Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: High School Classes?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline keelan

• PS Silver Member
High School Classes?
on: October 04, 2012, 01:01:21 AM
I'm a sophomore in high school and I'm wondering what classes you recommend for being able to juggle both academics and music. I'm interested in both (mainly music), but I'd still like to get a strong academic background before I go to college and take mainly music courses.

Thank you for your input!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: High School Classes?
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:27:51 AM
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated failures. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.”
~ Calvin Coolidge

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 07:28:47 AM
If I were a parent, I would forbid my children from going to college.  They better have a really, really good reason to waste a couple of years of their life while, at the same time, go into deep debt while they may or may not actually learn anything.  If they want to go to college to party, I'd rather give them $10 for admission to a rave and another $20 for an ecstasy pill.  I know you can get those for half price, but I don't want my children to OD on cheap, tainted crap, only to be sent to the ER.  ERs are expensive and can cost several thousand in hospital bills alone.  The ambulance ride would be several hundred on top of that.  Then the doctor bills...  All added up, that $30 doesn't sound like much to send my kid out to party instead of college but if they party once each week for 32 weeks a year, that's only $960 a year.  Over four years, that's only $3840.  Now compare to the national average of college debt: $23,186 (according to https://www.finaid.org/loans/).

Now if you were a parent, you might not be so fond of that $20 for an X pill.  You may not want your kid on X.  Then, a cheaper solution would be to give your kid $15 for hit of pot.  Pot's a lot cheaper and you can share a hit.  So now, it's only $25 a week.  That's only $800!  Per year!  A savings of $160 over ecstasy!  And, when they get home, they won't be in any mood to argue. 

Now that's savvy parenting. ;D

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 11:45:24 AM
If I were a parent, I would forbid my children from going to college.  They better have a really, really good reason to waste a couple of years of their life while, at the same time, go into deep debt while they may or may not actually learn anything.  If they want to go to college to party, I'd rather give them $10 for admission to a rave and another $20 for an ecstasy pill.  I know you can get those for half price, but I don't want my children to OD on cheap, tainted crap, only to be sent to the ER.  ERs are expensive and can cost several thousand in hospital bills alone.  The ambulance ride would be several hundred on top of that.  Then the doctor bills...  All added up, that $30 doesn't sound like much to send my kid out to party instead of college but if they party once each week for 32 weeks a year, that's only $960 a year.  Over four years, that's only $3840.  Now compare to the national average of college debt: $23,186 (according to https://www.finaid.org/loans/).

Now if you were a parent, you might not be so fond of that $20 for an X pill.  You may not want your kid on X.  Then, a cheaper solution would be to give your kid $15 for hit of pot.  Pot's a lot cheaper and you can share a hit.  So now, it's only $25 a week.  That's only $800!  Per year!  A savings of $160 over ecstasy!  And, when they get home, they won't be in any mood to argue.  

Now that's savvy parenting. ;D
you hit/hint @ some very valid points that the 'mainstream media' are conviniently ignoring...i.e this myth that everyone needs to go to and aspire to go to college and that education =job=income....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/03/joseph-stiglitz-american-dream_n_1935564.html?utm_hp_ref=business

the numbers have been studied and re-studied/verified.....
"...'The American Dream Has Become a Myth', Spiegel: ...Spiegel: The US has always thought of itself as a land of opportunity where people can go from rags to riches. What has become of the American dream?

Stiglitz: This belief is still powerful, but the American dream has become a myth. The life chances of a young US citizen are more dependent on the income and education of his parents than in any other advanced industrial country... The belief in the American dream is not supported by the data..."

Offline austinarg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 12:57:15 PM
Here in Argentina we have public universities (it means we don't pay any kind of admission fees or courses) which actually are way better than private universities (those that do charge fees). Perhaps there are other countries with this higher education system, but the fact that in USA you must put yourself in a life-lasting debt in order to go to college is very sad.
“Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.” - Thelonious Monk
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert