want to be exactly like her!

Actually I wanna carry on Scriabins plan to end the world.

Offline austinarg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 04:34:15 PM

So he is some kind of Lisitsian prophet?
“Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.” - Thelonious Monk

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 04:39:46 PM
wHAT!

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 04:40:56 PM

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 05:11:25 PM
So now I am finally old enough to need reading glasses  :'(

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 08:22:27 PM
So now I am finally old enough to need reading glasses  :'(

Or you could just zoom in.  :P

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 08:23:29 PM
wHAT!

Jeez!  What I said was...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 11:42:19 PM
Jeez!  What I said was...

Will a piano transcription of the Mysterium do it? Or, should you change course and become a conductor, or a musical entrepreneur?  :-\
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert